+ Reply to Thread

Default I never thought it would happen to me

I am 30 years old, male, and just realized a few months ago that my hair is thinning, with definite signs of male pattern baldness. I am really devastated. I have always had a high hairline, even as a child, but my family has no significant history of hairloss. My father and brothers all still have their hair, and both my grandfathers lived to their nineties, and were probably somewhere between a Norwood 2 or 3 by the end of their lives. It never ocurred to me that I might lose my hair.

I know some men look good with a bald head, but on me it would just look ridiculous. I feel like this has robbed me of my youth. I'm so self-conscious I don't want to go out anymore. I dread meeting people I haven't seen in a while, because I feel like my hairloss is the first thing they will notice about me. I started propecia and rogaine a few weeks ago. I wish I had been on them two years ago. I'm glad I found this community. I am now researching HT docs and procedures, with a goal of having a procedure sometime this year or next, but I want to take enough time to make sure I find a good doc, and get the best possible result.

You are still young at 30, but it's certainly not very young to start losing you hair, count yourself lucky that it hasn't happened much earlier, plenty of guys go bald at around 30-35. You should post up some pictures, it probably wouldn't look that ridiculous. Anyway, you have done the right thing in getting on propecia and rogaine so if all goes well you can probably maintain, and maybe even regrow some hair over the next 5-10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinning@30 View Post
    I am 30 years old, male, and just realized a few months ago that my hair is thinning, with definite signs of male pattern baldness. I am really devastated. I have always had a high hairline, even as a child, but my family has no significant history of hairloss. My father and brothers all still have their hair, and both my grandfathers lived to their nineties, and were probably somewhere between a Norwood 2 or 3 by the end of their lives. It never ocurred to me that I might lose my hair.

I know some men look good with a bald head, but on me it would just look ridiculous. I feel like this has robbed me of my youth. I'm so self-conscious I don't want to go out anymore. I dread meeting people I haven't seen in a while, because I feel like my hairloss is the first thing they will notice about me. I started propecia and rogaine a few weeks ago. I wish I had been on them two years ago. I'm glad I found this community. I am now researching HT docs and procedures, with a goal of having a procedure sometime this year or next, but I want to take enough time to make sure I find a good doc, and get the best possible result.
    Joe is right, many guys here started at like 18. It’s never easy but at least you lived through your twenties with all of your hair. Stay on Propecia and you’ll probably keep most of what you have but don’t have a hair transplant unless you have a lot of hair loss. If you still have most of your hair a transplant can make things worse.

I’m one of those guys that was losing hair at 18 and it’s because I just happened to hear Spencer Kobren’s show that my life was changed. Starting Propecia is the smart thing to do and with some luck you’ll keep your hair like I did. At 30 people expect that their peers will lose some hair, but at 18 it extremely brutal on your self esteem.You found a great place to talk to guys in the same boat. Listen to Spencer’s show on Sunday nights. It’s what got me through some very tough times. It’s my weekly therapy, but it's free and it works!

by the way you can read my story here

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=435

Thanks for all the replies. Zao, your story is inspirational. I realize I am lucky compared to some guys who experienced their hair loss at a much younger age. I can't even imagine what it must be like to be dealing with this as a teenager. I hope my original post didn't sound too whiny. This has been quite an adjustment for me, since I always thought I could depend on a full head of hair until well into old age.

Delphi, I am curious. In your opinion, why isn't someone with most of their original hair a good candidate for HT? Is it because of the possibility of shock loss, and the need for additional HT after further thinning? On a related note, is there any somewhat reliable way to predict where on the Norwood scale I would wind up if I just let nature take its course? If I'm genetically destined to be as bald as Patrick Stewart, then I figure I might as well just start shaving my head and learning to live with it. On the other hand, if I'm never going to progress beyond say a Norwood 3, then wouldn't it make sense to have a HT to fill in the thinned areas?

Default thinning

Thinning @30,

Hair loss can be devastating for any one of us, and can cause psychological turmoil as well. I can feel your pain about how your hair loss has been affecting your self-confidence. BUT hopefully, you get to see some re-growth of the lost hair density on top. You can first see the frontal hair line recession then miniaturization (shrinking hair) becomes noticeable in the frontal scalp. Basically, you can significantly delay hair loss and simply hold on to the hair that you presently have if you can find a combination of hair loss products that work for you. These products can be Proscar (finasteride), saw palmetto, and minoxidil. You have to give these products at least three to six months to see any result, but don’t be worried if you see your hair thinning in the months that you are taking the meds, vitamins, and anagen stimulators. Also look at using something like Toppik if you need a "quick-fix" for a date or some special event. What most doctors don’t tell you and what you need to know is that even after a hair transplant, native hair can be lost at any time in the future and there is no telling which patients will experience this progressive condition. Hair loss is not a linear progression and often times will require the patient to have a second procedure performed to maximize density on the recipient areas. Please study what strip hair transplant is and how it differs from non-strip methods. Hopefully this info is helpful to you.

Kindest regards!