+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by eighteen View Post
    I think age may influence it because generally the younger you start the more aggressive the hairloss is especially if you start when T and dht arent at their peak... your follicles would be growing more sensitive while androgens are being increased at the same time which may cause it to be harder to treat. Just a theory though.
    It's pretty much established the earlier the onset the more aggressive the outcome with balding. That being said I would try giving finasteride the 12 months Merck recommends to see results. If that doesn't work you can always bring out "the big guns" (dutasteride).

I will also say that if finasteride ever stopped working for me, I would probably go on dutasteride and potentially even begin using minoxidil foam for added measure.

Ahh i swear man my hair gets worse with every haircut. It seems the top of my head is more stable but im getting more and more diffused in the hair line...

Ahh i swear man my hair gets worse with every haircut. It seems the top of my head is more stable but im getting more and more diffused in the hair line...
    Yeah, the hairline is the first to go in typical Norwood patterns... Are you on finasteride or not? I don't feel like reading all this.

Yeah im on fin been on it for around 6 months.

Yeah im on fin been on it for around 6 months.
    Ok for me i saw things happen right around 8 months.

What you must understand, and most guys really dont.... the drug first has to lower your DHT and do it long enough to alter the actual follicles (restoring them to health by limiting DHT accumulation) and this alone takes MONTHS. Then after that hair needs to grow and hair grows pretty slow. So really, ypu will be best served by waiting AT LEAST 9 months and preferably the full 12 before making any value judgememt whatsoever. And this advice really isnt my own its Mercks and its just the way it is.

Again: give it time, if it doesnt work talk to a doctor about dutasteride if you want a stronger AA class drug.

The drug induces changes at the cellular level of the follicle, o.k.. therefor, you would expect the hair to enter telogen and shed about 3 months after initiation of the DHT reduction. That is why people get a shed 3-6 months in. After that, I don't see any reason why you should still be shedding massive amounts of hair. It makes no sense to me. At 6 months hair shedding should be DONE, especially if on minoxidil. If you are losing crazy amounts of hair at 9,10,11 months and observing minimal regrowth and, instead miniaturization, the drug is f*cking you. Get off. That being said, I am starting to lean more towards the theory that if Finasteride makes you lose MORE hair, and rapidly, then DUT will do the same if not worst. If you simply maintain on fin, or have a little lose, I think DUT has a better chance of being more succesful. This is why I think I need off of all of these.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesst11 View Post
    The drug induces changes at the cellular level of the follicle, o.k.. therefor, you would expect the hair to enter telogen and shed about 3 months after initiation of the DHT reduction. That is why people get a shed 3-6 months in. After that, I don't see any reason why you should still be shedding massive amounts of hair. It makes no sense to me. At 6 months hair shedding should be DONE, especially if on minoxidil. If you are losing crazy amounts of hair at 9,10,11 months and observing minimal regrowth and, instead miniaturization, the drug is f*cking you. Get off. That being said, I am starting to lean more towards the theory that if Finasteride makes you lose MORE hair, and rapidly, then DUT will do the same if not worst. If you simply maintain on fin, or have a little lose, I think DUT has a better chance of being more succesful. This is why I think I need off of all of these.
    But james, hairloss is caused by DHT.
    These drugs inhibit DHT.

How are they causing more loss?
    Do you have a theory?

I am not making an argument.
    I am asking a question.

Quote Originally Posted by tedwuji View Post
    But james, hairloss is caused by DHT.
    These drugs inhibit DHT.

How are they causing more loss?
    Do you have a theory?

I am not making an argument.
    I am asking a question.
    that's a good question and no one seems to have a definite answer. One thing we know very well - it definitely does happen and it happened to me, as confirmed by my dermatologist. He was even pretty surprised, but says it does happen to people. I would imagine excessive hair loss by fin occurs through a feedback mechanism, as is pretty well documented with several medications. The exact OPPOSITE of what the medicine is supposed to do occurs, because the body becomes efficient in counter acting it. In this scenario, I know fin didn't increase DHT because of blood tests. It did increase T, but now enough I believe to have these effects. The only reasonable scenario I can come to is a drastic increase in DHT receptors... which, given all the scalp sensations and inflammation, is probably what is happening. Despite the low DHT in the serum, the scalp DHT is not tested and still might be high and in the presence of abnormally high receptors, is reaking havoc.

Or this could simply be TE James?