+ Reply to Thread

Default Desperate for some advice on where to start treatment.

Hello, I posted on here a few days back regarding my hairline.
    Most of you guys said it's alright but lately I've been taking pictures of my crown and it just doesn't feel right.

I want to start treatment but don't want to jump on the fin bandwagon immediately, Because till now I'm not sure if this is temporary hairloss (TE) or if it's MBP.

I'll take over from the start and try to explain as clearly as possible

I had been growing my hair for 5-6 years, Where in December I had a surgical procedure done to get 3 of my wisdom teeth removed, Shortly after this I noticed the parting on my hair get thinner so I began to look around, Without finding any proper answer I just got abit paranoid and decided to shave my head.

Now after shaving my head I noticed a whole bunch of red patches on my scalp, I always had a terrible case of dandruff since I was a child but I never had any terrible itching or so, I'll include a picture of those patches aswell.

Some days my dandruff was terrible some days it was okay, But I could always pick my scalp and manage to scrape something up.

After shaving my head I could see what my hairline looked like I wasn't sure if I was receding or not and I made a post about this on here aswell and many of you thought it was fine (I always had a hairline that looked somewhat like this)

Lately I've been taking pictures of my crown and it appears to be thinner than the rest of my head, with an awkward bald spot, But I do want to mention I also had a cowlick around that area aswell.

-------------------------
    Pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/Yy6qN (My parting when I had long hair, this is when I first noticed that I might be balding)

http://imgur.com/a/OxFQc (My scalp right after getting it shaved, I wasn't able to see a doctor at the time because I shaved EXACTLY 1 day before xmas eve and most doctors we're on their holidays, However after a week or so those red spots vanished, along with my dandruff, I'm not sure what it looks like is it just dry skin? Perhaps some form of eczema?)

http://imgur.com/a/MGb5w (Hairline currently)

http://imgur.com/a/RxPLs (Crown)

This is all I have for the moment and I don't want to loose my hair, I still have a good head of hair and want to maintain it for as long as I can

TLR: I think I'm going bald I need some advice on where to start treatment without going for Fin right away.

I doubt your side hairline will recede much more, my advice is either wait it out and see what happens.

Or to try to take finasteride twice a week, monday morning and thursday night, as a preventive measure

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    I doubt your side hairline will recede much more, my advice is either wait it out and see what happens.

Or to try to take finasteride twice a week, monday morning and thursday night, as a preventive measure
    It's my crown I'm more worried about, Would you think that Minoxidil 5% would be worth a try? If so what's generally better liquid or foam?

I would think you are a prime candidate to use finastride, since you already lost your side hair and it should be more effective than minoxidil.

Is minoxidil worth a try? The data is there, it does help to promote hair growth.

Liquid is often more messy and foam should help with this problem, liquid is cheaper.

Be warned, it does take more work and discipline twice a day, then popping a pill in your mouth.

It was too much a hassle for me and sometime it would make me feel dizzy, since minoxidil originally was used to lower blood pressure.

I would think you are a prime candidate to use finastride, since you already lost your side hair and it should be more effective than minoxidil.

Is minoxidil worth a try? The data is there, it does help to promote hair growth.

Liquid is often more messy and foam should help with this problem, liquid is cheaper.

Be warned, it does take more work and discipline twice a day, then popping a pill in your mouth.

It was too much a hassle for me and sometime it would make me feel dizzy, since minoxidil originally was used to lower blood pressure.
    Interesting, have a look at my previous forum post regarding my hairline, I've always had a hairline that somewhat looked like this same goes for my brother and dad, and I'm not sure at all what it looked like before, I will defo consider Minox for now though and see how it holds up and add fin later on if need be

Your crown looks strong, the advice the person gives in the other tread is sound.

"Now that you're aware of how your hairline is, I would simply monitor it every few months or so. The best thing you can do (and the hardest thing) is to just not obsess over it in the meantime. And if you do start losing your hair one day, know that there are quite a few viable treatments/options to help you out".

You are only 20, I thought that I was loosing hair in my twenties but it really started in my thirties.

We all are different, but maybe monitor your hair for a few months before you start any long term treatment.

Your crown looks strong, the advice the person gives in the other tread is sound.

"Now that you're aware of how your hairline is, I would simply monitor it every few months or so. The best thing you can do (and the hardest thing) is to just not obsess over it in the meantime. And if you do start losing your hair one day, know that there are quite a few viable treatments/options to help you out".

You are only 20, I thought that I was loosing hair in my twenties but it really started in my thirties.

We all are different, but maybe monitor your hair for a few months before you start any long term treatment.
    Oh, really? I think my crown looks like its the worst. But yeah i guess its smarter to just wait it out and see what happens.

You are right, I meant to say that frontal hairline / area looks good.
    Crown is maybe a little weaker, but often the votex area with very short hair can increase the illusion of less hair density.

Yes it makes sense to wait a bit to see if your hair worsen.

You are right, I meant to say that frontal hairline / area looks good.
    Crown is maybe a little weaker, but often the votex area with very short hair can increase the illusion of less hair density.

Yes it makes sense to wait a bit to see if your hair worsen.
    Yeah forsure, I'll try to see a dermatologist that will examine my scalp and make sure that it's MBP only thing is here in Toronto you'd have to wait up to 2 months sometime to see a dermatologist.