+ Reply to Thread

Default Propecia and DHT Levels

I am 26 and I started taking propecia about 5 months ago. I have no side effects as of now. Last week I went to get my DHT level measured and it was 10 on a scale of 16-79 being normal. Before I took propecia, the doctor ordered my testosterone blood work but did not measure DHT. All of my testosterone levels were normal before taking the drug and now they are slightly higher but within the normal range. My concern is that my DHT is now below normal and I have no baseline to go by since it wasn't measured before starting propecia.

Should I reduce my propecia dose in order to retest for DHT levels - and if so, what are your experiences with reducing dosages of propecia? My hair stopped falling out and looks good so far but I am concerned about keeping the DHT level below normal since it could lead to side effects later on. If I stop taking it for a few weeks and then restart with propecia, will my hair start to fall out again? Will it still be effective? This is all so confusing to me since I have ZERO side effects and my DHT is below normal.

Also, who is a good hair doctor in the Orange county or LA area? I was reading that Hasson & Wong, located in Vancouver, has a topical Fernasticide that is just as effective as the oral medication. Is it worth to try and has anyone had good results form the topical?

Pardon all of the questions, and thank you in advance for any advice or tips!!

The entire point of Propecia is to lower DHT. I don't understand the problem.

Not to lower it below normal.

Far below normal. DHT isn't higher in MPB. The follicles are sensitive to it.

Finasteride lowers DHT by over 67% well below normal.

Below normal DHT doesn't guarantee side effects in all people. Otherwise everyone on finasteride would have sides.

so then its safe to have below normal DHT levels as long as overall testosterone is within normal range. Do you know if you can still get good results by reducing the propecia dose?

Honestly using the 1mg per day dose used in the clinic trials proving efficacy.

As far as safety, people have been on it over 10 years without major issues. Of course all medical treatment has some risk.

thanks for the information.

Stick with 1mg and don't overthink things.

If you notice obvious side effects then talk with your doctor.

Taking 1mg a day you have an 86% chance at halting MPB and a 40% chance of regrowth. Those are pretty good odds and should give you some peace of mind about your hair.

Personally I added Rogaine and Propecia boosts rogaine a lot. Very happy I use both. Studies also showed people using both were above baseline over 10 years later. Impressive.

it looks like propecia is lowering your DHT levels since they are below the Normal range. I've read that The Main thing that matters is DHT levels within the follicle itself since type 2 5alpha reductase is created there locally. I've also read there's no accurate way to measure the DHT levels within the follicle. Just continue to monitor your hair every few months with pics.