+ Reply to Thread

Default 22 and losing fast

I'm really glad I found this site so that I have somewhere to vent and get information without feeling sheepish or uncomfortable. I'm 22 working my first job out of college, and I've been losing hair noticeably since I was 18, so who knows when it first started. I started taking Propecia a few years ago, but I usually do take the pills in month or two spurts, but then take off a month or so due to my inability to afford the medication. I assume this isn't helping the medicine's effectiveness, but some insight into that would be much appreciated.

Anyway, losing hair didn't start bothering me until my friends and family started taking notice and cracking a joke here or there because of the difference between now and my hairline of a few years ago. I'm pretty thick-skinned seeing as how I happen to be short as well (a shade under 5'6") and have gotten teased in that department for years as well, but I've accepted the fact that my future as an NBAer is a pipe dream.

Recently, I decided to try out Toppik, and I must say I am pretty satisfied with the results. My friends have commented on how my hair looks fuller and that I shouldn't be worried about really going bald until years from now. Unfortunately, I haven't admitted to them I am using that product, and I know what my hair looks like in the morning right after a shower. I keep noticing my hairline getting thinner and because of that the Toppik fibers are beginning to look more noticeable. If it wasn't apparent already I am really self-conscious about this as I'm sure most bald or balding people are. I've been thinking about giving up and just shaving my head, but I haven't come to terms with that yet.

I'd love to hear some success stories or ways people got comfortable with their hair loss. Thanks in advance!

Hey Mikey,

I know how it feels to be only 22 and loosing your hair. I have had a receding hairline since about 20 but never really noticed it because my hair was real thick. But it seems just like 8 months ago I started to thin. I decided im not going to be one of those guys that has real thin hair brushed back because I just don't think it would look good on a guy so young. To make things worse baldness dosen't really run in my family. I have 2 older brothers that are both senior to me by 12 plus years and their hairline's havent moved a inch. Plus my dad is 67 and has only slight hair loss. I thought I was going to be just as fortunate as them but it seems that I have either got the bottom of the gene barrel, or my mom steped out on my dad with me. Anywas I just got on propecia and I agree it is expensive but you can always get the generic brand proscar. My doctor put me on it and it is only like 15 dollars for a month supply. The only down side is that you have to cut it in 4's your self. My current plan is to keep my head prety much shaved with about a 1/2 or 0 blade for a few months then let it grown and see if the meds have helped. I was kind of heasatant myself but I found that when I did it I felt a lot better because you don't worry about people seeing your thinning hair. Plus they just think I have my head shaved by choice. Once you do it you will find you don't look as bad as you think, and once you get pull your first girl bald. You get a whole new confidence in yourself. Grow a gotee if you can it makes you look cooler. Well sorry I coulden't give you a some miracle advice but just remeber that there is all kinds of hairloss advances in science happening everyday. It looks like hair cloning is just around the corner so untill then just get on proscar and try your best to stay confident. Good Luck!!

Hey, just to give you some background on me I am in my early twenties and have been balding steadily since I was 18. I knew early that there was little hope of combating my MPB with drugs. That coupled with the fact that I had side effects on fin meant I had to find another option. So I decided to go the shaved head route and never look back. Since then I've been working out and maintaining a clean cut look. My best advice is to get out there and live your life and don't worry about your baldness. If you are successful, your baldness will be secondary to that.

Default Resigned at 23

Ive had a thinning crown since I was 15. At the all boys school I went to my friends pointed out my hairloss and said 'show us your bald spot'. I simply replied it can be fixed. I havent been to a doctor because of embarrassment, and so I have used the technique of brushing my hair back. No one has made any comments, so I guess its working. but at home in my room I put my hand on my crown through the brushed back hair, and realise that I'm actually bald. One day I will accept it, I don't know for how much longer I can hide it. I dont want to shave my head, I have tought of getting a toupe, we will see what happens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	c6581233045644bea0dc31df76735835.jpg

Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	3947   Click image for larger version

Name:	a57034e2e6044a59bc109e356686a562.jpg

Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	3948  

How is the shape of your head? What is preventing you from shaving it? Is it your physique?