+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Going for it!

Default Going for it!

After many months of research I finally scheduled my 1st HT surgery for April. More nervous now then the day before. Not sure this is the right thing for me. I'm 41 and have been losing frontal hair for the past 6 years. I can't stand how my hair loss makes me look and I really don't want to shave my head. I did my homework and I'm having Dr Haber do my HT. Hopefully I made the right choice. Thanks for all the encouraging posts! Without this forum....I don't know what I would have done. Here are some before pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thumbs up

You look like a really good candidate for surgery, at least from your pictures. Dr. Haber has a good rep so you should do great!
    Keep us all posted.

Dude (love that name by the way),

I am 36 years old, and I have had 3 hair transplants, totaling about 5000 grafts, and overall I cannot tell you how pleased I am with my results. Having hair on my head makes me feel better --- plain and simple. And life is short, and I want to feel good. So far, I do not regret a single thing about my hair transplants (except my 1st one with Bosley Medical, but since you are keeping with the IAHRS, you have an excellent probability of outstanding results). My 2nd and 3rd HTs with the IAHRS have been phenomenal.

In my layman opinion, you are of the perfect age for an HT, and you have paid your dues as a balding man for long enough. Don't be nervous or afraid --- if you feel that an HT is for you, then go for it. It is permanent, but in a great way. It is true that you introduce a linear scar on the back of your head (I have one that runs ear to ear), but my results are so pleasant that I never ever even think about my scar --- literally.

Best of luck Dude (damn I love that name).

Later Dude! (wish I thought of that name!)

:-)

Thanks Winston and TeeJay73!
    I'm very excited to be doing this. I'm glad I found this site because there are so many misleading ads on TV and many more on the internet. The amount of useful info on this site alone helped me make my decision. Also...A big thanks for all the dudes that post pictures of the whole process. Again, this helped a lot in letting me know whats in store for me. I will do the same in hopes of helping someone else.
    I do still have a couple of questions.
    Since I will travel to get this done, I will not be returning to get the sutures/staples removed by the Doctor. However I read that staples to close the donor area leave less of a scar than dissolving sutures. Is this true?
    Also, Should I have the donor area shaved as well as the recipient area? Are the results better if you do shave? I really want the best results and I'm willing to make sacrifices for the best results.

What's up Dude

I am not sure about the answer to the question regarding the scar. Definitely check with your doctor if this is a concern of sorts for you. But I can share with you my experience. In my 3rd HT, I also traveled....I'm from California, and I traveled to Arizona. I did not return to Arizona to have my sutures removed; but instead I had them removed at a dermatologists office that is near my hometown. Try that option if you like, or perhaps something like it.

As far as shaving your head, from my experience, this seems to be the preference of some doctors, and not necessarily the preference of other doctors. My 1st HT doctor did not shave my head at all, exccept a small local area in the donor region where he excised the strip. But it was unnoticeable. My 2nd HT doctor did the same thing, plus he asked me if he could shave my frontal hairline back ... and I gave him permission to do so. I think it helped him get better visibility to create the incisions for the new implants. It took about 2 weeks of wearing a hat before the shaved hair started to grow back in, and then I took the hat off, and no one was able to tell what I had done. I'd say check with your doctor to see what his preferences are, if any.

Good luck man! Enjoy the new hair when ya get it!

Hi Dude,

I like seeing that your hair loss pattern is not major and that you have done some research. More specifically, it is imperative to be realistic about what you want and what you expect. I commend you on getting as much information as possible because you do not want to make A mistake. From experience, I have witnessed patients and plenty of individuals who are paying for their single mistake that was made several years ago.
    You must ask questions simply because acronyms and terminology can be awfully confusing.

I am unsure as to your opinion on medical therapy (Finasteride) and natural non-surgical solutions (saw palmetto) to minimize further loss. I hope that you have been informed that hair loss can worsen or stabilize over many years. We like to inform and prepare patients who may be moving toward significant hair loss in the crown area. It is a good idea to begin medical therapy because it will elongate the thinning process in the crown. An objective for using medication is to prolong the existence of native hair in the crown so that the perimeter of your crown does not expand. Minoxidil (Rogaine) and finasteride (Propecia) are probably the most common non-surgical venues to combat hair loss. Remember, about 80% of males will see that Propecia (U.S. FDA approved finasteride) has maintained their hair. There are some side effects that you should know, but please do investigate ALL possible risks/side effects before making the decision.

This information is not medical advice

Hi CIT,

Thanks for your post. I actually started taking finasteride today. I hope it will let me keep what I currently have in the crown area. And maybe promote some re-growth. I am very excited to finally be doing something about my hair loss. I don't have very high expectations but hope the combo of an HT and finasteride will get me to a point of some satisfaction.