+ Reply to Thread

Default FUE using donor hair from body

Does anyone know why FUE can't be used to transplant donor hair from the body to the scalp? Doesn't hair transplanted from other areas to the scalp take on the characteristics of scalp hair?

I've been wondering about this lately, and I'm sure there must be reason, but I don't know what it could be. It seems like the primary concerns most have about the FUE procedure are the resulting pinpoint scars, and the risk of transection of donor scalp hairs, which would make them useless. I imagine most men have plenty of body hair in places where they would never miss it, and wouldn't be terribly bothered about FUE scars in these areas (think legs, armpits, etc). Why not harvest from these areas, and so what if a few of these hairs are lost to transection? Just wondering.

Some doctors already perform this, its called BHT. I dont think the same aesthetic results can be achieved really, so it is mainly used inbetween transplanted hairs from the scalp to give greater density. Mainly for people who do not have sufficient donor supply. Altho alot more hairs can be transplanted per cm2 with BHT I think it looks pube like..

Thanks. I knew there had to be a good reason, I just didn't know what it was.

What about Dr. Umar work?, it seems that he is doing a lot of good work with BHT.
    In Europe I have also seen in a spanish forum a good case from Dr. Bisanga in Brussels and some from Dr. Ozgur in Turkey, regarding BHT.
    Anyhow how much truth is there in these cases?, i have no idea...These doctors are trying to use Beard hair because it seems to survive with higher rate than other body hair transplant.
    I think that the biggest improvement in hair transplant might come in this direction.

Body hair transplants are extremely over hyped. Dr. Umar is not in the IAHRS so I would stay clear of him. I’ve hear Spencer Kobren speak highly of Dr. Bisanga so he might be worth consulting with but these type of transplants should only be performed on people who have no more scalp hair to work with and in extreme cases only.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    Body hair transplants are extremely over hyped. Dr. Umar is not in the IAHRS so I would stay clear of him. I’ve hear Spencer Kobren speak highly of Dr. Bisanga so he might be worth consulting with but these type of transplants should only be performed on people who have no more scalp hair to work with and in extreme cases only.
    I wouldn't say that EVERY surgeon who isn't part of the IAHRS is a subpar surgeon. Dr. Umar has done some excellent BHT work with some bad cases. As far as surgeons that offer BHT, I would take a long look at Umar.

But I agree that unless you've depleted your donor supply, and want to keep your hair extremely short, you probably wouldn't want to opt for BHT.

Dr. Cole has performed a number of BHTs but, as many of you have noted, a BHT should really only be a last resort for those who have a depleted scalp donor region. It seems counter-intuitive but hair transplanted from other parts of the body does take on the characteristics of scalp hair, as Thinning@30 mentioned. Body hair transplantation is not widely practiced, however, because it takes great skill, requires special instruments, is very time consuming and the results can be somewhat unpredictable. Results tend to be more subtle in terms of yield; some patients are highly satisfied and others will not be as pleased. Despite the limitations, it's a pretty fascinating concept.
    Last edited by CIT_Girl; 02-23-2015 at 02:27 PM.