X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos Wesley, MD
    IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
    • Nov 2012

Caffeine and Hair Growth

For the curious folks, here is an interesting article that describes the mechanism by which caffeine can help slow hair loss. It's inhibition of the enzyme that converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT, or the enemy of scalp hair) is caffeine's primary benefit.

Now, this doesn't mean that drinking copious amounts of espresso will stimulate hair growth. Rather it is caffeine in its topical form that can have this beneficial effect.

Carlos Wesley, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

1050 Fifth Avenue
    New York, NY 10028
    844-745-6362
    http://www.drcarloswesley.com
    info@drcarloswesley.com
  • vtheripper
    • Dec 2015

caffeine

Dr. Wesley do you recommend any caffeine products/ shampoos etc.

Comment

• burtandernie
      • Nov 2012

So a shampoo like Alpecin with caffeine in it does have some legitimacy? I will say I tried that and I really did feel it helped for that day at least with the itch I get all the time. Although its pretty over priced for a shampoo that probably wont do much for hair loss long term anyway.
      Okay so where are the caffeine topicals? With how common caffeine is the stuff should be dirt cheap.

Comment

• burtandernie
        • Nov 2012

This study really doesnt say anything specific about how caffeine alters androgens or DHT. It does not say how strongly caffeine or in what amounts it actually reduces or antagonizes DHT. It just says a few ways it might help hair grow like by suppressing DHT. It never says how.

Comment

• jamesst11
          • Jun 2014

this thread is completely useless

Comment

• newuser1
            • Sep 2015

i have always consumed tons of coffee

I forever would commonly drink multiple cups every day out of habit. Clearly it hasn't prevented anything with me. I don't believe any natural supplements can match the proven treatments out there, interesting article though. At least that means caffeine shouldn't hurt in any way.

Comment

• burtandernie
              • Nov 2012

He says right at the top - topical only probably not orally since everyone drinks coffee. Personally I dont put much stock in this paper its not the best done, and I suspect its partly based on that alopecin shampoo that uses coffee. You have to be careful with small studies funded by companies selling things with a vested interest good results. A lot of them are kind of biased.

Comment

• jamesst11
                • Jun 2014

o.k.. an article on caffeine, wow. Why not post another on rosemary, emu oil, blah blah blah... I am tired of this crap. :P

Comment

• burtandernie
                  • Nov 2012

Well people are the point of desperation. The choices are very limited. What do you when desperate? Try anything and everything with any hint of evidence it could do something. That is the world of MPB.

Comment

• Hairbrain
                    • Apr 2016

Originally posted by burtandernie
                    Well people are the point of desperation. The choices are very limited. What do you when desperate? Try anything and everything with any hint of evidence it could do something. That is the world of MPB.
                    Been that way for as long as history on the subject goes back. Saw palmetto anyone?

Comment

• MarieEvo
                      Doctor Representative
                      • Apr 2016

Hi, everyone.

You might interested in checking out this thread:

This patient can be seen before and a few months after only: 1) a single treatment of platelet-rich plasma (http://www.drcarloswesley.com/platelet-rich-plasma-prp/) (PRP (http://www.drcarloswesley.com/platelet-rich-plasma-prp/)) and 2) daily use of our topical hair growth blend. This 32-year-old man did not have good luck

It is related to your discussion on the benefits of Caffeine, if applied topically.

Thanks and have a great rest of the day!
                      I have worked with 26 different hair restoration doctors throughout my career. I have now been a nurse working with Dr. Wesley for more than a decade.

Carlos K. Wesley, M.D.
                      1050 Fifth Avenue
                      New York, NY 10028
                      Phone (844) 745-6362
                      www.drcarloswesley.com

Comment

Working...