+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by ukcali View Post
    I had my transplant about 2 1/2 years ago. It's changed my life.

I was very depressed before about my hair loss and would spend huge amounts of time focus sing on it (and coming on here and reading everything I could). I started by taking propecia (after thinking long and hard about it), which made a big difference. It has thickened my hair and stopped the loss getting any worse.

I then had my transplant and now I am at a point where I hardly think about it anymore. That's the most liberating thing. It's not that I'm 100% happy with my hair, I'm not, but I'm at a point now where I just don't think about it much. Ideally I would really like a lower hairline, some more grafts to thicken it a bit but if I'm being honest none of this is necessary. I once read one here that hair transplants are like having money, it doesn't matter how much you've got, you'll always want more.

Overall - it's honestly changed my life. I'm at a point now that i never thought I would be.
    Are you still on propecia?

Youonlyliveone - wow what an amazing result. Glad you're so happy!

I agree with what he said, a lot of people who have successful transplants move on and stop frequenting these forums as much (I know I have. I could count in one hand the amount of times I've been on here since I've had mine, whereas I used to be on here daily). The key to successful surgery is being well informed. Read EVERYTHING you can find. Stabilise your hair loss & find a good surgeon.

Before my hair transplant I didn't have suicidal thoughts every day but now after my hair transplant i have suicidal thoughts everyday

Quote Originally Posted by pidda View Post
    Before my hair transplant I didn't have suicidal thoughts every day but now after my hair transplant i have suicidal thoughts everyday
    explain why?

You all will never get the best help here because of the restrictions by these mods.

Quote Originally Posted by JSmyth View Post
    Could you guys comment a bit on your hair transplant history. What pattern and age you were at when you first had an ht.

I have been considering one but reading stories like these is certainly good information. I am really sorry to hear about your bad experiences. Hair loss is such a terrible affliction.
    I'm Asian. My hair was thinning--[Norwood 3]--as far back as I could remember when I was 16 or 18. I combed my hair forward to cover up the thinning areas. NEVER combed back or slicked back. First attempt to deal with it ever was with Propecia in my early 20s. Went off it (for a little while), and I didn't remember why; maybe because it was inconvenient for me financially at the time. And went on Minoxidil and have been on ever since.

In June 2010, I had my first hair transplant (HT1) on the temples and a bit bordering the frontal and sides. And looking fine a year or two after, I did wish it could be a bit denser, but I was kind of satisfied at the time. (I was back on Minoxidil 2 weeks after the transplant--to help keep my existing hair and to help transplanted hair grow faster.) And back on Finasteride (generic Propecia) as well.

June 2014, I had my 2nd hair transplant (HT2), because I realized that I wasn't satisfied. *By this time, I was paying attention to my brother who had no HT, and he said he wouldn't ever. He was thinning on the temples and also the crown (Norwood 3V). Interestingly, my crown was full and dense--it must have been because of the Finasteride for sure.

June 2016, decidedly I had my 3rd and "last" hair transplant (HT3). By this time, it was for vanity reason and I had just started a YouTube channel [not about my HT experiences] where people could see my whole face and hair. YouTube people and it's community are ruthless and full of trolls--mean comments are rampant. "Last" because I know that the spaces between the hairs are too close for more HT...I think. That is, I don't think I can get any denser. You can examine my pictures I posted. *And I have had enough knowledge and based on my research for over 6 years, I think I'm done.

However, who knows, may be I could have some other alternative to HT or do more HT in the future. Again, I don't think I could get any denser. However, with the medicine & Minoxidil and proper nutrition and supplements, I have noticed my hair is fuller and thinker than ever.

*In a couple of months, I will post pictures of my hair styled and cut since I just had my 3rd HT. (Dated June 2016.)

Reading this thread breaks my heart however i can see the light in it also.

This thread really proves how few really bad outcomes we have, just like other surgeries. Something i've learned from doctors is that all surgeries are risky. I would think we'd have way more bad stories.

I would guess that if someone got a transplant and was happy with it, we wouldn't see this person on the forums anymore. Who wants to hang out at a forum like this.

I read a lot of transplant stories (before and after pictures...) at this and other forums and many look really good.
    Why those who had bad transplants doesn't recommend one even though they've seen some really good transplants is something i don't understand.

You all will never get the best help here because of the restrictions by these mods.

Quote Originally Posted by rappy View Post
    Reading this thread breaks my heart however i can see the light in it also.

I would guess that if someone got a transplant and was happy with it, we wouldn't see this person on the forums anymore. Who wants to hang out at a forum like this.
    I think you guessed right. I just got back on these forums lately, the last time I was here was in 2010. Since then, I've had two more HT. I was happy with my 1st (so I thought), and I didn't think back. It's a personal privacy thing to most, I assume. Some of us, I would say most of us, are embarrassed to share something that we rather keep to ourselves. Coping with the shame we feel about losing hair isn't pleasant, believing we are unattractive and so forth. In our minds, according to psychologists, it's a disorder comparable to body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) syndrome. Indeed, it's not plesant. Now I'm on my 3rd and back on these forums seeking more support and info and sharing info about HT.