+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How much shedding to be expected from Minoxidil

Hi guys -- I just started using minoxidil 2 days ago and so far so good. It's far too early to tell if anything is happening, good or bad.

I understand that I should be expecting shedding within the first 2 weeks up to 3 months, with that being said, I'm just curious how much shedding should I expect to occur?

Is there like an "average" amount of shed or does it vary person to person? Like should I anticipate like a 50% shed rate or would it be lower or higher than that?

Thanks in advance,
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Balding Bad View Post
    Hi guys -- I just started using minoxidil 2 days ago and so far so good. It's far too early to tell if anything is happening, good or bad.

I understand that I should be expecting shedding within the first 2 weeks up to 3 months, with that being said, I'm just curious how much shedding should I expect to occur?

Is there like an "average" amount of shed or does it vary person to person? Like should I anticipate like a 50% shed rate or would it be lower or higher than that?

Thanks in advance,
    BB
    Hey,

I've been using minoxidil for quite some time and definitely noticed a little bit of shedding in the beginning, which lasted about 3 weeks.

It's important to keep in mind that everyone's hair is different. I know people who shed A LOT and others who didn't at all. I would recommend that you continue using it.

The shed rate should DEFINITELY be lower than 50%. If not, you should see a doc!

Hope I helped,
    Jeff

increased shedding early on is a positive sign. It means revitalized hairs are now pushing the old ones out. usually last more than a month or so. not everyone sheds tho. in fact, most don't.

I shed for maybe a month, which freaked me out a little but I stuck with it. Now, more than 3 months into it, I definitely have more hair than when I started. It wasn't a 50% shed, but it did noticeably thin out.

So would those who have already experienced the shed cycle put it at about 30% shed then?

Also, would anyone say that there is a predominate area that sheds more than another os does the entire head shed equally? My worst fear is that the front of my hairline, which is already very thin would thin out even more!

It sheds where you put it, not over your entire head. So your entire head probably wont shed unless you put it all over your head. Which you dont need to do. Unless youre thinning everywhere?

It shed for me more on the crown than the hairline, I think.

20%?

Thanks for the response.

Last question, in terms of the type of hairs shed would you say the shedding is a split between normal, strong, thick hair and thin, weak-looking hair OR is it more thin hairs instead of normal hair?

I'm just asking because I noticed today in the shower that I was shedding more healthy and strong looking hairs than thinning hairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Balding Bad View Post
    Thanks for the response.

Last question, in terms of the type of hairs shed would you say the shedding is a split between normal, strong, thick hair and thin, weak-looking hair OR is it more thin hairs instead of normal hair?

I'm just asking because I noticed today in the shower that I was shedding more healthy and strong looking hairs than thinning hairs.

As for me, I never really examine the hair I shed, so I dunno.

What I can tell you is this. I started sometime in early October. 3 weeks later I noticed that I had less hair. Maybe 2-3 weeks after that I noticed that the balding bad areas seemed to be getting better. Now it's early Jan and without question I have more hair, more than when I started. More than I've had for at least a couple of years. So minoxidil works!!

Quote Originally Posted by mark8 View Post
    As for me, I never really examine the hair I shed, so I dunno.

What I can tell you is this. I started sometime in early October. 3 weeks later I noticed that I had less hair. Maybe 2-3 weeks after that I noticed that the balding bad areas seemed to be getting better. Now it's early Jan and without question I have more hair, more than when I started. More than I've had for at least a couple of years. So minoxidil works!!
    Did you have itching? Cause my head is itching like crazy at the moment (4th week of Min). I am sheeding about 300 hair per day, hope it is normal

Quote Originally Posted by kadze View Post
    Did you have itching? Cause my head is itching like crazy at the moment (4th week of Min). I am sheeding about 300 hair per day, hope it is normal
    No itching.

And Mr. Balding Bad is reporting white flakes and bumps, which I also don't think? I have.

Good question for both of you, what are you using? Foam or liquid? What brand?

I'm using Rogaine liquid.

If you're usiing generic, you might do better with name brand Rogaine.

If you're using liquid, you might do better with foam (though liquid is more effective).