+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation [Serious] Grandfather recently passed. Full head of hair. Can I harvest his scalp?

To clarify this was my grandfather on my mothers side, so the hair would not have the balding gene.

I know hair is an organ and part of the integumentary system, so I'm thinking because of our shared genetics would I A) Be able to harvest his scalp and attach it to my own head? or B) Extract the individual follicles and plant them on my head.

Even if I had to take some medication as heart transplant patients have to take, this would be theoretically possible right?

The hair itself is grey but I figure I could dye it or keep the salt and pepper look.

Please respond quickly, as funeral is in 2 days. Thanks.

Can I have his pubes?

Are you serious?!?... I think the answer you'll find is no

Do you not have a horseshoe to harvest from?

Frankinhair! lol

This question is so wrong but I am actually pretty curious about this. Is it possible to transplant hairs from one person to another? If you could, would it have to be a close relative or could you do this with anyone? Whose hair colour/shape would the newly transplanted hairs assume, the donor's or the recepient's?

Quote Originally Posted by Fortunate Son View Post
    This question is so wrong but I am actually pretty curious about this. Is it possible to transplant hairs from one person to another? If you could, would it have to be a close relative or could you do this with anyone? Whose hair colour/shape would the newly transplanted hairs assume, the donor's or the recepient's?
    It's possible.

Hair follicle consists of two different parts, epithelial and dermal layer. Now, it has been shown that you can take the dermal papillae, from yourself, and transplant this into another person, even from another gender, and it will grow hair. The hair, will take the keratin characteristics (curl) of the host, but the size and speed of growth of the donor. Keratins (the main constituents of the hair, are epithelial, and so the dermal part will not have any effect).

Now, you may ask, why not do this?

1st) it's illegal.

2nd) It's very time consuming, as it's a totally different surgery than hair transplantation. In this imaginary case, you have to separate, every dermal papillae, and transplant it separately.

3rd) Dermal papillae, still will get rejected, in probably up to 70% of cases.

How can you overcome this?

This is a proposal as no one has done this, but it is completely scientific to do this.

1st) separate the hair follicle

2nd) separate the dermal papillae

3rd) create non-replicative AAV-virus capable of inducing CD47 protein

4th) Transfect dermal papillae with the virus

5th) transplant them in another host

6th) about 90% of hair follicle will not get rejected, and they will have your characteristic of hair.

(*This is completely scientifically possible, but SHOULD NEVER BE DONE)
    (** CD47 is a don't eat me signal, that stop immune system from attacking a foreign graft, given intrinsic immune privilege of dermal papillae, CD47 expression, will most, likely will be extremely effective in hair follicle)

-FGF11

Quote Originally Posted by Ball D View Post
    To clarify this was my grandfather on my mothers side, so the hair would not have the balding gene.

I know hair is an organ and part of the integumentary system, so I'm thinking because of our shared genetics would I A) Be able to harvest his scalp and attach it to my own head? or B) Extract the individual follicles and plant them on my head.

Even if I had to take some medication as heart transplant patients have to take, this would be theoretically possible right?

The hair itself is grey but I figure I could dye it or keep the salt and pepper look.

Please respond quickly, as funeral is in 2 days. Thanks.
    Please don't even think about this.