+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default DHT is NOT the cause of hair loss

So I was going over all of the upcoming treatments and potential cures for MPB and only ONE had anything to do with DHT. It's obvious that scientists know that DHT is NOT the cause of MPB, just a major contributing factor. Maybe DHT sends a signal transduction signal that activates other pathways and leads to hair miniaturization. There is a reason the vast majority of current hair loss research is staying away from DHT.

1) NOT the exact cause
    2) Emerging issues regarding DHT suppression

What do you guys think? PS I am in no way arguing the efficacy of finasteride

So what js the cause? And DHT is causing the hair to miniaturize so that =MPB maybe other things cause it as well but DHT is the main culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavi View Post
    So I was going over all of the upcoming treatments and potential cures for MPB and only ONE had anything to do with DHT. It's obvious that scientists know that DHT is NOT the cause of MPB, just a major contributing factor. Maybe DHT sends a signal transduction signal that activates other pathways and leads to hair miniaturization. There is a reason the vast majority of current hair loss research is staying away from DHT.

1) NOT the exact cause
    2) Emerging issues regarding DHT suppression

What do you guys think? PS I am in no way arguing the efficacy of finasteride
    I think we know that DHT is the starting point of the chain. The new treatments are looking to see if we can target hair loss factors further up the chain closer to the AR (the last element of the train) a best cas scenario for new treatments is to deactivate the AR meanING no further hair loss. If you did that you could have a high quality HT and then your problems would be all but over

Quote Originally Posted by Dimoxynil View Post
    I think we know that DHT is the starting point of the chain. The new treatments are looking to see if we can target hair loss factors further up the chain closer to the AR (the last element of the train) a best cas scenario for new treatments is to deactivate the AR meanING no further hair loss. If you did that you could have a high quality HT and then your problems would be all but over
    "problems all but over" - man, that would be such a HUGE relief. There is definitely a complex chain of reactions involved and obviously DHT is involved. otherwise, DHT inhibition wouldn't work, and it does in a lot of people. If we could find someway to disable, or bind a compound with greater affinity to the receptors, then we are golden.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesst11 View Post
    "problems all but over" - man, that would be such a HUGE relief. There is definitely a complex chain of reactions involved and obviously DHT is involved. otherwise, DHT inhibition wouldn't work, and it does in a lot of people. If we could find someway to disable, or bind a compound with greater affinity to the receptors, then we are golden.
    My hope is that one of these companies will achieve some sort if AR inhibitor and you will get lots of positive results. I just wish I knew when. No one on here seems to be able to agree on how these companies are progressing

DHT is one complete cause of MPB, but to say its just DHT is a huge over simplification. There are many different paths and chemical pathways that happen, but its very difficult to intervene safely at any of them. Androgens are the one we can attempt to safely step in and try to stop MPB through that pathway.
    MPB is almost entirely androgen mediated disease and castrated men are living proof that MPB can be fought from just that androgen pathway. Its one pathway its not everything involved in MPB, but right now the other paths are not fully mapped out and understood. How do you safely step in in the WNT pathway? right now you cant even if its involved somewhere.

I've often wondered this... I've read everywhere that the once believed "maternal" side is the reason for hairloss is now less so. And believe that it can come from both mother and father.

I presume DHT wise, this is a maternal (X chromosome) issue because it's how the DHT reacts with the androgen receptors (which are from the mother)

So it would be safe to assume that if the Father also has a role (albeit possibly smaller role) to play in MPB then it is not androgen related and therefore NOT DHT related. If it is DHT related I'm presuming there is some kind of other process involved rather than it's interaction with the androgen receptors.

Well the real root cause of MPB is arguably still a mystery. 50 years from now we might learn MPB stems from some malfunction in the WNT pathway, or something else like PGD 2. DHT is probably not the root cause of MPB anyway its just the current method of treatment. We already know quite a bit about other things involved, just no way to do anything about them. We still know but a fraction of everything at play though its pretty complicated or it would have been solved by now

Ohthehair, my father still has hair no balding what so ever but his brother and there father are bald and went bald early. my moms side all unlces have hair and they are in there 50's my grandpa went bald around 50 though on my moms side. Did I just get unlucky hair loss genes?

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreno515 View Post
    Ohthehair, my father still has hair no balding what so ever but his brother and there father are bald and went bald early. my moms side all unlces have hair and they are in there 50's my grandpa went bald around 50 though on my moms side. Did I just get unlucky hair loss genes?
    Enough with all these sketchy AR inhibitors. We don't need to inhibit AR's - we need to eliminate them from the cells.