+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    The low hanging fruit for cures and treatments is long gone. No one is going to scribble down the cure for MPB on the back of a napkin somewhere its way too hard for that. No one guy is going to hack together the cure for MPB.
    A lot of things that in theory could or should work dont in practice ever amount to much if anything. Putting theory into a practical compound that works is really where the rubber meets the road. Easier said than done. Only 2 companies have ever done it.
    the difference is: this guy tests his theories directly and immediately on himself, because he knows what is dangerous and what not. he knows the risk and he has the know-how to test different things in a safe way on himself.
    he doesn't have to do years of tests on mice and go through clinical trials and first find investors who give him millions of dollar to test a theory.
    if he knows the science and has access to tools and materials, which all seems to be the case, then he could get very far if he is eager and passionate enough. with the right effort, a single person can get much further than all those so-called hair researchers who spend years and millions of money without real progress. most of them have a full head of hair, so they are not in a hurry to find an effective cure. just tinkering in their labs, year after year, publishing meaningless papers and tests on mice which never work on humans.

Quote Originally Posted by joachim View Post
    the difference is: this guy tests his theories directly and immediately on himself, because he knows what is dangerous and what not. he knows the risk and he has the know-how to test different things in a safe way on himself.
    he doesn't have to do years of tests on mice and go through clinical trials and first find investors who give him millions of dollar to test a theory.
    if he knows the science and has access to tools and materials, which all seems to be the case, then he could get very far if he is eager and passionate enough. with the right effort, a single person can get much further than all those so-called hair researchers who spend years and millions of money without real progress. most of them have a full head of hair, so they are not in a hurry to find an effective cure. just tinkering in their labs, year after year, publishing meaningless papers and tests on mice which never work on humans.

hey FGF11, i was wondering: do you have the tools and are you able to analyze dermal papilla cells in terms of gene expression? if you are aiming at full regrowth, does this involve some culturing (multiplication) of cells?
    i'm not sure if you are aware of all the culturing attempts in the past as you are probably not long enough on the forum.
    researchers like jahoda, christiano, and other labs tried to multiply DP cells but none of them succeeded as it turned out the cells lose inductive capabilities and gene expression levels of some genes.
    some recent papers seem to indicate that there was progress regarding this but there's no clear answer to that yet. maybe you've seen the other recent thread about the nanocoating which seem to allow the cells to expand and retaining all the necessary properties. however, there is no exact comparison of before/after gene expression levels so this may still be not a full success. i don't know.

are you aware of those issues? does your approach even need some culturing of cells?

Yes, I'm aware about them.

The first cell therapies for skin was actually developed by Howard Green. He, unfortunately, died. But what he did was, he cultured epithelial human cells in a very specific way. In which, he added the media from under, and layers of epithelia grew out and then he developed autologous cell transplantation. This gave rise to few companies, one of them was named Organogenesis, which developed substitute skins but the company went bankrupt because first. Many of the famous skin biologists today are trained in his lab, including elaine fuchs, which she has trained many others including Dr. Rendl, Dr. Greco, ..

In response to a question, he says the following:

"It's worth noting that at the time we did the initial skin graft experiments, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) existed, but they were not interested, and there were no committees whose approval you had to seek. We went ahead with this without any impediments of that sort. Within a few years, I could not do an experiment on a mouse without committee approval, so that's how the situation changed within a short period of time. If I had needed to face that at the beginning, I wouldn't have started the whole thing because it's just too much to deal with."

So even prominent scientist are actually happened by FDA in many ways.

Colin Jahoda, was among the first scientist, who showed that dermal papillae can induce hair follicle regeneration. At the time, he was working at Dr. Reynolds lab, which was a pioneer in hair follicle studies. He has also trained many of Many other scientists, such as Dr. Christiano, which she has Trained Dr. Higgins, and so on. Dr. Jahoda, first transplanted a hair follicle to his wife's hand and showed that dermal papillae can induce hair follicles.

However, later on works from Dr. Mc Elwee showed that derma sheath cells are more important than dermal papillae cells. Dermal papillae cells never actually divide in vivo, so they must come from somewhere. After recent studies, By Dr. Bernieskie, (was trained in Dr. Freda miller lab) he showed that actually Dermal sheath cells contribute to dermal papillae, and dermal papillae is not the important one.

So replicel seems to be on the right track here. Since aderans and intercytex were trying to use dermal papillae (as what Dr. Christiano and Higgins) are trying to do. However replicel is culturing dermal sheath cells.

However, guaranteed it won't work.

Why? you may ask?

Hematopoietic stem cells have been known for 50 years or so, and tons of more research is being done on them for bone marrow transplantation studies. We do have Hematopoietic stem cell for quite a decade now, however, despite 10X more knowledge on them than hair follicle stem cells. Scientists have not yet been able to culture these stem cells. It's not possible. Replicell is on the right track, but it'll take 50 more years for them to learn how to culture these cells. They will differentiate so fast and irreversibly since they are out of their niche.

If some one finds a way to culture Hematopoietic stem cells, he could save millions of people every year. But alas it's not yet feasible. So is hair follicle stem cell culture.

As for cell coating, those are jokes. They are not useful in any sense. The only real use I see, is to some how use them to coast stem cells from other people, or may be embryonic stem cells used by histogen (so these cells would become immune protective) and transplant them back to the hair. So they will secrete growth factors in the head, while the body won't attack them.

This is not something fancy, as viacyte is doing the exact same thing, they're using some one else's embryonic stem cells but they put it in a protective sheet and implant it in the body. They're using it to cure diabetes. They are in clinical trials. As for diabetes, no one has still find a way to replicate those stem cells as well. and we know tons more about beta-cells than any other cells.

So my take, it won't happens soon. Dr. Paul kemp was the smartest and given up on that long ago.

A simple gene analysis will take years if I want to do, and so no I can't do that. Also, I know, even if I try I would fail to keep inductivity of dermal papillae or dermal sheath cells, It's gigantic task.
    It's nothing short of miracle.

There are a lot of big problems in this world, that hair loss, sometimes seems actually quite small compared to them. Watch The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off, and My Flesh and Blood just to get an idea of how a disease such as Epidermolysis bullosa can be soooooooooo much worse than hair loss. So please stay positive. and be grateful for what you are and have in life but also don't sit on your butt

I'm taking a real break from this for maybe a month or two. I need some refreshing.

For the regrowth, I can't talk about it now. But rest assured it's something new, that no one has tried ever before. But it's crazy, so I need to do it first in mice, and so I have no resources to do that. Unless, I start legitly working on this in a legit lab, and it might take years.

life's short, it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by FGF11 View Post
    For the regrowth, I can't talk about it now. But rest assured it's something new, that no one has tried ever before. But it's crazy, so I need to do it first in mice, and so I have no resources to do that. Unless, I start legitly working on this in a legit lab, and it might take years.

life's short, it sucks.
    but wouldn't this be a good opportunity to work together with other researchers where you would have access to a lab and mice and everything which is required. Dr. Hsu from Follicept was mentioned in a recent post. i could imagine he could be very interested if you talk to him about your idea. together you could achieve results much faster, and he is also a brilliant and nice guy. he's also doing various tests on mice so i think he should have a lab and a license to do all that with mice.
    but that's just idea... it's up to you of course. as you mentioned the open science aspect i assume you are interested in collaborations with other researchers.

BTW where are you located? somewhere in europe? just curious

There are a lot of big problems in this world, that hair loss, sometimes seems actually quite small compared to them. Watch The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off, and My Flesh and Blood just to get an idea of how a disease such as Epidermolysis bullosa can be soooooooooo much worse than hair loss. So please stay positive. and be grateful for what you are and have in life but also don't sit on your butt
    Oh, ffs, not this again.

So replicel seems to be on the right track here. Since aderans and intercytex were trying to use dermal papillae (as what Dr. Christiano and Higgins) are trying to do. However replicel is culturing dermal sheath cells.

However, guaranteed it won't work.
    What do you mean when you say Replicel won't work? This process has never been done before.
    I don't believe they will release a product which doesn't work...

Elon musk that genius has a answer to everything. Look he can even regrow his hair magically;