Threaded View

Thumbs up 29 year old male - My Finasteride Story - Worth the read

Hey all,

We are all obviously here for the same reason. I am a 29 year old male. My dad is 1 of 3 brothers and my dad went bald in his early 20s but both his brothers have full heads of hair still in their mid 50s. My dad also had completely different hair than me and used steroids. My mom also has 3 brother who are in their late 50s and have only recently began to show moderate signs of hairloss at the vertex/crown area.

I have always had absurdly thick hair and i always had a very big swirl/cowlick where the back of my head meets the top of my head. I always shed a lot but i never experienced any noticeable hairloss EVER.

As a preventative measure, i started taken finasteride 6 months ago to reduce shedding and prevent any potential hairloss. Over the years my crown had thinned a bit but 0 signs of recession at the hairline or anywhere else.

When i first started taken finasteride i noticed watery semen and a slight reduction in libido but otherwise 0 sexual side effects. I did experience some degree of brain fog as wel. I also noticed that my shedding had almost instantly stopped. I was shedding 50+ hairs per shower and after taking finasteride for a few days, I was barely losing 5 hairs.

All of a sudden at the 6 month mark, i noticed that the hairline/ cowlick in the front of my hair was quickly evaporating. I have not noticed any shedding at all but my hairline literally evaporated over a few weeks time. My crown is thicker than ever but my hairline which was never an issue, is suddenly gone. Upon doing some research, i have learned that i am not the only one who has experienced this phenomenon.

Has anyone else used finasteride as a preventative measure and had a similar experience? I believe that the clinical trials were very controlled and there are alot of potential variables and dangerous uncertainties that we were not made aware of. The hair counts that Merck used to generate the 88% success rate only took into account hair counts at the vertex/ crown not the mid scalp / hairline.

I believe that there is significant evidence that proves individuals who have little to no signs of hairloss and who take Fin, are doing severe harm to themselves and need to be educated.

I know this is a very sensitive subject and it has caused me a great deal of depression over the years. If anyone needs to talk, reply, or shoot me an email.

Looking forward to what everyone has to contribute