+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by jamesst11 View Post
    Why does every one assume it will "get better"... I am not trying to scare you man, but there are many many cases of transplants causing permanent shock loss and permanent loss from the much more severe telogen effluvium. Google it. Why are you not on finasteride? Did your doctor explain the risks for permanent loss after the procedure? Please don't let the same thing that happened to me and many others happen to you... it's devastating. Go talk to your doc about finasteride asap.
    +1

There also seems to be a lot of people, including myself once, who believe that going into a small hair transplant to restore hairline without meds is somehow a good idea just because their family history show great density until the age of 50+. Just because you think you will be a Norwood 3 until you're too old to care, doesn't mean you'll stay that way in the near term after a hair transplant. When they start to think "Oh, my hair has receded to the max based on family history so I'm good without meds" and then go through a HT and realize the procedure elevated the hair loss beyond what they estimated, they either freak out or regret the HT.

That is why I don't think you just need meds to stabilize natural progression of hair loss, but also to carry you through the trauma of a HT.

Well I had no shock loss in the recipient area after 2100 grafts to the hair line but I have got some donor shock loss at nearing 6 months post op.

Maybe it's over harvesting and I'm mistaking it for shock loss. No meds either apart from minox.