+ Reply to Thread

Default Am I receding? (23)

Hey guys! So I'm 23 and I've never been concerned with hair loss before as it doesn't really run in my family, except for one cousin but his mom has the thinnest hair ever (not related). Since about a year ago I have been experiencing dandruff and scalp PAIN, which I never had either of beforehand. If I don't wash my hair for a day my scalp is sometimes literally painful to the touch. Incredibly sensitive.

I went to a dermatologist and he prescribed nizoral 2% for dandruff, not hair loss. My dandruff is basically gone but I still use the shampoo every three days. I still had scalp pain though so the doctor prescribed topicort, which is a topical corticosteroid, which I used for 2 weeks twice a day. I only went off this spray a few days ago but haven't experienced much pain since. Probably too early to tell though.

Until I was 22 I had really long hair that always covered my temples. I recently cut it shorter and if I lift up my hair I can see my temples. I'm not sure if this is recession because I've been monitoring it for the last 6 months or so and it's stayed the same. I'm not sure if it's always been like this since I've never looked at my temple hair from what I can remember since it was always covered. Could this be a mature hairline that I got after during puberty but never noticed? I've also always always always had a natural widow's peak since birth.

Attached are pictures I've taken today. My left side doesn't look as bad as the right; not sure what that means. I'll usually part my hair on the right, could it be worse due to physically parting it for the past 1 1/2 years? My crown and the rest of my hair is incredibly thick. What norwood scale am I? Could the pain be due to DHT? Could it be diet? Stress?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Temple.jpg

Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	44510Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Temple.jpg

Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	44511Click image for larger version

Name:	Top.jpg

Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	44512

Your hairline is similar to mine. I too have had a widows peak for... well.. ever.

It's all about noticing change. If you've had this hairline (or think you have) and monitored it for 6 months with no change. I say you're set for now. Just keep doing what you're doing. You're in the best position possible ie - you've got no signs of hairloss and are aware of what your hair looks like. So any change... and you'll know.

I have been monitoring my hairline for the last 2(ish) years and noticed no change. I have also looked at some pictures from 3+ years ago, and see no change. (It's hard to see as I too wore my hair longer/down) but from my temple peaks and height of hairline (which has always been high - based on child pictures) I see no change whatsoever. We're probably in the same/similar situations.

Widows peak hairlines can often mimic receded hairlines. It can be freaky when you look at it a certain way.

Thanks so much for the response!

I'll keep an eye on it. When I get a haircut this week I'll take some more pics and compare to the previous months. We do have something rather similar...

Any other opinions guys? NW level? What about the pain and inflammation thing? I had a little bit of scalp pain again in one small area on the right side but well beyond the temple region. I took a shower just now and it went away.. what gives?