Default The problem with SMP

When a man starts to noticeably thin, society dictates that the only acceptable thing he can do is to shave his head. Keeping your hair during the later stages of thinning will generally be met with ridicule and will be seen by others as a bit sad and desperate. However, this is not a perfect solution, as now the man has no hairline to frame his face, unlike younger men with full heads of hair who choose to shave their heads.

So here comes the solution - SMP. You can essentially get a tattoo on top of your head to replicate the look of a full head of hair that has simply been shaven. Now, assuming the treatment goes perfectly; no one can tell it's a tattoo and the ink doesn't turn blue or splotch together; most people would say this is a good outcome. Better than having the look of a Norwood 4+, right? Hm . . . I beg to differ.

You see, the reason that society said it was acceptable for you to have a shaved head, was that you were losing your hair and you therefore had no better options. Now that people perceive you as having a full head of hair, they will not think better of you as you desire. Instead, they will see a moron who has a full head of hair but chooses to shave it down to the length of the average Stormfront user.

How is this going to come across if you try to get a job in the corporate world? We may all be very liberal here, but the fact of the matter is that many high-paying industries are still extremely conservative and somewhat stuck in the past. A man who is clearly balding will barely get a pass if he shaves his head. A man who is perceived to have a full head of hair, but who chooses to shave it won't get a second interview. You are trading one stigma for another.

You bring up a very good point. SMP definitely changes not only your look, but how people perceive your identity. Does anyone want to be associated with Bruce Willis or (your example) Stormfront members? A shaved head is an aggressive look that certainly sits far past 'common' or 'neutral'.

Do corporations want 'neutral'?

Many do and it's unrealistic to suggest otherwise. For some, the trade off may not be worth it and they'd be wise to consider this very real cultural association.

But...

There are corporations that do accept people who aren't vanilla/common/'safe' hires.

Some people can pull it off.

Some people have personality that cuts past the hair.

Which is to say, SMP isn't for everyone. I don't think it's fair to say it's 'foolish', but it seems your argument is one many often overlook and should consider alongside any perceived benefits.

When my clients get SMP done they leave brimming with confidence. You can see it in their face. You can see they have a newfound swagger about them. I'd argue that goes even further in influencing someone's perception of the person. And I have clients from all walks of life, not just the suit-and-tie set. I also have a large number of clients who use SMP for a thickening effect as well as scar repair. And in case you haven't noticed, the buzz look is quite fashionable these days....

If it makes you more confident and looks better then for me it can only be a good thing I think.

As for corporate prejudices, I know that certain organisations want a certain look but from living in London I can tell you that being NW1 with a shaved head would not definitely be a hinderance