+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Thinking of Restarting Rogaine

I stopped using topical Rogaine (liquid and foam) about 5 years ago. I had been using it for over 3 years, and had good results. I stopped using Rogaine (5% Minoxidil) because I began taking Propecia instead. But, Propecia was only modestly effective in regrowing my hair. It mostly stopped my remaining hair from falling out.

After I stopped Rogaine, I noticed a lot of shedding, which resulted in a significant bald spot at the crown of my head. To cover it up, I used a concealer called Hair So Real.
    But, this product has gotten on my nerves over the years, and I'm tired of using it. I want my real hair back!
    So, I'm now considering restarting Rogaine and ditching the concealer.*

My question is, what results can a man (age 46) expect from restarting Rogaine? Will the results be as good as the first time I used it, or is there typically a decrease in its effectiveness the second time around?

* I'll continue taking Finasteride 0.5 mg.

Minoxidil just like finasteride is best used when hairloss has just begun, it probably won't be as effective, nevertheless it's better than nothing.

With consistent use of the big 3, even at 46 you can see great results in my opinion. What matters is not the age, I think it's more how long ago did the MPB kicked in. And even then if it was like 10 years ago, I think you'll still be fine. I started MPB 11 years ago using fin and minox here and there. I stopped using them last year, and I got on minoxidil 6 days ago after not being on any meds since last year and losing a lot of native hair, shedding 50-100 hairs a day, maybe even more, I couldn't possibly count them all. Now I can tell you, it sounds like BS, but it is completely true the minoxidil actually stopped or slowed down my hair loss in those 6 days. All I can tell you is now, instead of seeing 20 hairs on my hand when passing through, I see 2-3. I've been reading to see if minoxidil can actually stop hair loss so that I can explain to myself how this happened.

I'm not crazy lol, my hair loss really slowed down in 6 days. I know many people will say that is probably not scientifically possible with minoxidil, and a it's already a push to believe finasteride would do that and it is the drug that would be more capable of doing such a thing of the two. But men, women, and children lie, numbers don't. And the numbers of my hair shed drastically lowered on minoxidil by it self. I'm going to get on finasteride and keto shampoo very soon though, maybe next month. BTW take my anecdote with a grain of salt, give it 6-12 months to see any real results. Maybe my experience is a special one in which I was shedding so, so much, that it was easy to notice the drop in shedding.

While writing this post, I was checking to see if minoxidil can stop hair loss, and apparently there are reports that it can. So I guess i'm not that much of a special case. But still, I would like to see more cases in which people reported decrease shedding within a week, it'll make me feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by HTsoon View Post
    Minoxidil just like finasteride is best used when hairloss has just begun, it probably won't be as effective, nevertheless it's better than nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    With consistent use of the big 3, even at 46 you can see great results in my opinion. What matters is not the age, I think it's more how long ago did the MPB kicked in. And even then if it was like 10 years ago, I think you'll still be fine. I started MPB 11 years ago using fin and minox here and there. I stopped using them last year, and I got on minoxidil 6 days ago after not being on any meds since last year and losing a lot of native hair, shedding 50-100 hairs a day, maybe even more, I couldn't possibly count them all. Now I can tell you, it sounds like BS, but it is completely true the minoxidil actually stopped or slowed down my hair loss in those 6 days. All I can tell you is now, instead of seeing 20 hairs on my hand when passing through, I see 2-3. I've been reading to see if minoxidil can actually stop hair loss so that I can explain to myself how this happened.

I'm not crazy lol, my hair loss really slowed down in 6 days. I know many people will say that is probably not scientifically possible with minoxidil, and a it's already a push to believe finasteride would do that and it is the drug that would be more capable of doing such a thing of the two. But men, women, and children lie, numbers don't. And the numbers of my hair shed drastically lowered on minoxidil by it self. I'm going to get on finasteride and keto shampoo very soon though, maybe next month. BTW take my anecdote with a grain of salt, give it 6-12 months to see any real results. Maybe my experience is a special one in which I was shedding so, so much, that it was easy to notice the drop in shedding.

While writing this post, I was checking to see if minoxidil can stop hair loss, and apparently there are reports that it can. So I guess i'm not that much of a special case. But still, I would like to see more cases in which people reported decrease shedding within a week, it'll make me feel better.
    I've read that stopping Minoxidil causes you to shed beyond the amount of hair you originally had.
    Is this true?
    I suspect this happens because, once you cease Minox, you regress to the level of hair you would have had had you taken nothing, making it appear as if the minox is responsible for the extra hair loss.
    The reason I brought this up is because I'm afraid to lose even more hair should I decide to (once again) stop using Minoxidil in the future. I don't want to be punished for this with more permanent hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by joer1212 View Post
    The reason I brought this up is because I'm afraid to lose even more hair should I decide to (once again) stop using Minoxidil in the future. I don't want to be punished for this with more permanent hair loss.
    i kinda think you have to have the idea that youll never stop. because of course the hair loss will be dramatic if you start and stop. im also in my 40s, have been taking it for a few months, have good results, and dont plan to ever stop. i know what'll happen if i do.

I've read that the minoxidil grown hair is minoxidil dependent. And also I know from experience as well. But this is true basically for both finasteride and minoxidil. You stop either of them, you'll lose the hair you gained with them, and you'll also lose the hair that the drug has been maintaining.

Quote Originally Posted by joer1212 View Post
    I've read that stopping Minoxidil causes you to shed beyond the amount of hair you originally had.
    Is this true?
    I suspect this happens because, once you cease Minox, you regress to the level of hair you would have had had you taken nothing, making it appear as if the minox is responsible for the extra hair loss.
    Catch up hair loss is real and occurs anytime you stop either Minoxidil or Finasteride, people may interpret this loss to the medications but its actually the fact that the hair the medication was keeping is lost because the medication is stopped. Both Finasteride and Minoxidil are lifelong commitments, if you ever stop either one you'll lose what you gained and will look as if you never took either medication.

Quote Originally Posted by HTsoon View Post
    Catch up hair loss is real and occurs anytime you stop either Minoxidil or Finasteride, people may interpret this loss to the medications but its actually the fact that the hair the medication was keeping is lost because the medication is stopped. Both Finasteride and Minoxidil are lifelong commitments, if you ever stop either one you'll lose what you gained and will look as if you never took either medication.
    I guess I have nothing to lose by restarting Minoxidil then.

When is something not better than nothing? Of course its going to help more than not using it at all, and it can always work. You wont know unless you try it can work for anybody, and with how cheap it is why not use it?

I just started reusing Minoxidil today, and I've been reminded of how inconvenient it is, and the reason why I stopped using it in the first place.

The directions say to let it dry for about 4 hours before washing my hair. This is not going to work for me, because I often have to leave my house right after I wake up, and I need to shower before I do this. But, if I shower & wash my hair before I use Minoxidil, then it will take 4 hours to dry on my scalp, which would prevent me from applying my concealer (Hair So Real).
    Even if Minoxidil eventually regrew most of my hair to the point where I didn't need a concealer anymore (unlikely), I still would have to leave my house with a big, wet spot on the crown of my head, which in itself, will give the illusion that my hair is thinner there-- exactly what I'm trying to avoid!

This whole dilemma makes me just want to get a transplant, and be done with it.