+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Permanent Accutane Hair Loss/Receding Hairline

Hey, Everyone!

I'm here for advice as to how I should go about treating my hair loss.

I was prescribed Accutane in Aug. 2013 for acne, took it for 1.5 months, noticed my hairline was rapidly receding (more so, my temples), stopped it immediately, and continued to lose hair for 1.5 months afterward.

All significant hair loss happened within that 3 month period; I haven't lost or gained anything since. Nothing I've done has helped to regrow the follicles that I believe were killed by Accutane.

I've documented my hairline for the past 3 years, so I might be able to convince a surgeon that I qualify for a hair transplant. How reasonable do you think it is that I find a decent surgeon to restore my hairline to what it should be now? I am 21. I know the consensus is not to operate on young folk, but I haven't had any hair loss for over 2 years.

I think FUE of about 1500 grafts (750 each temple) is all I will need for now. I am obviously too young to be able to tell if I have MBP (I can't trace it to anyone in my family), but I can't justify not doing anything until the uncertainty resolves itself. The recession of my hairline is my biggest insecurity. For over 2 years, it's been the first thing I look at when I look in the mirror. I'm lucky to have not lost more than what I have, but honestly, I'm just tired of feeling depressed over this.

Edit: I think I accidentally created this in the wrong section. If any moderator could move this to "Introductions," I'd greatly appreciate it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec13.jpg

Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	43958Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec13 (2).jpg

Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	43959Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan15.jpg

Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	43961Click image for larger version

Name:	May15.jpg

Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	43962Click image for larger version

Name:	May15(2).jpg

Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	43963Click image for larger version

Name:	Mar14.jpg

Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	43964Click image for larger version

Name:	18-3 Aug15.jpg

Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	43965Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan16.jpg

Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	43966Click image for larger version

Name:	21-2 Jan16.jpg

Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	43967

bfinn,

You are not too young to be diagnosed with MPB, but only a licensed physician can make a formal diagnosis of this. You do have some mild temporal recession so IMHO, you do show some slight indication of genetic hairloss (MPB).

Sorry to hear of your experience with Accutane. I have heard of many cases of hair loss and some permanent from that drug. IMHO, it should be taken off the market completely.

As much as you may not want to hear this, you really should not move forward with HT surgery. Why do I say this? Because you could potentially end up with some shockloss in your hairline as a result from the trauma caused by the recipient incisions and from the surgery itself.

Starting surgery in that hairline with so much hair mass could also potentially advance the rate of recessionary loss and ask yourself how you would feel if that happened? I am not stating this would happen for sure but it is a risk and I would think the last thing you would want right now is more loss to that good hairline.

A fair number of reputable docs would tell you the same and would not even consider doing a procedure on you.

Many guys would absolutely die for the hair you have now and yes you are very young to start a procedure right now.

My advice is to wait and see what happens in the coming years. If you continue with recession from MPB, then see a reputable doctor to get a full evaluation and formal diagnosis for MPB. Get several opinions too.

Also look at the older men on ether side of your family history both maternal and paternal. My guess is that you will find some of them have experienced some degree of MPB.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Hey, we are in the same boat! My hairline is receding (hair loss) taking half of my head now. I was planning to go to Iran or Turkey for hair transplant. But I found the information and the regimen that is mentioned in the link below. Within 3 months, I got POSITIVE RESULTS. For social responsibility's sake, I am sharing it with you. It might work with you as well. Please be patient in listening from the recorded audio as it provides the well-detailed FACTS for a clearer understanding about what we are experiencing (hair loss):

https://************/CompletePackageInfo