+ Reply to Thread

Default Meds and surgery = bonny and clyde??

Is it absolutely a must to take propecia and rogaine if considering a hair transplant??
    I am 28 years old with NW 3 considering a FUE method, but reluctant to take the meds.
    Opinions please!!!!

PS: I'll post my pics and story later in the "present your self" section.

Quote Originally Posted by delpiero1980 View Post
    Is it absolutely a must to take propecia and rogaine if considering a hair transplant??
    I am 28 years old with NW 3 considering a FUE method, but reluctant to take the meds.
    Opinions please!!!!

PS: I'll post my pics and story later in the "present your self" section.
    Hey Delpiero,

Is is 100% necessary to be on meds in order to have a successful hair transplant? The answer is NO. However, in my opinion, if you are willing to accept the risks and expense of cosmetic surgery, than why not protect your investment if possible?

The truth is that most men's hair loss will progress overtime. Even if you have the best hair transplant in the world, time and MPB stops for no man.

I've been doing this for a long time, and almost every hair transplant patient that has contacted me eventually wants more hair. I personally know several who were in the same mindset as you are, and they now regret their decision not to start meds early in the process.

Using medication like Propeica can preserve and strengthen the native hair that you currently have. I've known patients who were considering surgery and were prescribed Propecia during their initial consultation...some of these guys had such a great response to the drug that they decided to hold off on having a procedure.

In my view, as long as you can tolerate the drug, it would be a mistake to have a hair transplant without taking advantage of this incredible breakthrough treatment.

I think the vast majority of hair transplant surgeons would agree that Propecia only enhances a great hair transplant, and helps to ensure the best possible outcome for the patient.

Hope this helps and I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Here is a related article from the IAHRS Info Center that you may want to read:
    Is It a Waste To Have a Hair Transplant Without Using Propecia?
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.