+ Reply to Thread

Default I think it's time..

Hey Folks,

I've had a good read over the HT forum, just after a little guidance before a big call..

32 yrs old now, used Rogaine Foam 5% from the age of 25 (around 5 years). I was thinning and it slowed it down quite significantly. Continued to thin much slower and was happy to stick with this long-term 'til they invent that magic pill

But at 30ish, it seemed to lose its power and the thinning accelerated quickly. So I tried a couple of different minox-based products and ended up sticking with the Minoxidil 10% cream.

I'd been using it for around 2 years and again it was doing a good job, in fact there was some re-growth even. Things looked up again. Happy days

Until around 6 months ago and the thinning starts up again. Its been a savage phase, I've just taken photos of the top of my head and I'm in shock. Seriously depressing sight for me (photo attached below, I hope..)

The itchy scalp is a fairly new one for me. Not really had this before so got some nizoral now. Reading up, makes sense it's likely a side-effect of the latest loss..

Knowing it was bad (not quite how bad!) I'd already booked a couple of FUE consultations for later this month

The one thing I've never tried is Propecia (Finasteride and whatever other names its called!).
    I know its proven but the possibility (even if its 5%) of those side effects has always played on my mind and so thought, I'm not a good candidate. Didn't want to be sitting around all day just thinking whether everything is ticking along ok downstairs..

So just asking for your thoughts really..
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg

Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	44808
    - bearing in mind I'm thinning right now, its not stabilized, am I a good candidate for FUE?

- Any recommendations for FUE consultants in London? (i won't be pressured in to doing it by a fancy consultant...but it's good to talk

- and the 1 question I'm most scared of (even more than surgery!), if I want to keep my hair, do I need to re-consider Propecia?
    (I have zero idea of dosage , where I'd get it from , what to look out for)

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDoor View Post
    Hey Folks,

I've had a good read over the HT forum, just after a little guidance before a big call..

32 yrs old now, used Rogaine Foam 5% from the age of 25 (around 5 years). I was thinning and it slowed it down quite significantly. Continued to thin much slower and was happy to stick with this long-term 'til they invent that magic pill

But at 30ish, it seemed to lose its power and the thinning accelerated quickly. So I tried a couple of different minox-based products and ended up sticking with the Minoxidil 10% cream.

I'd been using it for around 2 years and again it was doing a good job, in fact there was some re-growth even. Things looked up again. Happy days

Until around 6 months ago and the thinning starts up again. Its been a savage phase, I've just taken photos of the top of my head and I'm in shock. Seriously depressing sight for me (photo attached below, I hope..)

The itchy scalp is a fairly new one for me. Not really had this before so got some nizoral now. Reading up, makes sense it's likely a side-effect of the latest loss..

Knowing it was bad (not quite how bad!) I'd already booked a couple of FUE consultations for later this month

The one thing I've never tried is Propecia (Finasteride and whatever other names its called!).
    I know its proven but the possibility (even if its 5%) of those side effects has always played on my mind and so thought, I'm not a good candidate. Didn't want to be sitting around all day just thinking whether everything is ticking along ok downstairs..

So just asking for your thoughts really..
    Attachment 44808
    - bearing in mind I'm thinning right now, its not stabilized, am I a good candidate for FUE?

- Any recommendations for FUE consultants in London? (i won't be pressured in to doing it by a fancy consultant...but it's good to talk

- and the 1 question I'm most scared of (even more than surgery!), if I want to keep my hair, do I need to re-consider Propecia?
    (I have zero idea of dosage , where I'd get it from , what to look out for)
    Asking if you're a good candidate for any hair transplant surgery while being in the midst of continued loss is like asking if you should build a new house on quicksand. In other words, you'll probably have to do it all over again.

I think you should absolutely NOT get a hair transplant at this stage. You should seek out professional medical advice, preferably by a professional that is in the hair restoration business. In the London area you can see Dr. Ball at The Maitland Clinic. He'll give you the information and advice you need. You can also consider the Farjos or possibly hop over to Brussels to meet with Dr. Lupanzula or any of the other IAHRS member doctors there.

Finally, if you haven't tried it, and it is the last defense, finasteride may be the answer but only your doctor can help you with that one.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

hmmm, fair analogy.. and clear direction.. !

I'll be calling thru to those London based restoration professionals

Thanks for taking the time

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Hey there CellarDoor,

Joe Tillman's suggestions to you are REAL and GOOD.

Be accepting of how things are for TODAY.

Later on, things can and would be better for you if you do all the right things.
    One of which being,,DO NOT worry or stress yourself out.
    No reason to worry.
    Stress WILL cause more problems than you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Hey there CellarDoor,

Joe Tillman's suggestions to you are REAL and GOOD.

Be accepting of how things are for TODAY.

Later on, things can and would be better for you if you do all the right things.
    One of which being,,DO NOT worry or stress yourself out.
    No reason to worry.
    Stress WILL cause more problems than you know.
    Cheers Artista,

I'll be seeing a couple of "experts", if for nothing other than a chat

And re stress, totally agree. A few years ago during a stressful time, I managed to cause myself alopecia. Two big circles on my head. But, have calmed since then.

For many years I've been considering getting a dog. (Not because of this fact), but apparently dogs are proven to be an excellent anti-depressant (I'm not depressed, but you know what i mean)

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Good to hear back from you right away bro!!
    Your response is very good too.
    You seeming to be a lot more positive and that's very good!!
    You have the experience of knowing what stress can do to you!!
    I experienced the same thing years ago stress had a big effect on my scalp!
    If you could let other people here know about what stress can do once in a while like I do,
    that would be very positive thing for you to do.
    Especially for the very young guys that come onto this form worried about their hair!
    I'm glad that you have been considering what is being said here. Things will absolutely get better for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Good to hear back from you right away bro!!
    Your response is very good too.
    You seeming to be a lot more positive and that's very good!!
    You have the experience of knowing what stress can do to you!!
    I experienced the same thing years ago stress had a big effect on my scalp!
    If you could let other people here know about what stress can do once in a while like I do,
    that would be very positive thing for you to do.
    Especially for the very young guys that come onto this form worried about their hair!
    I'm glad that you have been considering what is being said here. Things will absolutely get better for you...
    glass half full!

no problem, I've been a lurker for a while so perhaps I'll pipe up a bit more

i still remember the first time. At Uni, hungover, looking in the mirror and thinking ... ooohhh f*ck! I'm going bald!

that was 12 years ago and I guess putting it in perspective, I've still got hair ... and options