+ Reply to Thread
    IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Lindsey's Avatar

Default Proceed with caution #2. Young guys...Don't waste your precious hair in the crown1st

First patient of the day....and identical to 3 patients who have emailed me in the last 2 days and one whom I saw in Utah....

This young guy has had 3 HT locally. His entire family winds up Class 5-7, and he went in to get a crown filled. Reportedly he had 2500 grafts placed, then the front started to go...so he had 2 more cases, one strip and one FUE. Now he has a medium width scar, donor depletion, and a head full of relatively thinly placed straight hairs. AND FEW OPTIONS.

Option 1. Excise strip scar and get maybe 1500 grafts to add to the front 1.5 inches, grow his hair out and look unremarkable except for a sparse crown.

Option 2. Excise scar, likely need a small FUE into the residual scar at 1 year...and keep a short haircut so it doesn't look too thin.

He's considering his options, but I told him that if he'd have seen me back in 2012...I'd have refused to do his crown, saying he wouldn't have enough hair to then deal with the front. I hear this ALL the time...and this is what happens. He said if I'd have told him that in 2012...he'd have gone elsewhere and gotten his crown done, and only now does he realize the mistake. It would be far better to have that front 60-70% of his scalp done well, and have a bald spot than to have too little hair sprinkled all over his head.

Dr. Lindsey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3611.jpg

Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	44590   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3610.jpg

Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	44591  
    William Lindsey, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

IMO if ur crown in bald then ur BALD. there is no just doing the front cause one still is BALD in the end.

thats the problem with a HT surgeon like urself that doesn't perform BHT. he is left with option #1 or #2. with BHT he is left with far more options....

Depends whether you're a guy who doesn't like the concept of going bald or whether you doesn't suit going bald. In either of those 2 cases get the hair line dense packed and whack a toupee on the crown. Toupees are undetectable today. The only issue is maintenance and discovery and speaking from experience you have wiped out 90% of related issues by having a transplanted hair line..

Quote Originally Posted by monty3001 View Post
    . Toupees are undetectable today. ..
    Easy to spot one

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE52 View Post
    Easy to spot one
    Easy to spot the ones you've spotted yeah.

I can tell you now my friends would have slaughtered me if they ever thought I wore and through my experimentation with them, no one ever knew. I used a front partial, just an inch of lace at the hair line and it blended with my own hair indistinguishably. As I say, the problem was keeping it clean, worrying about the bond at the hair line etc. Non issue is you've got a transplanted hair line in front of your toupee.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Lindsey's Avatar

Like surgery...hair pieces vary in quality dramatically. I personally have NEVER seen a good one in person...except on a female on whom I did her nose about 15 years ago. She came in a year or 2 ago and looked so pretty...like Jessica Chastain....Wendy and I were complementing her hair and it was a wig. Never saw that coming. But of course...she was beautiful bald too.

As to body hair...likewise..never seen a good result. I have seen maybe 5 patients done from 2 US reputable surgeons and a couple from India...all 5 had essentially 1 inch long curly fuzz and THOUSANDS of depigmented white scars on their chest and ALL 5 were extremely frustrated.

Again...proceed with caution.

Dr. Lindsey
    William Lindsey, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

well of course YOU havent seen any quality BHT cause #1 you dont perform them and #2 all the quality BHT doctors are from Europe.

there have been numerous patients over the years from various forums posting their BHT results with excellent results. its a FILLER not the primary target hair for a HT.

Doganay has had plenty of success with it. and wen we refer to BHT we mean BEARD hair not CHEST hair which is nothing like BEARD hair which is why BEARD hair is primarily used.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lindsey View Post

As to body hair...likewise..never seen a good result. I have seen maybe 5 patients done from 2 US reputable surgeons and a couple from India...all 5 had essentially 1 inch long curly fuzz and THOUSANDS of depigmented white scars on their chest and ALL 5 were extremely frustrated.

Again...proceed with caution.

Dr. Lindsey