+ Reply to Thread

Default Is this early thinning or just a cowlick? (Pics included)

I'm 19 years old, going on 20. I noticed that the hair on my crown doesnt feel as thick and my other hair. Ive always had very thick hair ("You'll never go bald, kid" was something I heard alot growing up). My dad is 50 and he's pretty much at the Jason Statham level. On my mom's side, my grandfather is well into his 70s and still has alot of hair for his age. I do have one uncle (mom's side) who also had very thick hair and lost it. Besides that, no other cases.

So. what do you guys think; thinning or paranoia? I included some pics of the area, plus a shot of my hairline (which I think looks alright).
    Last edited by curiositykilled; 01-12-2016 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes

It's pretty hard to tell. It does kind of look like thinning from the crown, but if it is, it's a very early stage of balding. It may be worth getting a professional opinion on it so that if it is, you can fix it early rather than late.

Quote Originally Posted by keebler239 View Post
    It may be worth getting a professional opinion on it so that if it is, you can fix it early rather than late.
    Are there even ways to "fix" it, or is it just prolonging the inevitable?

Quote Originally Posted by curiositykilled View Post
    Are there even ways to "fix" it, or is it just prolonging the inevitable?
    I probably should have used the word prevent rather than fix. The only proven ways to stop hair loss which is caused by male pattern baldness and sensitivity to DHT is by taking Propecia (taken orally in pill form) and/or Minoxidil (Applied topically on the scalp). Please be aware that both of these have a low chance of causing side effects - particularly the Propecia which can cause issues related to sexual dysfunction and depression. Significant symptoms of these effects occur in less than 2 % of people who take it though.

From what I've read, most people who use either one (or both) of these methods stall hair loss for a very, very long time (Like decades). They can sometimes promote regrowth if the effected follicles are not completely miniaturized yet.

Honestly, it's unclear if your thinning spot is a result of male pattern baldness, circumstantial hair loss related to something else or just strong lighting with your natural hair.

If you're really concerned, I would consult with a dermatologist who can more closely inspect the scalp, tell you if miniaturization is occurring and point you in a better direction of the possible cause and prevention of further loss.

Whatever you do, if you ARE actually balding and intend to take action, don't wait to long look into it like I did (see my post). At this time there is no cure or permanent solution for male pattern hair loss and the best way to curb it is through preventative measures. Hair transplants are expensive and will only go so far.

Hope this helps.

Yes you're thinning in the crown, see a dermatologist.

What makes you think so?