+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Sudden change in hairline

Hi guys,

I am a 42 year old living in UK and have noticed a relatively rapid recession in my hairline at the front. I started taking propecia and minoxidil/finasteride 12.5 about 15 years ago when I first noticed the hairless. It seemed to work and as it was very expensive (via Belgravia clinic in London) I sourced my own propecia and moved to Regaine (5% minoxidil) after a couple of years. For the last 10 years the hair loss has been very gradual and then last October/Nov i started to notice the front receding and hair on my phone, desk, pillow etc.

I went back to Belgravia last Jan and they put me back on 12.5 minoxidil and it started to stabilise again from Feb onwards. However, again from Oct onwards this year, I have noticed the same again. My hairline has receded in several places by about 5mm in the last couple of months (so very aggressive compared to last 15 years).

The strange thing is, just like last oct/nov, the areas where I lose the hair (normal mph areas) feel different. It's like a tightness/numbness, hard to explain really. The Belgravia clinic have said it's probably shedding but have referred me for a blood test though I'm presuming this will be normal. They also have a stronger minoxidil does I can move on to.

Does anyone have any experiences of anything similar or any advice (I.e. stable hair loss using medication then rapid change at certain age).

Thanks guys, much appreciated

Phil

In general, everyone shreds a bit more in fall. So there could be some seasonal hair loss involved here.

However, I have never heard about some rapid change but rather some gradual decline of the effectiveness of Minox and Fin over the years. Perhaps you blood test may show some cause of this. Even tough your diet is balanced you can have some deficit of something sometimes. My blood stats are tend to be not as good in winter as they are in summer.

Ok thanks, I have a blood test in a couple of weeks so will see how I get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairmore View Post
    In general, everyone shreds a bit more in fall. So there could be some seasonal hair loss involved here.

However, I have never heard about some rapid change but rather some gradual decline of the effectiveness of Minox and Fin over the years. Perhaps you blood test may show some cause of this. Even tough your diet is balanced you can have some deficit of something sometimes. My blood stats are tend to be not as good in winter as they are in summer.

Good to hear that. I hope your problem will solve out by itself already until then. (Sometimes happen with these temporary changes)