+ Reply to Thread

Default Help me figure out my hairline

Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a weird situation. I've had close to a buzzcut since I was young. My hairline, even as a kid, was never straight, but always had *very* slight corner recession. Last year, when letting my hair grow, I noticed some heavy temple recession. I thought I was balding and panicked. Ordered propecia, minoxidil and have been on both since, with no intention of stopping.

However, then I started looking at my situation, and I am now quite confused. Here's my problem:
    - Looking back at pictures that are 5 years old, my hairline is EXACTLY the same
    - I'm 30 now. I don't have any 5-10 year old pictures. So this would indicate that my hairline receded between age of 18 and 25 and then stopped.
    - I have 0 thinning in the crown, beyond the hairline or anywhere else. Crown has had a cowlick since I was a kid. My hair is super thick everywhere.
    - My hairline has always been high, I got mocked in high school because of this. When I brought up my MPB concerns with my mom last month, she commented that my temples have been like this forever.
    - Family history, I have a single uncle on my mom's side who is a NW7 and has been forever. Everyone else is NW2 tops.

So my questions:
    1. Where am I now? Somewhere between NW2 and NW3 I'd say? From a topdown view NW3 seems closer. From the side it's a NW2 .
    2. Is there any way to figure out what my end pattern is going to be? Is there any way this is just what my adult hairline is supposed to look like? I know I have MPB, but I can't place the pattern or the thickness. Hairloss supposedly slows down after 30 due to hormonal changes, but mine has already crawled to a halt over at least 5 years.

I have some styling issues due to this weird hairline. I've attached pictures from all angles, taken with phone. Top1 was made wet, everything else dry. Hairline closeups were taken with a flash so it's harsh lighting. The loose hairs you see on sideright.jpg are new since minoxidil + propecia, which kind of confirms MPB .

Hope you guys can share your opinion based on the images!

Also if anyone else with a similar hairline has styling suggestions, let me know I go with undercut usually, which looks fine, but the more receded right side makes it look slightly off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sideleft2.jpg

Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	44647   Click image for larger version

Name:	sideright2.jpg

Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	44648   Click image for larger version

Name:	top1.jpg

Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	44649   Click image for larger version

Name:	top2.jpg

Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	44650   Click image for larger version

Name:	crown.jpg

Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	44651   Click image for larger version

Name:	front1.jpg

Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	44652   Click image for larger version

Name:	sideleft.jpg

Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	44653   Click image for larger version

Name:	sideright.jpg

Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	44654   Click image for larger version

Name:	frontal.jpg

Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	44655  

We have a very similar hairline. Albeit, yours is higher than mine. I too have had this "v" hairline for as long as I can remember. From the top it looks receded slightly but at the sides you can see the corners are pretty much still locked in. If this has been your hairline for 5 years and NO change. I'd probably say you just have a high widows peak hairline. Widows peaks are normal hairlines, it doesn't mean recession.

But if it has changed. Then you could be experiencing recession I guess. Your hair looks in good condition though. Pretty dense. Don't worry so much about those little hairs, everyone has them on the hairline. And you can clearly see you have always had a widows peak from the last picture.

It's all about knowing where you hair was. Where it is now. And comparing.

You should do a man bun bro, I know slot of models or clothing models that do that man bun style where they have long hair on top and shorts sides with the bun on top in the back kinda like a samurai...the slight recession on the temples makes it look better and manly

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Hello Minoepoe, (I like your member name)
    I also LIKE your hairline bro! Not kidding.

You are 30 years old now and you should feel LUCKY and glad that you do not as yet have hairloss!
    What you do have is a matured hairline.
    You certainly do have a 'V' patterned hairline and that is A-OK!!
    Be accepting of what you have.
    You CANNOT ALLOW yourself to become concerned/worried/stressed-out over any possibilities of hairloss.
    You and everyone else can not know for sure if you will experience hairloss in your future but you cannot overly focus on that.
    What you can do is this, start taking Minoxidil.
    Also you really should start taking the multivitamin, Biotin!!
    Biotin and Minoxidil both have a LONG proven history of HELPING ones hair!
    Biotin especially does help both men and women.
    Take Biotin as you would take any other vitamin, take it 'forget about it' every day!!
    Minoxidil especially does have a great proven record of IMPROVING men's hair maturing and men's hairloss.
    I know that from EXPERIENCE!

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I'm a bit surprised you seem to think it's a normal hairline, but of course greatly relieved. I checked your posts @Ohthehair and you're right, we have a similar situation. Your hairline is also quite uneven. It's a bit better than mine.

I do agree a samurai-like manbun would work with the hairline, but it doesn't work with my face shape, I tried

I'm definitely adding Biotin to my regime. Had never heard of it, but it's incredibly cheap. I'm also sticking to at least Proscar (1/4th of a tablet every other day currently), and Minoxidil to see if it changes my hairline in any way at all. If it doesn't I'll drop that and stick to Proscar + Biotin.

I know that there are people suffering from a hairline that's way worse than mine, but I've got one of those hairlines that with the wrong haircut, it just looks like I'm balding because there's a gap on one side. Getting this feedback is a huge boost to my confidence and a great relief, thanks!