+ Reply to Thread

Default Depleted layer of fat under the balding scalp

I've read that bald people have a depleted layer of fat under their scalp, while people with hair have a thick layer. Why is this?

Could it be that the DHT makes the fat disappear or something?

And is this how kerastem works? More fat under the scalp = more hair?

I have also noticed that the skin on the top of my head is a lot thinner/ tighter now compared to when I was younger. Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes.
    There is a post about it with some theory in another forum, which says that cold
    therapy can help to reverse that situation. I still don't know what I think about it.

Its probably just hair stem cells malfunction or suffer some type of cellular damage as you get older causing that to happen over the years. I mean the simple truth is like most questions about MPB is no one has a damn clue why. Your guess is as good as mine. Thats why we still use DHT inhibitors no one knows anything more than that. DHT certainly isnt the root cause of MPB it happens at some more complex cellular pathways that no one understands yet like the WNT pathway

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Its probably just hair stem cells malfunction or suffer some type of cellular damage as you get older causing that to happen over the years. I mean the simple truth is like most questions about MPB is no one has a damn clue why. Your guess is as good as mine. Thats why we still use DHT inhibitors no one knows anything more than that. DHT certainly isnt the root cause of MPB it happens at some more complex cellular pathways that no one understands yet like the WNT pathway
    If baldness wouldnīt only occur in males, then yes, we wouldnīt understand the cause of it. However, nature made sure to let certain cells on the top of our head differentiate in a way that leads to hair loss in response to dht and testosterone exposure. DHT and testosterone is the cause. We should not act as if we donīt know whats causing mpb and how to cure it. Dht and testosterone is the most upstream target of hair loss treatment. Without DHT/Testo exposure (or sensitivity to it), no further hair loss occurs.
    Sure, there is a hidden mechanism in place that makes these cells and their environment different from the cells at the back of the head. That is the one you are referring to. But if we ever find this mechanism (it might only be an epigenetic change like a methylation that leads to an amplified transcription of 5-alpha-reductase in the respective cells), we will again have to find a way to intervene without effecting the whole body.
    Easier solution: Accept that we found the most upstream target of the causal chain that leads to mpb long time ago (the interaction between androgen receptor and androgen) and that now we need to find a way to specifically intervene here without affecting the rest of the body. Its the easiest way to a perfect cure.
    I feel like a lot of research and mental efforts are going into a fruitless direction. Feel free to check my thread. I would like to see people focusing on what will bring the most likely cure again.

And about the actual question of the thread: it is simply a correlation between bald scalp and fat layer. If someone finds a correlation like this, it simply means that there CAN be a causal link (if there is no correlation, there canīt be a causal link), like more fat->more hair. But it can also mean more hair->more fat. Or it can mean that fat cells respond to the inflammatory environment in mpb by "disappearing". There can be a thousand reasons for a correlation and only one of these thousand possible reasons is more fat>more hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    If baldness wouldnīt only occur in males, then yes, we wouldnīt understand the cause of it.
    Baldness does occur in women. Up to 40% of women will experience androgenetic alopecia at some point in their lives. The only difference is it happens diffusely and not in the horse-shoe pattern of men.

If you think about it for 5 seconds its clear DHT can't be the root cause. If it was DHT would cause all your hair to fall out since it would effect all hair follicles equally.

However almost every person with AGA has hair follicles that are completely resistant to whatever damage DHT inflicts. Eyebrow hair follicles, occipital hair around the head, beard and body hair. In fact you can't even grow a beard without DHT so the idea that DHT is the root cause of hair loss makes no sense.

It's the genetics of the hair follicle that are at issue.

DHT is the primary trigger for causing susceptible follicles to miniaturize but it is not the primary cause.

Dutasteride eliminates 90%+ of DHT in the body, but there are plenty of people who still go bald even when taking Dutasteride+Finasteride.

We have enough studies now that show stem cells reduce in number and cease to function properly to know that it is to do with cell damage/cell aging, and that DHT just happens to be the principal accelerant in most men. However you will still end up bald even if you take huge doses of DHT blocking drugs.

True, but each hair might be sensitive to the androgens by different amounts maybe the density/layout of androgen receptors is something that changes or varies by person. The sensitivity to the androgens is a major open question as to why hair is sensitive to it while body hair grows in the presence of it

I dont know if I agree here. I think MPB can be prevented completely if you stop T/DHT at the onset of MPB at the very beginning. The issue is what treatment can stop testosterone? Nothing really we just have things that lower DHT but raise T. I would be pretty amazed to see a guy start going bald, get on DUT, and end up NW 7 still. Would be very very unusual. make no mistake DHT is a very major player its almost unarguable at this point.
    However you will still end up bald even if you take huge doses of DHT blocking drugs.