+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by BaldingEagle View Post
    About new treatments, the same hype has been going on for years and it never happens.

Don't hold your breath, I'm a biologist and I understand full well how a planned 2018 release can become 2025 to maximize the efficacy or marketing opportunities / safety.

Shiseido is far from hurting for money they won't rush it.
    So do you think minox/ketoconazole/LLLT can buy me some time? If I can get 2-3 years ABOVE baseline and the get back to baseline 5 years from now I would be happy and accept my hair loss. Also, I do think better treatments will come out in 2-3 years. Last, Dr. Alan Bauman backs viviscal... Idk if that means anything to you or not.

About new treatments, the same hype has been going on for years and it never happens.

Don't hold your breath, I'm a biologist and I understand full well how a planned 2018 release can become 2025 to maximize the efficacy or marketing opportunities / safety.

Shiseido is far from hurting for money they won't rush it.
    If minox/keto/LLLT can keep me above baseline for 2-3 years and then return me to baseline at 5 years I would be happy. I truly do think something will come out in the next two years. Stem cell therapy is too promising. Also, Dr. Alana Bauman backs viviscal. What do you think of that?

It means nothing to me since I only trust studies and not anecdotes, doctor or not.

Also on minoxidil I believe its entirely possible to hold 3 years or so but the longer those follicles take androgen damage the harder time any treatment will have in the future. As for above baseline on just minix after 3 years? Probably not.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15316165/

Finasteride hairloss halting / growth rate 82%

Minoxidil 52%

Combined 96%

Those stats mean more than what some personal anecdotes will.

Pick your poison.

Also stem cell treatments for actual diseases come first.

I'd bet my life there will be no stem cell cure in the next 5 years.

It means nothing to me since I only trust studies and not anecdotes, doctor or not.

Also on minoxidil I believe its entirely possible to hold 3 years or so but the longer those follicles take androgen damage the harder time any treatment will have in the future. As for above baseline on just minix after 3 years? Probably not.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15316165/

Finasteride hairloss halting / growth rate 82%

Minoxidil 52%

Combined 96%

Those stats mean more than what some personal anecdotes will.

Pick your poison.
    Viviscal: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/1286738/

Minoxidil alone:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/3549803/

Thoughts?

Also stem cell treatments for actual diseases come first.

I'd bet my life there will be no stem cell cure in the next 5 years.
    Here is another with minox alone:

http://www.anagen.net/m14.htm

The viviscal study is incredibly hyperbolic. 38% increase lol? That's better than Propecia and we all know through actual use it's nowhere near Propecia. See any Viviscal before and afters that compare? Hell no lol. It's a very old study so it's not surprising that it's pretty incorrect or just biased.

As for minoxidil, if you ask any reputable HT doc or derm, and look at any comparison study, they all point to it being marginally effective. As does the AHA which state that on the official site.

Some people respond well to minoxidil and stay above baseline over 5 years. But on average no... 2-3 is more likely.

In my own experience with minoxidil it slowed my loss to a crawl for over a year, even a bit of regrowth in areas applied. The issue is I thinned in areas I wasn't expecting to and didn't apply it to. I'd personally do my entire head now and use 2 cans a month if I wasn't on fin now.

To summarize; Do I believe Those treatments are effective?

LLT: slight

Viviscal: negligible

Minoxidil: Potent for slowing, moderate halting, slight to regrowth with rare potential for significant growth.

Propecia: Nearly guaranteed slowing, significant in halting, slight in regrowth m. Add minoxidil with it bump it to moderate regrowth. Downside: possible sides.

Avodart; best we have, significant concern blocking 5AR1 due to amounts in brain.

The viviscal study is incredibly hyperbolic. 38% increase lol? That's better than Propecia and we all know through actual use it's nowhere near Propecia. See any Viviscal before and afters that compare? Hell no lol. It's a very old study so it's not surprising that it's pretty incorrect or just biased.

As for minoxidil, if you ask any reputable HT doc or derm, and look at any comparison study, they all point to it being marginally effective. As does the AHA which state that on the official site.

Some people respond well to minoxidil and stay above baseline over 5 years. But on average no... 2-3 is more likely.

In my own experience with minoxidil it slowed my loss to a crawl for over a year, even a bit of regrowth in areas applied. The issue is I thinned in areas I wasn't expecting to and didn't apply it to. I'd personally do my entire head now and use 2 cans a month if I wasn't on fin now.

To summarize; Do I believe Those treatments are effective?

LLT: slight

Viviscal: negligible

Minoxidil: Potent for slowing, moderate halting, slight to regrowth with rare potential for significant growth.

Propecia: Nearly guaranteed slowing, significant in halting, slight in regrowth m. Add minoxidil with it bump it to moderate regrowth. Downside: possible sides.

Avodart; best we have, significant concern blocking 5AR1 due to amounts in brain.

Here is a viviscal study from 2015

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed...&from=viviscal

I'm not arguing that DHT blockers aren't the most effective. I just want to know my chances of being above/at baseline for the next 5 years with my regimen