+ Reply to Thread

Default questions about my Propecia use

Hey everyone,
    I hope I might get some insights about my situation.

I've been taking Propecia for about 10 months now, and since taking it my hair condition is only getting worse.

I keep losing hair, and I can see how my hair line is getting worse, as well as my total top hair's quality..
    My physician doesn't care that much, his been telling me to "wait 3 more months" for the past 6 months.

I wanted to ask your experience (taking in account it may differ between others and me) about the time I can expect to see an effect from Propecia - might it really take so long without any improvements? even small ones? How much time did it take you guys? did it had a good effect even after taking very long to kick-in?

Also, when is the limit for the waiting? - I mean when should I stop waiting and deduce that Propecia probably doesn't work for me...?

Thanks all in advance!!

Welcome to the club man, I am in the same situation... Propecia either helps you or it f*cks you, that's just how it goes.

I'd give it a full year.
    Unfortunately for about 20% of people Propecia seems to not work.

My guess on as to why as a biologist is that some people's bodies counteract the drug by increasing sensitivity in androgen receptors or simply upping the amount of them.

Just so you're aware though, some men in clinical trials took 12 months for the drug to start to slow the loss. Not everyone gets full halting and especially not everyone gets regrowth or thickening.

Personally I use rogaine with it to up my odds.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldingEagle View Post
    I'd give it a full year.
    Unfortunately for about 20% of people Propecia seems to not work.

My guess on as to why as a biologist is that some people's bodies counteract the drug by increasing sensitivity in androgen receptors or simply upping the amount of them.

Just so you're aware though, some men in clinical trials took 12 months for the drug to start to slow the loss. Not everyone gets full halting and especially not everyone gets regrowth or thickening.

Personally I use rogaine with it to up my odds.

Thanks for replying.
    I know it might even take a year or so... still, it keeps getting worse and I can't help but wondering what's going on with my hair - am I wasting my time with this? have I made it worse by starting to take Propecia? how much longer should I wait to get some verdict?...and what will I do if indeed it doesn't work at all..?

These questions of course have a deep emotional root, rather than a rational one, but since I am seriously not getting ANY information or suggestions from my doctor (and the one before this one) I though perhaps I can ask for some collective wisdom.

Heck if not that, then maybe just some collective support :/

It is very frustrating... not only that this condition is eating my spirit and soul, I feel completely in the dark while struggling.
    Before starting Propecia, no doctor told me that it might take a year or more, no doctor told me that it might cause more shedding - maybe just right before it starts working or maybe just more shedding without any results, no doctor told me that it's known to barely affect frontal and temporal hair loss regions... I was just told to take it and that it works for 90% of the population.

Sorry if I'm getting a bit sobby... I'm just trying to shed some light on these worries...

Give it 12 months. Making it worse is irrelevant honestly, as without Propecia you're going to go bald anyway.

Take photos and compare after 12-15mons. Don't obsess over it, stress most certainly will make things worse.

I would advise using minoxidil twice daily also. Minoxidil alone has slowed my hairloss drastically to a crawl before Propecia. I take Propecia to aid in regrowth and maintenance. Rogaine can't hold it alone forever. With both many people get 10 years. Hopefully something better out by then.

Hi @Rook,
    To be on the anxious seat is not a pleasant feeling and you are not alone. We all experience anxiety when start taking Propecia. I was a little bit luckier, because my shedding stopped at the 4-5 month of treatment. But I know men who waited up to 1 year to get any positive results. I'd like to encourage you to continue the treatment.

@BaldingEagle gave you a good advice about Minoxidil. Many men use both of the treatments to get better results.
    Hope you will get the desired result very soon.