+ Reply to Thread

Default donor hair from side of head?

Can the use of follicular unit extractors and the FIU machines open up new areas for hair donation such as the side of the head?

I started hair transplants back in the '70's first with plugs and later with follicular units when the strip grafting and "closing" techniques were not that great. As a result, I have extensive scaring in the back of my head and have been told by some surgeons that I don't have enough donor hair from the normal donor areas to accomplish my hairline goals. I have asked about getting hair from the side areas (even just below the crown--which is avoided by surgeons because they say your hair may continue to recede into those areas--although at 56, I don't see my crown thinning any further).

The reason I have been told why the side can't be used as a donor area is because strip grafts here would likely "open up" because of the tightness and movement of the scalp resulting in poor healing and scarring. However, with these new methods of removing individual hair units for transplant (which don't require closing and sutures) open up the side of the head for hair donation?

Quote Originally Posted by acer View Post
    Can the use of follicular unit extractors and the FIU machines open up new areas for hair donation such as the side of the head?

I started hair transplants back in the '70's first with plugs and later with follicular units when the strip grafting and "closing" techniques were not that great. As a result, I have extensive scaring in the back of my head and have been told by some surgeons that I don't have enough donor hair from the normal donor areas to accomplish my hairline goals. I have asked about getting hair from the side areas (even just below the crown--which is avoided by surgeons because they say your hair may continue to recede into those areas--although at 56, I don't see my crown thinning any further).

The reason I have been told why the side can't be used as a donor area is because strip grafts here would likely "open up" because of the tightness and movement of the scalp resulting in poor healing and scarring. However, with these new methods of removing individual hair units for transplant (which don't require closing and sutures) open up the side of the head for hair donation?

Acer,

You should be fine friend for some lower volume work not a big session. I have worked with alot of guys who had open donor plugs from the 70's - 90's. I waited and waited myself until 1996.

The problem is back then, 20-30 years ago, the plugs were much larger and donor sites far more invasive. Take one guess what the best part of your profile is? Or should I say one very important thing you pointed out is that you are not completely bald scalp especially in the crown area. You're 56, I am 55. Same, thinned but not completely gone. Strive to attain the look for the "illusion of coverage "as you are viewed straight on.

You are referring to the parietal zone on the sides of our scalps and patients vary both in the permannency of this hair from that zone. Yes, it can recede with age and not then considered terminal hair but one has to ask about it's chances for permanency "based on family history". Also, I have seen plenty of patients heal well from having FUE grafts harvested from the parietal zone. You definitely do not want to over-harvest the sides either.

Tough decisions to make. Feel free to call me anytime or if you want my opinion send me pics in confidence
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin