M (23) receding hairline

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBay
    • Jun 2013

check it against photos of when you were young 9-12 years old, you might be surprised by the comparison

Comment

• christophermitchell
      • Jan 2016

funny thing is that i used to have really long hair that it covers my forehead, so i can't really check the old pic...and i just realized that the temple point on my right side is thinning a lot compare to the left side. Again sorry for my bad english...
      cheers.

Comment

• Zdude
        • Jul 2016

You have a slightly receding hairline, and whether or not it recedes any more, there's really no way to tell if that's the case or not. You're doing pretty well by jumping on Fin and Min at this early stage, though IMO - no harm in using it to slow down or prevent more hair loss, assuming you're not facing any bad side effects.

You don't need a hair transplant, though. Absolutely not. It looks distinguished at most, and I wouldn't even notice your receding hairline unless you pulled your hair back tightly and I was outright looking for it.

Comment

• christophermitchell
          • Jan 2016

Thank you Zdude for the respond, i appreciate your honesty.
          So im still on fin plus minox and now i have a few questions;
          - Ive been on minox for 7 months and i don't see a change at all, dose it means that it don't work? Should i stop it?
          - My other question is, when a person should consider a hair transplant?
          - Last question, I stop the nizoral shampoo... cause i didn't see a change at all, should i considering going back on it to have more improvement?

Again I apologize for my bad english, thank you.

Comment

• Zdude
            • Jul 2016

I personally saw good results from using Min 5% twice a day after five months (mind you, my receding hairline was way, way more advanced than yours before starting). It's best effects are thickening your hair (if you're thinning) and slowing down hair loss IMO. Fin is where the heavy lifting really exists, because that actually messes with your hormones, but is pretty good at preventing hair loss, too - but can take up to a year to see results.

Question: were you experiencing heavy hair loss, as in waking up with a lot of hair on your pillow, a few hairs falling out whenever you put your fingers through your hair? If yes, then that's a sign of balding. If not, you don't need to be too worried.

As for a hair transplant, IMO, it's best to do when you literally have other people mentioning your receding hairline without any prompting on your part, and only once your hair loss isn't moving all that quickly - the reason: you don't want bald patches on your head after surgery for no reason. Hair transplants are not an overnight successes, usually takes about a year after getting one to see how well it worked. That's why you want your hair loss to be stable. You don't want your transplanted hair to finally grow after a year, but now you have bald patches where your hair would've receded even more. The other reason is hair transplants aren't always successful, and you can suffer some bad 'shock loss', where you can potentially lose more hair from a transplant than actually gain - which makes sense, every surgery has risks. So, yeah, you want to make sure you're willing to take that risk before going ahead - at the moment, you have a barely noticeable receding hairline. It just wouldn't be worth the time, money, and risk of going through a hair transplant.

I personally wouldn't even consider a hair transplant at my stage.

if you want to see what a proper receding hairline looks like, aha: https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...ht=#post238548

Comment

• christophermitchell
              • Jan 2016

Thank you again for the answers Zdude,
              Ive experiencing heavy hair loss around 19-20 years, every morning i saw a tons of hair on my pillow, when i was at school my hair was falling on my papers, I freak out. I was so worried about it and i didn't understand why it was happening to me....my dad is 53 years old and he's like a norwood 2....I saw a dermatologist who diagnosticed MPB, then he prescribe me Propecia. Then later, i added minoxidil cause im still worried about it.

Comment

• Zdude
                • Jul 2016

You should be fine. You're using the two best medications for treating hair loss: that being minoxidil and finastride (Propecia). Personally, I also take a vitamin supplement of Biotin - which has made my fingernails and hair grow faster, stronger. The supplement doesn't cure baldness or slow it down at all, but it does make the hair you do have on your head more healthy.

Are you suffering any side effects from the minoxidil or propecia (if you don't mind my asking)?

Comment

• christophermitchell
                  • Jan 2016

Honestly i never suffer from secondary effects on theses two medication, sure i have some dandruff from minoxidil but thats pretty much it...I just wish i could keep what I've got for a long time.

Cheers.

Comment

• christophermitchell
                    • Jan 2016

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160825_065813-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	440918Click image for larger version

Name:	20160825_065837.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	440919

Any progress or I'm still loosing some ground?
                    I've been on rogaine for about 10 months and fina for a long time.

Can it stays like that for ever?

Just need some opinions, cheers

Comment

• christophermitchell
                      • Jan 2016

Up ��

Comment

• Dfaru94
                        • Jul 2016

Originally posted by BBay
                        check it against photos of when you were young 9-12 years old, you might be surprised by the comparison
                        It's a problem doing that, because virtually ALL mens' hairlines (even men who aren't balding/won't go bald) will move upwards slightly post-puberty. It's a process called "maturing hairline", which is where virtually all mens' hairlines recede slightly during young adulthood.

That's why that vast majority men (even non-balding men) tend to have slightly higher hairlines than women, and often have slightly receded "M-shaped" hairlines as opposed to the feminine "n-shaped" ones.

Of course there are some exceptions to this, Zayn Malik, but in most cases regular adult men don't have hairlines like that.

@OP - too early to tell. Your crown area is absolutely fine, very little (if any at all) hair loss. A small parting with a tiny bit of scalp showing at the crown is normal and not hair loss. Your hairline is very slightly receded (looks fine though! Not bad at all), but at this point it's not such a distinguished receding hairline to be certain that it is baldness and not just a mature hairline. Best thing to do is either see a professional for a scalp examination, or take more photos in similar lighting in a year or so and see if there is any change.

Comment

• christophermitchell
                          • Jan 2016

Thank you for responding,

So at this point, you said that we cannot tell if im balding or not. Im just wondering how we could know if its a mature hairline? is there's like an appropriate age to start having this mature hairline? habitually its not in our teenager phase that we develop it?

do you have some example of some person who've stay a norwood 2 for the rest of their life?

cheers

Comment

• Dfaru94
                            • Jul 2016

It can happen any time post-puberty, and tends to be an ongoing process. However, it happens so slowly you're not likely to notice it changing without looking at photos taken many years apart. If you look at older men, it's quite rare to see an older man who still has his hairline completely intact, even if he still has a fairly full head of hair otherwise. I don't have photos of him to show without his permission, but my maternal grandfather is a Norwood 2-3 in his 70s, and has been for probably a few decades now.

That's why a lot of hair transplant surgeons advise against re-constructing a "youthful" hairline, since it might not look very natural when you're older (that, and it eats up donor hair that could be used elsewhere).

A receding hairline (balding) is when you're seeing more noticeable and rapid hair loss, and when your hairline ends up sitting over top of your head, totally ruined.

The best way to tell is to just wait it out, which I know is probably frustrating. If you notice more hairline receding or thinning in the coming months or few years, it's balding. Typically, if you make it into your 30s (or older) and you still have a full/ish head of hair, you're more likely to keep quite a lot of it. Normally it's only men who notice balding very young who are going to lose a lot of hair and bald dramatically. Not always, but typically.

On the positive side, like I said it doesn't look like you have any crown balding, which is a good sign even at 23 (still doesn't mean you'll have NO crown hair loss, but hey you've made it this far). If it stays that way, and you feel like considering a hair transplant when you're a little older, you'll be a very good candidate for surgery more than likely.

Comment

• christophermitchell
                              • Jan 2016

I know that im posting a lot of picture on this forum but its helping to see the evolution of my hairloss.
                              Here some picture with wet hair.

Name:	20160912_164516-1.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	440940

Name:	20160912_164404-1.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	440941

Name:	20160912_164310-1-1.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	440942

Comment

• christophermitchell
                                • Jan 2016

It's me again and I have some questions, I don't know if I should start a new post or not?

Anyways I'm just asking myself if mpb is progressive or not?

Could it stop at a nw 2 then it never change again?

Is it possible that minoxidil make me feel more sleepy?

Thank you

Comment

Working...