+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation does FUT produce "better" results?

Slowly getting advice from a variety of surgeons now regarding my potential HT in the near future. A lot are recommending FUT over FUE as they can achieve much better results.

However, after my research on here I seem to see a lot that there is not a great difference in results between the 2 procedures? I honest am just scared of having that scar with me for life on the back of my head . . Can anyone offer any advice on this?

Thanks

Ooh , you've done it now - opened the proverbial can of worms .

It all depends on your circumstances and expectations . Check this and similar forums , and the internet generally , and you'll find out all the pros and cons of each method . You'll come across a lot of biased opinions one way or the other , so just digest the information and make the decision that's best for you .

Doctors who primarily perform FUT are going to suggest FUT over FUE, surgeons who perform FUE will suggest FUE, I've had a bit less than 4,000 grafts all via FUE I was Norwood 6 refer to my avatar, I don't think I'd look any different had I gone FUT, most important aspect of surgery is surgeon selection.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon WHTC Clinic's Avatar

FUT is solely about donor harvesting. A good surgeon will produce the same aesthetic results with both FUT and FUE. Experience is by far the most important determining factor to yield better results. The results are essentially the same among the two procedures. Don't settle for a linear scar because of the reduction in cost.
    Click here for a free hair loss recommendation from Dr. Patrick Mwamba

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC clinic.

Consultations with Dr. Patrick Mwamba
    London, UK - Available (Sat.)
    Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Sat.)
    Bologna, Italy - Available (Sat.)
    Brussels, Belgium - Available (Mon. - Sun.)

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Email
    customer.care@mywhtc.com
    Telephone
    +32 479-75-3281 (Belgium)
    +44-203-318-6228 (UK)
    les meilleures solutions chirurgicales pour la perte de cheveux

Lightbulb

When i first got FUE surgery, the doc told me that his FUE matches his FUT.

But the thing is, with FUT they are able to see the graft down to the bottom and hence it inproves some chances to get good results in good hands.

With FUE, ive seen cases where the doctors are so so skilled that they can attain outstanding yield even impressively on higher norwoods. However, docs with improper surgical protocols cant get outstanding results with most hair types. Docs that do what is best for patient safety , such as doing extractions themselves, breaking up surgeries into smaller procedures, working on one patient at a time, making sure grafts are not out of body for long periods, making sure rookies are not around you during the procedure, and etc can increase your chances towards an amazing result. If proper protocols are not followed and if the doctor ignores the patient and their concerns and does it how they want, then things can go downhill. It can leave you in a mess after you paid so much for marketed perfection.

Any compensated entity that says it doesn't matter how a doc extracts or doesnt matter that if techs extract fue grafts are complacent in deceptive business practices. This goes for stating bogus long length growth times to kill patient times for repair amongst many other things. Its about time archiving and monitoring of business practices and statements etc has initiated.

FUE can be beautiful in the right hands. Not all recommended docs can deliver FUE consistently more than others, some just do it consistently better and safer. Patient safety should be paramount and the surgical protocols of some docs put patients at elevated risks. Just because a doctor pays a fee to for marketing purposes does not mean he or she is the go to person, because at the end of the day, you may have some tech extract that is learning a surgical procedure.

Just be careful, talk to real patients and see if you can meet them in person. Meet those with your type of hairloss and hair type, talk to docs globally, not just those near your home. Document your progress and emails as you may or may not need them later. Make sure you have the doc state in writing upfront what options they will give you as recourse if something goes bad, PRIOR to paying deposits. From refunds to repair to what, because they end up screwing up, they rarely give full refunds and try to get you back in the chair or etc. get consents and things in writing priot to deposit, and if doc doesnt answer or responds halfway, dont comtact them again as that is your signal to stay away, does not matter if that said doc is recommended or screened or if he is on any list or etc. good luck with your search and be safe.

Some would disagree, but I think FUT probably still gives higher yield. I think way too much is made about FUT scarring and not enough about FUE scarring. Most FUT scars are very hard to detect in the real world, but things are marketed in such a way that FUT is presented to a lot of patients as "scary."

if you have a surgeon that is highly experienced in FUE and CONTINUALLY produces good results, then I would go with FUE. FUT is obviously a lot easier for most surgeons, because they are dissecting follicles from a strip under a microscope. FUE becomes troublesome, when transection of the harvested follicles becomes an issue for the surgeon. for example, if the person performing FUE becomes exhausted during a long procedure and doesn't follow the angle of the hair correctly. I personally hope that more of the best fue surgeons become very very skilled in robotic harvesting to avoid these mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    things are marketed in such a way that FUT is presented to a lot of patients as "scary."
    Once you understand what happens in a FUT (strip) procedure, many guys don't want it. It's not "marketing" it's understanding reality... what the procedure entails, and not pretending that a hair transplant is like getting a haircut, or "as easy as going to the dentist" or that the hair magically flies from the donor area into the balding area, the way that infommercials portray it.