+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Are we cured ? :)

I just saw this publication: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0119141418.htm

Where a team of the university of Bristol claims they can make any cell type. If that were true, they could make DP cells too. And we've seen that once we have DP cells, we can make hair.

What do you guys think ?

BTW my own interpretation: I think it really depends on the quality of the resulting DP cells. Like in Jahoda's research, the quality of the cultured cells was just not high enough to make cosmetically viable hair. Nevertheless, interesting research, who knows ...

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
    I just saw this publication: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0119141418.htm

Where a team of the university of Bristol claims they can make any cell type. If that were true, they could make DP cells too. And we've seen that once we have DP cells, we can make hair.

What do you guys think ?
    awesome find... Nature genetics is a good journal too..I don't even care at this point what kind of fibers the DP cultured follicles make, I will take a head full of fine colorless hair if I have to. This is good news. The question is will we have to wait ten years

hey arashi, glad you're back man.

i posted this already some days ago, it's in one of the former threads.

in my opinion this is a huge breakthrough and i really can't think of a reason why we can't create hairs with it. someone just needs to try it out and do a gene expression screening/profiling to see how good the cells are.

for years scientists like, jahoda, cristiano, and even tsuji and lauster's team tried to multiply DP cells while retaining their genetic properties.
    so now, after they have an ultimate guidelide how to generate the millions of DP cells we need, what's stopping those scientists from trying it. i hope some forum members are in contact with jahoda and co., so they can forward them this news and ask if they are wiling to try it.

once the profiling tells us the cells are correctly transformed and fully functional, the biggest step and also the biggest hurdle is done. they then just have to cluster the cells correctly to create DP spheres and let hair sprout out of it. the best way would be to wait for growing hair shafts in vitro (e.g. by using lausters lab on chip to supply the cells with all the necessary nutrients and oxygen) and then implanting them into the scalp. this way the angle problem is solved and only a matter of the skills of a good FUE surgeon.

but guess what: i believe this breakthrough won't change anything and never gets tried by scientists. don't know why but i have a strong feeling for that.
    we need to tell the scientists proactively about that huge achievement and that they could easily try the transformation protocol within few weeks.

in moments like this i wish we had a mad but passionate dr (like nigam) who could try that in his lab immediately.

but probably years and years will go by, and nobody cares about trying it out.

also, dr. Xu who was trying to achieve this through iPS transformation should be all ears. the race should have started yesterday already. all puzzle pieces are there. if you have unlimited DP cells, you can grow hair, relatively easily. this was already proven by jahida, lauster and others.

the only problem so far, the multiplication of that cells, should be solved by know. there's no excuses anymore. scientists should get their hands on a.s.a.p.

Quote Originally Posted by joachim View Post

in my opinion this is a huge breakthrough and i really can't think of a reason why we can't create hairs with it. someone just needs to try it out and do a gene expression screening/profiling to see how good the cells are.

for years scientists like, jahoda, cristiano, and even tsuji and lauster's team tried to multiply DP cells while retaining their genetic properties.
    so now, after they have an ultimate guidelide how to generate the millions of DP cells we need, what's stopping those scientists from trying it. i hope some forum members are in contact with jahoda and co., so they can forward them this news and ask if they are wiling to try it.

once the profiling tells us the cells are correctly transformed and fully functional, the biggest step and also the biggest hurdle is done. they then just have to cluster the cells correctly to create DP spheres and let hair sprout out of it. the best way would be to wait for growing hair shafts in vitro (e.g. by using lausters lab on chip to supply the cells with all the necessary nutrients and oxygen) and then implanting them into the scalp. this way the angle problem is solved and only a matter of the skills of a good FUE surgeon.

but guess what: i believe this breakthrough won't change anything and never gets tried by scientists. don't know why but i have a strong feeling for that.
    we need to tell the scientists proactively about that huge achievement and that they could easily try the transformation protocol within few weeks.

in moments like this i wish we had a mad but passionate dr (like nigam) who could try that in his lab immediately.

also, dr. Xu who was trying to achieve this through iPS transformation should be all ears. the race should have started yesterday already. all puzzle pieces are there. if you have unlimited DP cells, you can grow hair, relatively easily. this was already proven by jahida, lauster and others.

the only problem so far, the multiplication of that cells, should be solved by know. there's no excuses anymore. scientists should get their hands on a.s.a.p.
    Whose research would most benefit from this discovery? We all need to be proactive about this.

I live in Bristol. Is there any way I can help investigate what this means for us?

Wonderful,so, a new cure in 2050 ?

Quote Originally Posted by joachim View Post

Don't know how much help this would be, but here are the emails of all the scientists you mentioned. Obviously we don't want to flood their inboxes with the same message, but maybe someone with knowledge can email them:

Xiaowei Xu: xug@mail.med.upenn.edu
    Colin Jahoda: colin.jahoda@durham.ac.uk
    ANGELA CHRISTIANO: amc65@columbia.edu
    Takashi Tsuji: t-tsuji@rs.noda.tus.ac.jp
    Best I could find for Roland: http://www.tu-berlin.de/allgemeine_s...LAND%20LAUSTER

Well it definitely isn't a step backwards, I was expecting a troll/joke thread when I saw the title. Now comes the 10 pages of layperson guesswork.

Quote Originally Posted by Seuxin View Post
    Wonderful,so, a new cure in 2050 ?
    I heard it was 2055-2060. 5-10 years after your predicted year.