+ Reply to Thread

Default Pre-Op and Post-Op questions

Hello Everyone!

I'm having my HT done in a couple of months. I did a ton of research like a bunch of you suggested and still have some questions. One was in regards to the sun (post-op). However, that was answered in another thread. Thanks!

What about scalp stretching exercises pre-op. Is this important? If so, what do I need to do?

Tobacco Use: How important is it to stop tobacco use before and after the HT. I know I need to quit but one thing at a time.....or is it time?

I'm concerned about how I will look when I return to work. I can only take 2 weeks off and unfortunately I can't wear a hat to work.
    What happens to the existing hair in the recipient area after the HT?
    If I have them shaved for the HT, will they grow with the rest of my existing hair as normal? Does anyone have a link to pics of 2 weeks out?

Besides taking Finasteride, should I be using any certain kind or brand of shampoo to make my hair more healthy or assist with the HT? What about vitamins?

I'd be very stoked if someone can answer any one of these questions.

Thanks,

Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    Hello Everyone!

I'm having my HT done in a couple of months. I did a ton of research like a bunch of you suggested and still have some questions. One was in regards to the sun (post-op). However, that was answered in another thread. Thanks!

What about scalp stretching exercises pre-op. Is this important? If so, what do I need to do?

Tobacco Use: How important is it to stop tobacco use before and after the HT. I know I need to quit but one thing at a time.....or is it time?

I'm concerned about how I will look when I return to work. I can only take 2 weeks off and unfortunately I can't wear a hat to work.
    What happens to the existing hair in the recipient area after the HT?
    If I have them shaved for the HT, will they grow with the rest of my existing hair as normal? Does anyone have a link to pics of 2 weeks out?

Besides taking Finasteride, should I be using any certain kind or brand of shampoo to make my hair more healthy or assist with the HT? What about vitamins?

I'd be very stoked if someone can answer any one of these questions.

Thanks,

Dude
    I think the most important thing to do is to stop smoking a couple of weeks before your surgery. The association between cigarette smoking and delayed wound healing is well documented. The Nicotine in cigarettes is a vasoconstrictor that reduces nutritional blood flow to the skin, resulting in impaired healing of injured tissue. There are a host of toxins in cigarettes which can impair healing. It’s bad news all around. In my opinion, if you want optimal results you have to stop smoking!
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Thanks Spencer,

I was afraid that would be the answer. However, I've been wanting to quit for some time now. Hopefully this HT surgery will be the incentive I need. Also, I became a father 11 months ago and want to see my son grow up!

What sort of procedure have you elected to get? Strip? FUE?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Lindsey's Avatar

Spencer is exactly on target. Smoking is so bad for preop surgical physiology. It decreases oxygen to the tissues, and I think it decreases growth and success of hair; but I can't prove this YET.

I got a grant from the ISHRS last year and we've established an animal model in which we can study hair revascularization. Depending on the results of this; and future funding of course, I'd like to study the effects of smoking on hair transplant surgery next.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA
    William Lindsey, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Thanks Dr. Lindsey,
    I am going to try to quit smoking for good. My surgery is in 5 weeks and I'm going to try to quit 3 weeks before my HT.
    However, Ive been smoking for over 20 years and know it will be hard to quit. I may need assistance with something like the "patch" or nicorette gum. Will those hinder my results like actual smoking? Or should I just try to quit cold turkey.

@ CITgirl
    I'm going with a "strip" HT by Dr. Haber in Cleveland.
    I found him by visiting this forum. I guess I'm in good hands. He seems to do good work. I've never read anything negative about him. Any comments? Anyone?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Lindsey's Avatar

At a facial plastic meeting a few years ago I recall a speaker saying that nicotine substitutes were no better than cigarettes for wound infection risks. I don't know if that has panned out scientifically.

I've blogged before that I have a grant and we are studying hair vascularization after transplant in rats. IF we are successful in creating a model for this, then one of my first projects is to evaluate nicotine on hair revascularization...

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA
    William Lindsey, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

His dudeness or El duderino,

Just thought I'd stick my oar in - I used to be a heavy smoker, and what got me to quit was a book called Alan Carr's Easyway to stop smoking (isbn 978-1402718618). It involves no patches, gum, hypnosis etc, it is just a book.

It really helped me, and I always feel the urge to recommend it whenever I hear smoker's looking to quit!

Best of luck with everything.