+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

No, no one's saying you're screwed once you get a HT; we don't even know whether it will present any sort of problem yet. We're just wondering and looking for research/proof that would put those concerns to rest. It's just worth knowing.

The problem is that without research, we can't really know for sure; we're not likely to find anyone who's had a HT and then major regrowth with conventional treatments, which is why I was wondering if we had any means of reaching out to a transgendered person who's had a HT prior to undergoing hormonal treatment. From what I hear, transitioning gives the most extensive regrowth we know of, right?

Well how wide is the typical FUE punch? 1 mm? So that's a circular area of pi*(0.1 cm / 2)^2 = 0.00785 cm^2 per punch.

From google:

"In hair transplantation, doctors can plant 25-35 follicular units (FU) per square cm, which is much less than the normal density, though this much density can hide the baldness with artistic planning of the grafting"

So here is the area of each 1 cm^2 bit of scalp that gets a graft put into it

grafts per cm^2 / area replaced per cm^2
    25 / 0.196349541
    35 / 0.274889357
    45 / 0.353429174

So if you get 25 - 35 FUE grafts per cm^2 done, this means you're implanting about 20-27% of each square cm. Which means you have about 73-80% of unimplanted scalp for a future treatment to cause hair to grow in. Of course this is a rough estimate because I don't know how wide a circular scar around the edge of a graft is, or if a recipient site is significantly wider than an extraction site...

If instead you get a 0.8 mm punch done...

grafts per cm^2 / area replaced per cm^2
    25 / 0.125663706
    35 / 0.175929189
    45 / 0.226194671

Then that's 12-18% of a given cm^2 of scalp if you get 25-35 grafts per cm^2. So over 80% of transplanted remains viable, minus the correction for scarring around the grafts, and how wide can they be really? So it seems like there could be plenty of those un-grafted and un-scarred regions between the grafts waiting to be revived by some future treatement. And also google says:

"On an average the density of a non bald scalp is 80-100 follicular units per square cm."

So the untouched areas between grafts might well be able to be brought back to a higher density too.

I truly believe that anyone expecting a cure within the next 50 years has lost his marbles.

And I believe anyone who has simply accepted that has lost his balls. Yet, neither of us is on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Follisket View Post
    And I believe anyone who has simply accepted that has lost his balls. Yet, neither of us is on topic.
    Losing my balls would be the best solution for slowing down hairloss out there in the next 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by inferiorfollicles View Post
    I truly believe that anyone expecting a cure within the next 50 years has lost his marbles.
    How'd you come to the number 50? Just felt right? Why not 45, or 55, or 52, or 60, or 100?? Genuinely curious how you people try to put timelines on things with hundreds of different factors.

Quote Originally Posted by inferiorfollicles View Post
    Death will come before future treaments, no need to worry about fue.
    Lol I actually laughed out loud at this.

To answer the question, if you're a good FUE candidate and can get good coverage with it, I suggest you go for it now. Then comes 2018 or what ever date they're saying now, which is always a new date when the targeted date comes, and nothing happens just a new date is released. You keep waiting, frustrated about looking at your balding head, no confidence, just waiting and waiting, reading new dates every year, push backs. Just do it now. The Beatles will come out with a new album before you can get something better than FUE, finasteride or minoxidil. I'm sure when something big happens everyone in the world will read/hear about it. Logging into a forum frequently just reading about dates and always being let down can't be good your mind and overall health.

I saw the HSC video of Nov 2015, I admit that is exciting news. I really wish that would come out in the next couple of years, would be awesome.

My guess would be yes, some hair follicles would get damaged through a HT. A miniaturized hair follicle lies around ~2mm.

Then again do know that some people already have damaged/destroyed hair follicles with AGA (can be site specific too). Simply due to fibrosis (scar tissue) which destructs the hair follicle, similar to cicatricial alopecia (irreversible).

This means that some hair follicles in some people are irreversible damaged, so no thing could ever "revive" those hair follicles. They are simply gone, replaced by scar tissue. Only the creation of a new hair follicle could help in this case. Which isn't going to happen in the near future.

Also, hair transplant are not going to be challenged in any sense probably from the current pipeline treatments.

If you want your hair back and you can maintain your hair, depending on your situation, the choice is simple imo.

Unless you want to wait many, many years.

That's why IMO the researchers should focus on creating new hair follicles in labs and/or donor regeneration. That would solve all the problems with basically zero risks. No anti-androgens, no wnt pathway manipulation, no prostaglandin manipulation, no wondering whether the hair follicles are still there and whether they are capable of taking in DP or DSC cells, no lengthy, expensive safety and efficacy studies no drugs or topicals every day.

Did you lose you hair due to AGA? Fibrosis? Burning of the scalp? Did you have a botched HT? Are you a male or a female? Or you just want more hair? Maybe lower you naturally high hairline a little? Doesn't matter! Here take some hair!