View Poll Results: Niacin hurts or helps hair regrowth?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hurts

0 0%
  • Helps

1 100.00%
+ Reply to Thread

Default Niacin Flushing fuels more hair loss, your thoughts?

Since the flush that comes from Niacin is caused by PGD2 and the fact that elevated levels of PGD2 are found in balding scalp tissue, do we all agree that Niacin flushing actually makes your hair loss problem worse, contrary to what was previously thought? Many hair loss product today still include niacin as key ingredient to hair regrowth. So i am confused.

What is everyone's thought on this? Does it help or hurt one's hair loss?

?????
    Quote Originally Posted by Blushark View Post
    Since the flush that comes from Niacin is caused by PGD2 and the fact that elevated levels of PGD2 are found in balding scalp tissue, do we all agree that Niacin flushing actually makes your hair loss problem worse, contrary to what was previously thought? Many hair loss product today still include niacin as key ingredient to hair regrowth. So i am confused.

What is everyone's thought on this? Does it help or hurt one's hair loss?

I actually spent a good portion of yesterday researching the same thing! I stopped using my B vitamin complex because it had Niacin a few months back. We get niacin from coffee, oils and a lot of other daily things we eat which increases PGD2. BUT, some of what I read yesterday made it seem that during a Niacin Flush, PGD2 is actually released from stored areas of the body, say for example the scalp, which is why it is found in larger amounts during a Niacin flush. The increase of PGD2 from Niacin isn't from production of PGD2 but from it being released from stored areas is what I came away with yesterday.
    I'm still not 100% sure how this works but I read a lot of personal testimonies and all said their hair felt better after the niacin flush, none reported increased shedding.
    Hopefully the smarter people in the forum will chime in, I really want to know for sure!

I read the same stuff as you did. For what I found it seems there is a misunderstanding about niacin and that in fact it does not worsen hair loss. I'll try and find that paragraph I read on another hairloss forum.

Here is what I found, it's from 2012 on another hair loss forum. However, I have no idea if this info is correct. Maybe someone on here with better knowledge on the subject can confirm. I have a problem where I have bad circulation in my extremities (Raynaud's disease), so at the very least maybe Niacin can help that.

"There are two types of PGD2 receptors, DP1 and DP2 (DP2 is also known as 'GPR44' and 'CRTH2'). Laropiprant (Merck's drug) selectively blocks the PD1 receptor - Cotsarelis showed that the PD2 receptor (and not PD1) is involved in hair growth downregulation. BTW, niacin produces flushing via the PD1 receptor - the PD2 receptor is not involved in the flushing at all."

"Niacin flushes PGD2 through the receptor that have nothing to do with hair loss, Niacin flush doesn't make make you lose hair, in fact it makes PGD2 less available to be used with the receptor that damages the hair. And knowing that lowering PGD2 it more important that raising PGE and PGf2a, i would say Niacin is a must for anyone wanting to keep hair, based on all the information now available."
    Last edited by Blushark; 02-15-2016 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Bad referece