+ Reply to Thread

Default Help my brother? Advice needed

Hello,

My brother isn't too concerned about this. But I recently mentioned to him (out of love!!) that he looked thin on top. He's not like me, I have an anxiety disorder. But he let me check. Pics are added on the end. One where the hair is parted down it's natural part.

Now here's the issue. He has psoriasis/seborrheic dermatitis and has had for many years. He gets it on his scalp and eyebrows and beard/chin. So I looked it up and it does seem that it can cause hair loss.

You might be able to see the flakes on his hair / redness... after he combed it and that's something he's dealt with for so long... I presume it's linked to the psoriasis etc.

Also to add he has about 3 scars on his head. One is directly across (to the right) from his natural crown on the left. The hair seems to grow around the scar which makes it appear a bit thin maybe? But it's definitely one of his small scars I can see how no hair grows on it. It's like it's created another crown around it.

Would you say this is MPB thinning? The main reason I ask is that he has a patch on the nape up to maybe, 1/4 the back of his head where he also has some derm/psoriasis and it's really quite thin there too. But the rest of the back of his head is fine.

Any advice is helpful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (4).jpg

Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	44033   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2 (1).jpg

Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	44034   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3 (1).JPG

Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	44035  

Quote Originally Posted by Ohthehair View Post
    Hello,

My brother isn't too concerned about this. But I recently mentioned to him (out of love!!) that he looked thin on top. He's not like me, I have an anxiety disorder. But he let me check. Pics are added on the end. One where the hair is parted down it's natural part.

Now here's the issue. He has psoriasis/seborrheic dermatitis and has had for many years. He gets it on his scalp and eyebrows and beard/chin. So I looked it up and it does seem that it can cause hair loss.

You might be able to see the flakes on his hair / redness... after he combed it and that's something he's dealt with for so long... I presume it's linked to the psoriasis etc.

Also to add he has about 3 scars on his head. One is directly across (to the right) from his natural crown on the left. The hair seems to grow around the scar which makes it appear a bit thin maybe? But it's definitely one of his small scars I can see how no hair grows on it. It's like it's created another crown around it.

Would you say this is MPB thinning? The main reason I ask is that he has a patch on the nape up to maybe, 1/4 the back of his head where he also has some derm/psoriasis and it's really quite thin there too. But the rest of the back of his head is fine.

Any advice is helpful.
    No

Thanks for the reply. No what? Haha.

He has completely different hair and density to me. He has thick hair I have fine hair. But I have like.. double the amount. His density is lower.

Oh and his hairline is intact. No recession. But there is also psoriasis/derm on his hairline too.

He asked me to check it again. And the way his hair sticks up around the crown(s) make it look fine/sparse but when you flatten it it's not at all. Do you think it's just his density? or MPB? or psoriasis/derm?

Anyone else got any advice for him? He's asked me to check his hair again today and when I part it (where it naturally seems to want to part - like on the pics) there is no signs of thinning. So when he combs his hair the direction it should be going it doesn't look like any thinning is going on. It's just when he has product in it and messes it up a bit... plus the 3 scars don't help I guess..

But the density might look a bit sparse maybe at certain angles and when the hair is stuck up a certain way? His hair is naturally quite thick but low density.... so when he runs his hands through his hair it stays stuck up... mine just flops back down haha.

Anyone any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohthehair View Post
    Anyone else got any advice for him? He's asked me to check his hair again today and when I part it (where it naturally seems to want to part - like on the pics) there is no signs of thinning. So when he combs his hair the direction it should be going it doesn't look like any thinning is going on. It's just when he has product in it and messes it up a bit... plus the 3 scars don't help I guess..

But the density might look a bit sparse maybe at certain angles and when the hair is stuck up a certain way? His hair is naturally quite thick but low density.... so when he runs his hands through his hair it stays stuck up... mine just flops back down haha.

Anyone any advice?
    It does look a LITTLE thin in areas surrounding the crown. There is only one thing he can do if he is worried - research and make an appointment with GOOD dermatologist, preferably one that specializes in this. If you have to drive a little further, it's worth it. Have them thoroughly examine his scalp and look for signs of MINIATURIZATION. This is the product of MPB. Thick, healthy hairs fall out to gradually be replaced with thinner, miniaturized hairs. More of the scalp becomes visible. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesst11 View Post
    It does look a LITTLE thin in areas surrounding the crown. There is only one thing he can do if he is worried - research and make an appointment with GOOD dermatologist, preferably one that specializes in this. If you have to drive a little further, it's worth it. Have them thoroughly examine his scalp and look for signs of MINIATURIZATION. This is the product of MPB. Thick, healthy hairs fall out to gradually be replaced with thinner, miniaturized hairs. More of the scalp becomes visible. Good luck!
    Thanks for your advice!

When his hair is parted I can't see any scalp really apart from the part. He does have 2 crowns (one is made up of a scar) which makes the right side (on the pics) look a bit sparse maybe. But it's a small scar so the hair grows around it the best it can.

also the pics are under direct bright light... I'm more concerned than he is! He has nice hair... Much thicker than mine but not as much hair... I just have a LOT of FINE hair... Haha.

I don't think his psoriasis helps nor do the 3 scars. I think they are making his hair look slightly worse. He has has derm/psoriasis for years. Not just his scalp. He's keeping an eye on it anyway.

Do you think it would show scalp when he parted it? Because it looks virtually normal when he parts his hair to check. Like, just the parting with no signs of thinning really.

Cheers!!

Inactive

I would definitely make an appointment with a dermatologist to get a professional opinion.

In the meantime - and this is by no means medical advice - but something that has worked wonders for me in the past for my scalp when it gets really dry, painful, flaky, and itchy is Raw Apple Cider Vinegar. It really helps clear my scalp up any time I have a flare up. It burns a little, but sorta in a good way - like tea tree oil. Also, it smells bad. (Just a heads up). Starting out, I diluted it with my shampoo, but now I just apply it directly to my scalp/problem areas. It's a little more intense, but it gets the job done.

I have no idea if this is something that would work for him, as his situation seems slightly different/more severe than mine. But it's worth looking into at the very least.

And definitely consult with a doctor at some point!

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.