+ Reply to Thread

Default Making a decision in medication + long term safety of taking 5ar inhibitors?

Hey all,

I'm a 23 male with male pattern baldness (around Norwood 2 with receding temples)which is now at a point that I want to start treatment. I've been reading a lot of research, spoke to multiple dermatologist, searched through some forums but things have been contradicting to me what makes it hard for me to make a decision.

-Begin taking propecia initially has my preference, but the possible long term safety issues for my health do worry me. There is some good research out there that really shows overall safety and rarity of sides, however I also came across this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4064044/

I am mainly concerned about the influence of 5ar inhibiting on cognitive function (influence on CNS, inhibiting allepregnanolone and possibly neurodegeneration or damage to receptors). Is this really a danger? The multiple dermatologist I spoke to just don't know so I would love to get some of your views on this.

-I could also go for a minoxidil-only treatment but I would like to know if this could be enough to effectively stop my balding process and potentially get some thickening/regrowth or if it's just a poor solution without adding a 5ar inhibitor to it.

Any helpful feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks so much guys

Daniel

I remember a doctor writing that finasteride is better than minoxidil if you only would use one of them.

Minoxidil is better then nothing and I have read that some have had great results long term on it.

The doctor also wrote that you get the best result with both drugs.
    Finasteride does cause frontal hair loss on some people and perhaps minoxidil can help to counteract this problem.

Why does finasteride cause frontal hair loss?
    I think there is a possibility that these 5-ar inbititors could end up being involved in some of those things you mentioned. Fin inhibits 5-ar type 3 an enzyme they never knew existed back when fin was studied and approved. Certainly a possibility there is danger there. Thats the whole issue with these internal inhibitors all these risks when the problem is a topical one. Its local DHT not the systemic level of it