+ Reply to Thread

Default is adding minox really worth it?

Veteran of propecia here. Fin worked for me 1mg ED several years until about a year ago, when I started a diffuse thin. Shedding has increased, itching, fin clearly isn't working as well anymore despite my serum DHT levels being in the low range while on it. After a lot of research I decided to switch to dutasteride and just began transitioning onto it.

My question is adding minox (rogaine) really worth it? Other than 2x week 1% nizoral shampoo i don't use any topicals. At the same time, I don't want to add rogaine while switching to dut/avodart and not know if/what made any difference. Would love to thicken up my hair but the statistics I read minox has very limited effectiveness, if any, in most men. Not to mention the well known sheds it can have.

I thought about giving dut at least 6 months to see if there is any improvement. After that if I'm desperate I would add 5% (or higher) rogaine, and/or other topicals.

Any thoughts on this?

how have u not been on minox? thats the question
    Quote Originally Posted by newuser1 View Post
    Veteran of propecia here. Fin worked for me 1mg ED several years until about a year ago, when I started a diffuse thin. Shedding has increased, itching, fin clearly isn't working as well anymore despite my serum DHT levels being in the low range while on it. After a lot of research I decided to switch to dutasteride and just began transitioning onto it.

My question is adding minox (rogaine) really worth it? Other than 2x week 1% nizoral shampoo i don't use any topicals. At the same time, I don't want to add rogaine while switching to dut/avodart and not know if/what made any difference. Would love to thicken up my hair but the statistics I read minox has very limited effectiveness, if any, in most men. Not to mention the well known sheds it can have.

I thought about giving dut at least 6 months to see if there is any improvement. After that if I'm desperate I would add 5% (or higher) rogaine, and/or other topicals.

Any thoughts on this?

Sure its better then not using it. I do think what we currently lack is some kind of RU topical that competes with receptors. You really need to compete with both T and DHT at the receptor level not just lower DHT systemically. Personally I still think testosterone causes MPB slowly over time, and maybe hair adapts to less androgens over the years. Hard to say, but a lot of men start losing again even on propecia which seems odd.
    I wouldnt recommend any experimental treatment, but something like RU or CB is pretty badly needed IMO. Another angle of attack on androgens to compliment lowering DHT systemically

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon WHTC Clinic's Avatar

Minoxidil and dutasteride work well together, so you could give it nine to twelve months to assess your response. Now that you're on dutasteride and aren't yet noticing any improvement, you may benefit from adding minoxidil to the regimen.
    Click here for a free hair loss recommendation from Dr. Patrick Mwamba

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC clinic.

Consultations with Dr. Patrick Mwamba
    London, UK - Available (Sat.)
    Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Sat.)
    Bologna, Italy - Available (Sat.)
    Brussels, Belgium - Available (Mon. - Sun.)

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Email
    customer.care@mywhtc.com
    Telephone
    +32 479-75-3281 (Belgium)
    +44-203-318-6228 (UK)
    les meilleures solutions chirurgicales pour la perte de cheveux

I wouldn't say dutasteride hasn't given results, I literally just started it so too early to tell.

I have heard fin or dut w/minox work well together but that anti-androgens like fin/dut are arguably the bigger factor in success. I've been told most men go through a bad shed on minox, not sure if easing onto it every few days slowly can reduce that chance.

From reading those who had success switching to avodart/dut, it seems like an indicator that it's working is reduced shedding (which I've been shedding all the time on fin for nearly a year). Haven't seen any reduced shedding (or increased) or regrowth yet but it's only been like 2-3 weeks and I've been transitioning to dut, taking every other day at the moment.

Minoxidil is very effective, studies show that individuals who respond to minoxidil lost an average 50% less hair daily, these means that the balding process is greatly delayed, take a look at this video, this guy never took fin and was on minoxidil from age 22 to 30, you can see how good minoxidil was doing by maintaining his hair once he got off catch up hairloss is real with either fin or minoxidil.
    http://youtu.be/aFYnz1on4hs