+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is DHT the only culprit?

Yes I know "genetics" is the true culprit. But my question is if you in theory were able to reduce your DHT levels in your body and/or scalp by 100% (zero DHT) could you still experience MPB hair loss?

This begs the question that if fin/propecia can no longer keep up with your MPB, could going on something more powerful like Avodart could help give you more time.

I reduced my DHT to the almost the lowest "acceptable" level on finasteride and have experienced nothing but rapid acceleration of MPB over the 9.5 months I have been on it. Literally have scalp inflammation, great hair fall and suffocating vellous crap hairs in return... I am definitely considering avodart, the problem is finding a doc that will prescribe it. I have a feeling though that if finasteride lowered my DHT that greatly and I am experiencing acceleration of MPB, then the major culprit must not be DHT itself, but the upregulation of it's receptors.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesst11 View Post
    I reduced my DHT to the almost the lowest "acceptable" level on finasteride and
    Have you done blood test for your DHT level? Maybe your DHT level might still be high? I plan to do a blood test in a few months as well.

DHT is clearly not the only factor in MPB. If this were true, propecia would be the cure for hair loss. We would simply pop the pill and never lose hair again. Many other factors go into MPB, many pathways that we as people don't even understand. If we fully understood the mechanisms of balding we would have very effective treatments if not a cure out by now.

Also, if DHT was the only factor to hair loss rogaine/minoxidil wouldn't be effective at all because it doesn't do anything to DHT-clearly minoxidil is an effective treatment for MPB and proves that DHT is not the only culprit in MPB

Quote Originally Posted by Pavi View Post
    Also, if DHT was the only factor to hair loss rogaine/minoxidil wouldn't be effective at all because it doesn't do anything to DHT-clearly minoxidil is an effective treatment for MPB and proves that DHT is not the only culprit in MPB
    Is minoxidil an anti-androgen?

Quote Originally Posted by BaldingHelpMe View Post
    Have you done blood test for your DHT level? Maybe your DHT level might still be high? I plan to do a blood test in a few months as well.
    yes I did, it was right by the lowest level acceptable, super low... still losing hair, WAY more aggressively than before fin.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldingHelpMe View Post
    Is minoxidil an anti-androgen?
    No, minoxidil doesn't do anything to androgens, it's recognized as a "growth stimulant" meaning it keeps hair in the anagen (growing) phase.

yes I did, it was right by the lowest level acceptable, super low... still losing hair, WAY more aggressively than before fin.
    Hmm... interesting... are you sure your hair loss is genetic male pattern baldness? It's probably TE I guess? Does either side of your parents have MPB?

No, minoxidil doesn't do anything to androgens, it's recognized as a "growth stimulant" meaning it keeps hair in the anagen (growing) phase.
    Minoxidil can take a hair that is being miniaturized and take it back to somewhat it's original thickness. Minoxidil obviously is not just a growth stimulant if it can reverse the balding process.