+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Will u go bald at the same age as your dad gone bald ?

Last dermo i visited told me to ask my father at what age he was bald and tht i will go bald at the same age too , is that true or myth ? :/

Bump , y nobody is answering ??

Probably cause no one can answer that.

It's an urban legend. All depends on the density of your hair and the resistance of your follicles against dht.

In my case for instance my dad went bald at 43, my older brother started at 33 (his hair loss is much slower than mine though), I myself at about 26. All 3 of us also have a different kind of hair loss. (Dad started with crown thinning, brother receding hairline, I'm a diffuse thinner)

It's a myth you hear a lot though. A little while ago a 30 something colleague of mine was made aware by another colleague he was showing skin on top of his head. He reacted calmly saying that he was pretty safe because his dad only went bald halfway 50. Had to frown for a moment.

Now as with all genetics there could be a relation, but its not an exact science.

@bmoreno515 i mean they could answer me as by there personal experience just so i can get an idea how it would be

@Morbo yea that is what i was thinking too but being a diffuse thinner sucks u don't know where it will stop or even start , mine also started all of sudden in couple of months only i lost 50% of my hair density , btw has ur hair since changed 2012 i mean did the diffuse thinning became more or its almost the same ???

Inactive

There's no hard and fast rule for determining this based solely on your father's hair loss. Growing up, I was always under the impression that it was a scientific fact that you could determine your future hair loss based on your grandfather on your father's side - but as Morbo pointed out, this is just another urban legend. It's true that genetics can be a good indicator, but unfortunately there's no crystal ball that will tell us the clear future of our hair based on this alone.

On the flip side, technology has advanced enough that with the right diagnostic testing of the miniaturization levels of your hair, your diligence with vitamins and medication, and family/genetic history, you can get a pretty good idea of where you are headed. This would require a consultation with a leading hair transplant surgeon.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

My father isn't bald and he's 65.

It's an urban myth that you can tell by a specific family member how you will go bald. Sure, it's genetic, so obviously it's a major factor, but think about it: there are families where one brother goes bald, and another does not. They have the same father, same grandfathers etc. My mother had 4 brothers, one of whom went bald in his mid-20s, but the other three still had all their hair in their mid-50s. There's an actor called David Suchet who has been a Norwood 7 for years, but his brother, John, a newsreader, is barely a Norwood 2, to name another example. There's just no way of telling, although your family history is the best indicator you've got. As Morbo says, it's not an exact science.

All you can say is its a good guess that you will follow a similar path as your dad, but its not for sure. Some do and some dont. With how little anyone knows about MPB its all mostly guessing. Almost every question someone asks has no solid answer.

I didn't mean to sound like an a** hole its just hard to tell, my father has only a receded temple and he is 43 that receded temple isn't even bad and it just happened as of last year but other than that he still has a full head of hair but he just wears his hait short. his brother and his father on the other hand went bald and my grandma said they both went bald in there 20's I have a receded temple and thinning on the right side of my head so I fear I am following in the path of them but I can't say for sure, I am 23 and I still have decent hair I guess but its thinning.

No time to read that shit posts above me ... don't be deceived. Its not a legend nor sci-fi. 99% you gonna end like your dad.
    Most of users here have minor hair problems like "reduced hair line". Or shedding at late ****ing 30. O dear Jesus what a disaster fell upon them ... completely unpredictable.
    And they know nothing about real male alopecia that's pass through your father or grand fader or who ****s now maybe both of them multiplied by 5 so you gonna be bald at 16.
    If you see anyone whois bald form your closest family then tighten your buttocks and start treatment soon as you get a feeling that something bad is happening.