+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 23 just had a consult, was told I'm too young for finasteride, not sure what to think

Yesterday I was finally able to go for a consult at a hair clinic (Hair Plus MC in the Netherlands. Since I'm not looking for a transplant I just went to the closest one). Basically, I told the nurse about all my symptoms:

- Hairline that is still receding (pics)
    - History of hairloss (maternal grandfather had MPB + my 36yo half-brother does, same mother different father. Should mention his father has MPB, but mine has no hair loss at 60). My temples have receded slightly further than my dad's since about a year.
    - Losing a lot of hairs on top of head, not at sides/back. Hairs coming out are often thin and light, all with bulb at the end
    - Counting at least 50+ every time I wash my hair, but it's hard to count so might be closer to a 100 sometimes (but I usually wash it once every two days)
    - Noticing some of those short thin hairs around hairline, even some peach fuzz on my right temple/corner where it has most recently receded. (tried to take pic but I don't think iPhone5 is good enough for this)
    - Hair in general feels and looks thinner to me on top than in the back. Even running my hands lightly through my hair I often notice 5+ hairs coming out. Nothing comes out of the back no matter how hard I pull.
    - Scalp itch, but no dandruff, or scalp issues
    - Had blood tested for hyperthyroidism and iron deficiency (since I'm also underweight) but no issues there.

So what she told me is that she thought I was too young for propecia, and she advised me to use ketoconazole shampoo for the itch start using minoxidil to hold on to my hair and then come back if it gets worse.

I guess there's nothing wrong with that advice, it's just that I'm worried my hair will get worse a lot faster now since I've only noticed increased hair loss for about 6 months and it already feels noticable thinner to me. I feel like now is the moment to use propecia if ever, because now is when I have the most hair to hold on to. It seems clear to me that I have MPB on account of my symptoms.

The reason she wouldn't give me a prescription is that she doesn't like the idea of someone being on that drug for 15+ years until a cure comes out because of the way it affects your hormones. It's not that I disagree, but I'm afraid minoxidil will not maintain my hair the way that propecia can, and now while my hair loss is still minimal and hard to notice after styling my hair, and there are some great new treatments on the horizon (replicel, histogen, etc.), it would be the most beneficial time to use propecia.

It seems to me that so many guys here my age and younger are on propecia. Maybe it's a Dutch thing to be apprehensive about preventive medication, but I can't help but feel like propecia might not be such a bad idea for me. I just don't like that advice 'come back when it's worse'

Does anyone have similar experiences with doctors not subscribing propecia? Do you think I should get a second opinion at another clinic? Would it help to contact and IAHRS-listed clinic (Going to Belgium is a slight hassle but certainly doable)? Should I just go for minoxidil+keto shampoo and forget about propecia?

Thanks

I've only ever heard of <18 being too young for Finasteride... maybe a different doctor will help you out?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon WHTC Clinic's Avatar

You may not be experiencing MPB, but the shedding may be caused by a skin condition. Has the itching stopped since ketoconazole? No two individuals are the same when it comes to hair loss. Your goals are key to finding the most beneficial hair loss treatments.
    Click here for a free hair loss recommendation from Dr. Patrick Mwamba

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC clinic.

Consultations with Dr. Patrick Mwamba
    London, UK - Available (Sat.)
    Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Sat.)
    Bologna, Italy - Available (Sat.)
    Brussels, Belgium - Available (Mon. - Sun.)

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Email
    customer.care@mywhtc.com
    Telephone
    +32 479-75-3281 (Belgium)
    +44-203-318-6228 (UK)
    les meilleures solutions chirurgicales pour la perte de cheveux

Quote Originally Posted by WHTC Clinic View Post
    You may not be experiencing MPB, but the shedding may be caused by a skin condition. Has the itching stopped since ketoconazole? No two individuals are the same when it comes to hair loss. Your goals are key to finding the most beneficial hair loss treatments.
    I've only used the keto shampoo (I bought Regenepure DR) once two days ago and I don't really feel like it changed much yet. I have to say the scalp itch is very minor, it's not constantly present but it comes and goes a few times a day. Sometimes I feel like there is a tiny bump where the itch is, but that's uncommon. Both my GP and the nurse at the hair clinic looked at my hair and my scalp and didn't say anything about my scalp looking irritated or something.

I really do feel like I'm seeing minitiurization take place. A lot of the hairs I lose tend to be thin and lacking colour. They're only coming from the top of my head. I mean, with a history of hair loss in the family, what else could it realistically be?

Hey is your scalp itch on your hair line and temples?

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreno515 View Post
    Hey is your scalp itch on your hair line and temples?
    No, it's mostly on the centre top of the scalp, more often on the right side of that area than the mid/left (right side of my head also has more temple recession)

That's how my hair loss is, I have more thinning on the right side and my hair is receded more on that side. I also get the itch on the right side and not so much the left.

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreno515 View Post
    That's how my hair loss is, I have more thinning on the right side and my hair is receded more on that side. I also get the itch on the right side and not so much the left.
    How old are you? Is your hair loss similar to mine? Are you treating it?

Its some what similar, I have a thread that has my temples but its hard to tell with mine but I am not treating it with finasteride or minoxidil only because I am nervous about side with fin and possibly making my hair worse but that shouldn't stop you from making a better choice then me, if anything yoh would probably be making a wise choice. I do however take vitamins to try to slow some of it down but it is not as effective as proven treatments. What do you feel like you should do?

How is your crown area?