+ Reply to Thread

Default Diffuse thinner considering hair transplant in the future. Suggestions?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could make some suggestions based on my hair loss. I'm mainly looking to fill in the crown and add a little bit of density to the head overall. I'm okay with where my actual hairline is. How many grafts would you estimate could give me a decent result?

I am approaching six months on finasteride, but no real regrowth yet fingers crossed, and we'll see what happens.

Thanks!

Who told you that you're a diffuse thinner? I don't know about that. Stay on Fin. See what happens in another 6-12 months. How old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by PappinAce View Post
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could make some suggestions based on my hair loss. I'm mainly looking to fill in the crown and add a little bit of density to the head overall. I'm okay with where my actual hairline is. How many grafts would you estimate could give me a decent result?

I am approaching six months on finasteride, but no real regrowth yet fingers crossed, and we'll see what happens.

Thanks!
    My hair was almost identical to yours before I got greedy and thought I would "improve it" with a small HT - My results were massive hair loss and 2 years of looking and feeling horrible and depressed. I am still trying to cope with it. You are a horrible candidate for HT surgery, I don't care what any one says. Do not do it.

. I'm mainly looking to fill in the crown and add a little bit of density to the head overall. !
    And what are your plans when you lose more hair

Quote Originally Posted by CaliD View Post
    Who told you that you're a diffuse thinner? I don't know about that. Stay on Fin. See what happens in another 6-12 months. How old are you?
    I'm 27. I call myself a diffuse thinner because although my crown has suffered the worst, I've lost a ton of density throughout the rest of my head, including the middle of the hairline (worse than the temples).

I'm definitely staying on fin for another 6 months to a year, like you said. I'm not sure what I can expect though, considering fin is more of a maintenance drug than a true regrowth stimulant. When I say I'm considering a hair transplant, I'm talking 1.5 - 2 years in the future.

My hair was almost identical to yours before I got greedy and thought I would "improve it" with a small HT - My results were massive hair loss and 2 years of looking and feeling horrible and depressed. I am still trying to cope with it. You are a horrible candidate for HT surgery, I don't care what any one says. Do not do it.
    Damn, I'm sorry you went through that. What happened? Did the transplanted hairs not grow in the way they were supposed to?

What makes me a bad candidate? If I can't regrow the crown I was just considering 500 grafts to get that balding spot back.

Thanks for the responses.

I'm 27. I call myself a diffuse thinner because although my crown has suffered the worst, I've lost a ton of density throughout the rest of my head, including the middle of the hairline (worse than the temples).

I'm definitely staying on fin for another 6 months to a year, like you said. I'm not sure what I can expect though, considering fin is more of a maintenance drug than a true regrowth stimulant. When I say I'm considering a hair transplant, I'm talking 1.5 - 2 years in the future.

Damn, I'm sorry you went through that. What happened? Did the transplanted hairs not grow in the way they were supposed to?

What makes me a bad candidate? If I can't regrow the crown I was just considering 500 grafts to get that balding spot back.

Thanks for the responses.
    You're a bad candidate because you have MPB and You still have a lot of hair. It doesn't matter what drugs you are one, you WILL lose more hair. HT's can cause DRASTIC hair loss in themselves. so, what happens when you start to lose around the grafts? Another HT? and then another and another. You will end up with scars all over your head and an unusual looking head of transplanted hair. That's the BIGGEST take away from my experience is that especially with something as intricate as hair transplantation, things rarely go as planned unless you are the PERFECT candidate. The perfect candidate is the following.

1) someone who is at LEAST 30 years old
    2) someone that has statbilized for YEARS on medication
    3) someone with a VERY DISTINCT balding pattern. i.e. bald temples with thick hair elsewhere, or bald crown with thick hair elsewhere

I beg you do not even consider this right now. Continue to take fin for at least 2 years and see if you've COMPLETELY stabilized. then, you MAYBE can consider a small HT.

And what are your plans when you lose more hair
    I'm planning on maintaining as much as possible with fin (and dut if necessary).

You're a bad candidate because you have MPB and You still have a lot of hair. It doesn't matter what drugs you are one, you WILL lose more hair. HT's can cause DRASTIC hair loss in themselves. so, what happens when you start to lose around the grafts? Another HT? and then another and another.
    Well, the idea is to maintain as much of your original hair as possible after the HT by staying on anti-androgens. Otherwise, what's the point of ANY hair transplant? There's only a point if you assume you're going to maintain most of the rest, right?

I beg you do not even consider this right now. Continue to take fin for at least 2 years and see if you've COMPLETELY stabilized. then, you MAYBE can consider a small HT.
    So if after 2 years of fin my hair loss hasn't gotten worse, I can consider myself stabilized?

I'm not really considering this until after 30; I'm just hear to get some estimates for a hypothetical situation. Out of curiosity, why is the 30-year mark so important for an HT candidate?

If I can't regrow the crown I was just considering 500 grafts to get that balding spot back.
    Probably need more than that to " get it back " because it will get bigger
    Do your research

I'm planning on maintaining as much as possible with fin (and dut if necessary).

Well, the idea is to maintain as much of your original hair as possible after the HT by staying on anti-androgens. Otherwise, what's the point of ANY hair transplant? There's only a point if you assume you're going to maintain most of the rest, right?

So if after 2 years of fin my hair loss hasn't gotten worse, I can consider myself stabilized?

I'm not really considering this until after 30; I'm just hear to get some estimates for a hypothetical situation. Out of curiosity, why is the 30-year mark so important for an HT candidate?
    Many good ethical surgeons will recommend older than 30. I believe Spencer Kobren said that you should wait until you're 35. It has to do with persistent hair stabilization, but also having the emotional capacity to deal with every thing that comes along with it. I am 31 and have been through A LOT of stuff in my life. I had a transplant and it just obliterated all the natural hair surrounding it. Despite my ability to navigate through some of life's toughest issues, this has spun me into a perpetual depression for almost 2 years. This is why I am so keen on you staying away from it for a couple more years. I don't think any one should ever consider their self has completely stabilized and that's a dangerous idea. You can be on fin for 5 years, have maintained all your hair and one day it can lose it's efficiency and start falling out again. A hair transplant with such dense hair almost guarantees additional hair loss.

If you lose a lot of hair from the trauma, or have telogen effluvium from the surgery, are you 100% confident your regiment will regrow it? Because if it does not, that transplant is going to look weird and you will have to get more work done to compensate for the loss. The bottom line is - you have too much hair to be considering a HT right now. Go get some consultations. I will be shocked if any of them, Bosley aside, will accept you. I know you don't want to hear this, but it is a good thing.

Forgot to check this topic for a while. Thanks for the response. So I gather that shock loss is the biggest deterrent for someone with relatively dense hair to get an HT. My regiments ARE working, and I've just passed the 6 month mark with fin, so I'm probably jumping the gun. If I were greedy and tried to improve my crown, there's a risk that the surrounding hairs will fall out and never grow back?

Well, I'm just going to stick with the non-invasive regiment and cross my fingers for further improvement.

I wonder how celebrities manage to get these hairline "touchups" without shock loss?