+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cool Start fin and min at the same time or separately?

Hey all, so after years of doing research and reading through forums and what not, but not actually doing anything about it, I'm at that point in my hair loss where action must finally be taken.

Just a little bit about myself, I am currently 28 years old and have noticed my hair loss starting at 20. This first six year upon noticing my hair loss it was gradual and not noticeable to anyone but myself, however upon approaching 26 was when it started becoming an issue to the point where I could no longer style my hair a certain way anymore.

Fast forward to today and I'm on the verge of ordering Kirkland Minoxidil and finpecia (both were recommended by two friends who have been taking each drug respectively and have had great results). From what I've been seeing and reading it seems that when both drugs are taken together the results have the potential to be even more amazing!

With that being said should I start with one over the other first (and see how I react to each) or should I go all in and start both at the same time?

And if I should start with one over the other then which should I start with first?

Thanks in advance!

BB

It takes several months to assess if they are working, so if you wait on one or the other you will lose a good amount of time. And as you are balding bad, you might not want to lose that time.

If I were you I'd go on both. If you have side effects from one or the other it should be easy enough to determine which drug they came from.

disclaimer: FWIW I'm only on min, not fin.

Start both together.

Thanks for the reply Mark and Dench.

Mark - would you say that both fin and min have unique side effects that it'd be easy enough to decipher which effects relate to which drug? Also how long have you been on min for and did you experience any side effects?

Dench - could you please elaborate as to why I should start both at the same time?

Lastly does both fun and min both cause shedding at first? If so should I expect double shedding if that's the case?!

Why not? They both work in completely different yet complimentary ways. Odds are you'll get better results using both than just one. What is your aim - maintenance? Regrowth?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Paul Shapiro, MD's Avatar

Balding Bad
    I usually suggest patients start Finasteride and Minoxidil together.
    They promote hair growth by different mechanisms and together can have a synergistic effect. They have different side effects so you should be able to tell if a side effect is from Finasteride or Minoxidil.
    Finasteride has a much more profound effect on hair growth then Minoxidil but the effects can take up to 6 months to be apparent. Shedding can happen with finasteride but is not common.
    Minoxidil does not has a much and effect, but the results usually are seen sooner than Finasteride. Shedding is more common on Minoxidil, but not always seen. If it does happen it is not a bad thing. It just means the hair that shed is going into a resting phase and should grow back thicker and longer.
    I tell patients that if they are only going to take one medication to take Finasteride because it is so much more effective.
    But if you are going to take both you may as well start both at the same time. If you get shedding just be patient. And the side effect profile of each is completely different so you should know if you’re having any side effects.
    I hope this is helpful
    Dr Paul
    Paul Shapiro, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Shapiro, MD View Post
    Balding Bad
    Dr Paul,

I've heard ketoconazole shampoo has the similar effect of Minoxidile. Is it proven, or is it effective in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Shapiro, MD View Post
    Balding Bad
    They promote hair growth by different mechanisms and together can have a synergistic effect. They have different side effects so you should be able to tell if a side effect is from Finasteride or Minoxidil.
    Finasteride has a much more profound effect on hair growth then Minoxidil but the effects can take up to 6 months to be apparent. Shedding can happen with finasteride but is not common.
    Minoxidil does not has a much and effect, but the results usually are seen sooner than Finasteride. Shedding is more common on Minoxidil, but not always seen. If it does happen it is not a bad thing. It just means the hair that shed is going into a resting phase and should grow back thicker and longer.
    I tell patients that if they are only going to take one medication to take Finasteride because it is so much more effective.
    But if you are going to take both you may as well start both at the same time. If you get shedding just be patient. And the side effect profile of each is completely different so you should know if you’re having any side effects.
    I hope this is helpful
    Dr Paul
    Hi Dr. Paul, thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my thread.

From some of the before and after photos I've been seeing of both Fin and Min taken together it has finally motivated to take action and to use both simultaneously. I actually just ordered Kirkland Minoxidil a couple days ago and I am currently awaiting a prescription for Finpecia to be written to me so I can order some.

Just out of curiosity though, would taking both Fin and Min at the same time result in double the shed (if shedding was to occur with me)? Or would the shed be "normal"? This is a major concern of mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Dench57 View Post
    Why not? They both work in completely different yet complimentary ways. Odds are you'll get better results using both than just one. What is your aim - maintenance? Regrowth?
    Dench, the aim here is both: regrowth AND maintenance!

Quote Originally Posted by Balding Bad View Post
    Dench, the aim here is both: regrowth AND maintenance!
    Then yes, use both. The best success stories on any hairloss forum are all Fin+Minox. Like Dr. Shapiro said though, Finasteride will be doing the heavy lifting in actually halting the balding process. Minox is a growth stimulant which needs to be continuously applied - and any hair you grow with Minox will be dependent on Minox (if you drop Minox, you lose those hairs).