+ Reply to Thread

Default So does finastride stop hair loss OR does it also regrow hair?

I know that finastride is able to prevent further hairloss by stopping the production of DHT, but does finasteride also inhibit regrowth of hair?

A very newb question, I'm aware, but I am pretty new to all of this so I would really appreciate a response even if this has been covered many times already.

Thanks,
    BB

in my experience, it will slow down hairloss. no regrowth.

So if I'm understanding this correctly then...

Finasteride will only stop hair loss (DHT) but generally won't actually regrow hair.

Minoxidil will regrow hair but won't stop future hair loss.

Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Balding Bad View Post
    So if I'm understanding this correctly then...

Finasteride will only stop hair loss (DHT) but generally won't actually regrow hair.

Minoxidil will regrow hair but won't stop future hair loss.

Correct?
    Basically yes. That's why they say use the two together for best results.

It depends what you're after. Fin can create the illusion of regrowth because it expels minaturised hair and creates thicker more terminal hair, you never really lost that hair but it seems like regrowth because it does give a good cosmetic effect.

If you're already balding badly though and are looking for actual regrowth then minox with fin is the best bet out of current treatments

At what point on propecia should you stop losing hairs though? I'm on about month three daily 1mg and I still lose hairs from the top of my head if I run my fingers through it, comb it, and certainly when I wash it. I was hoping and praying for regrowth with propecia but I don't even seem to be getting halting of hairloss so.....

takes around 6 months to have full effect, be it halt or any growth dont hope on the growth though
    Quote Originally Posted by hanginginthewire View Post
    At what point on propecia should you stop losing hairs though? I'm on about month three daily 1mg and I still lose hairs from the top of my head if I run my fingers through it, comb it, and certainly when I wash it. I was hoping and praying for regrowth with propecia but I don't even seem to be getting halting of hairloss so.....

Quote Originally Posted by hanginginthewire View Post
    I've been on Minoxidil for 9 months and propecia for 6. I still shed a lot but my hair looks better than it did before. I expect it to keep improving until I've been on both for a year. So just hold tight. 90% at least maintain after several years on propecia

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian View Post
    I've been on Minoxidil for 9 months and propecia for 6. I still shed a lot but my hair looks better than it did before. I expect it to keep improving until I've been on both for a year. So just hold tight. 90% at least maintain after several years on propecia

Just curious, would you happen to have before and after photos of your progress thus far?

Also you say that "90% at least maintain after several years on propecia"...the keyword phrase here is "maintain after several years", I'm curious what typically happens after those several years, will you begin to lose hair again?

Quote Originally Posted by Balding Bad View Post
    Just curious, would you happen to have before and after photos of your progress thus far?

Also you say that "90% at least maintain after several years on propecia"...the keyword phrase here is "maintain after several years", I'm curious what typically happens after those several years, will you begin to lose hair again?
    I don't know of any studies longer than a few years that cover hair count so anything you hear about that is probably just anecdotal evidence.

Check out http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...atient-photos/ there are some propecia only before/afters there.