+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Linking diet to acne metabolomics, inflammation, and comedogenesis [AND BALDNESS]

PREFACE:

Symptoms Correlating with MPB (basically, the hormone profile that causes these also causes MPB)

- insulin resistance (diabetes, PCOS, etc.)
    - prostate cancer (prolactin and androgens)
    - heart disease (androgens)

All of these can be alleviated with Paleolithic diet.

Is it possible paleo can help with MPB?

The paleo diet posits that we should eat like hunter gatherers (e.g. no processed grains or dairy). This is how we ate for the majority of human existence, and only very recently did we start to eat foods that resemble our modern western diet.

This may explain why the japanese have youthful looks and hair. It also may explain why those south american tribes in the middle of the amazon are nw(-3)

Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2015 Jul 15;8:371-88. doi: 10.2147/CCID.S69135. eCollection 2015.
    Linking diet to acne metabolomics, inflammation, and comedogenesis: an update.
    Melnik BC1.
    Author information

Abstract
    Acne vulgaris, an epidemic inflammatory skin disease of adolescence, is closely related to Western diet. Three major food classes that promote acne are: 1) hyperglycemic carbohydrates, 2) milk and dairy products, 3) saturated fats including trans-fats and deficient ω-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs). Diet-induced insulin/insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1)-signaling is superimposed on elevated IGF-1 levels during puberty, thereby unmasking the impact of aberrant nutrigenomics on sebaceous gland homeostasis. Western diet provides abundant branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs), glutamine, and palmitic acid. Insulin and IGF-1 suppress the activity of the metabolic transcription factor forkhead box O1 (FoxO1). Insulin, IGF-1, BCAAs, glutamine, and palmitate activate the nutrient-sensitive kinase mechanistic target of rapamycin complex 1 (mTORC1), the key regulator of anabolism and lipogenesis. FoxO1 is a negative coregulator of androgen receptor, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ (PPARγ), liver X receptor-α, and sterol response element binding protein-1c (SREBP-1c), crucial transcription factors of sebaceous lipogenesis. mTORC1 stimulates the expression of PPARγ and SREBP-1c, promoting sebum production. SREBP-1c upregulates stearoyl-CoA- and Δ6-desaturase, enhancing the proportion of monounsaturated fatty acids in sebum triglycerides. Diet-mediated aberrations in sebum quantity (hyperseborrhea) and composition (dysseborrhea) promote Propionibacterium acnes overgrowth and biofilm formation with overexpression of the virulence factor triglyceride lipase increasing follicular levels of free palmitate and oleate. Free palmitate functions as a "danger signal," stimulating toll-like receptor-2-mediated inflammasome activation with interleukin-1β release, Th17 differentiation, and interleukin-17-mediated keratinocyte proliferation. Oleate stimulates P. acnes adhesion, keratinocyte proliferation, and comedogenesis via interleukin-1α release. Thus, diet-induced metabolomic alterations promote the visible sebofollicular inflammasomopathy acne vulgaris. Nutrition therapy of acne has to increase FoxO1 and to attenuate mTORC1/SREBP-1c signaling. Patients should balance total calorie uptake and restrict refined carbohydrates, milk, dairy protein supplements, saturated fats, and trans-fats. A paleolithic-like diet enriched in vegetables and fish is recommended. Plant-derived mTORC1 inhibitors and ω-3-PUFAs are promising dietary supplements supporting nutrition therapy of acne vulgaris.
    KEYWORDS:
    acne; comedogenesis; diet; inflammasome; metabolomics; quorum sensing
    PMID: 26203267 [PubMed] PMCID: PMC4507494 Free PMC Article

AGA has absolutely NOTHING to do with your diet, your workout routine, etc. If that wasn't the case, there wouldn't be any fat people with hair, or fit people who were bald. If the "paleo" diet, or the "Atkins" diet, or the "whatever" diet had anything to do with hair loss, there wouldn't be any bald vegetarians, nor any McDonalds-eaters with hair. There is nothing that can affect the condition that doesn't work on the pathology of the condition at a cellular level.

I believe this is spot on. I myself have all 3 deseases among close family members, and do notice a much lower scalp itch and redness when I eat as close as I can to this diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Occulus View Post
    AGA has absolutely NOTHING to do with your diet, your workout routine, etc. If that wasn't the case, there wouldn't be any fat people with hair, or fit people who were bald. If the "paleo" diet, or the "Atkins" diet, or the "whatever" diet had anything to do with hair loss, there wouldn't be any bald vegetarians, nor any McDonalds-eaters with hair. There is nothing that can affect the condition that doesn't work on the pathology of the condition at a cellular level.
    If diet isn't "affecting things on the cellular level", than why are there studies saying diet can affect acne/insulin resistance/inflammation/hormones/etc.?

Note that I did not say diet would cure MPB, or prevent MPB or that diet was the cause of MPB-- but the science seems to point that certain diets could speed up or exasperate MPB.

Why is MPB the only thing that can't be affected by diet but acne/insulin resistance/inflammation/hormone levels and a million other things can be? I feel like most of the people I've heard say this are fat bald people who don't want to believe their poor decisions maybe played some role in their poor outcomes.

me thinks you might be mistaken in your thought processes.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHairASAP View Post
    If diet isn't "affecting things on the cellular level", than why are there studies saying diet can affect acne/insulin resistance/inflammation/hormones/etc.?

Note that I did not say diet would cure MPB, or prevent MPB or that diet was the cause of MPB-- but the science seems to point that certain diets could speed up or exasperate MPB.

Why is MPB the only thing that can't be affected by diet but acne/insulin resistance/inflammation/hormone levels and a million other things can be? I feel like most of the people I've heard say this are fat bald people who don't want to believe their poor decisions maybe played some role in their poor outcomes.

Then why doesn't diet cure cancer? Or retardation? Or congenital blindness? Or...

AGA has nothing to do with diet. AGA has nothing to do with exercise. As I said, there are billions and billions of people on the planet - if diet or exercise affected AGA one way or the other, the anecdotal evidence would be obvious. Even if it could "exacerbate it," so what? How is that going to impact you in a significant way? You're still going to go bald, or you're still going to stay bald, regardless of what you eat or what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHairASAP View Post

I agree that diet must affect hair loss at some level. I suffered acne when I was younger and completely cured it with diet alone. Certain foods were definitely triggers for inflammation.

All those years ago when I was researching the insulin connection etc with relation to acne, posters on a similar forum to this one [Albeit dedicated to acne] would use the exact same line: "If diet affected acne then there wouldn't be fat people with perfect skin etc etc".

What everyone failed to understand is that diet only plays a role when you are predisposed to a certain condition.

Back then thousands of posters had their head in the sand. Any talk of a diet connection was met with complete condescension [This is roughly 2004]. Instead people were advised to take their equivalent of the big three [Which were a combination of topicals].

Now it is more or less common knowledge that diet is the biggest aggravator of acne and those treatment are more or less obsolete.

If epigenetics had NOTHING to do with balding then every monozygotic twin in existence would have exactly the same amount of hair. OF COURSE DIET MATTERS

Quote Originally Posted by youngin View Post
    If epigenetics had NOTHING to do with balding then every monozygotic twin in existence would have exactly the same amount of hair. OF COURSE DIET MATTERS
    Im not saying your wrong, but there are newer studies showing that identical twins do actually have different numbers of copies of genes of the same genes even if the genes are identical. They are not exactly genetically the same and its not just 100 percent environmental factors going on there if that is what you imply saying diet has to matter. Diet could play some role, but the percentage is very much questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by youngin View Post
    Oh really? So you have a link to a double blind that proves that? Please

Diet does not cause AGA hair loss, nor can it restore AGA-lossed hair.

Oh really? So you have a link to a double blind that proves that? Please

Diet does not cause AGA hair loss, nor can it restore AGA-lossed hair.
    Double blind trials when it comes to hair loss are worthy of an eye roll in and of itself. The condition has no cure and subsequently no definitive data on which measures are best for treatment.

Of course diet won't reverse hair loss but to conclude that it has 'zero' bearing on hair loss is ignorant to say the least.

Science is constantly evolving. What we believed ten years ago is entirely different from what we believe today. I've never understood this inherent trait of people talking in absolutes when it comes to science. New information is a daily proposition and close minded thinking serves absolutely zero benefit to humanity other than embarrassing oneself.