X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • valiattims
    • Aug 2015

Am i going bald? Only 18

(Sorry for bad english)
    So i decided to slick my hair back and saw that big receding hair line only on the left side
    My this is because i always combed my hair from left do right and
    Maybe because i cutted some irregular hair there by myself and had bad results
    Pics: http://imgur.com/a/JaHMB
  • Hubris
    • Jul 2015

Originally posted by valiattims
    (Sorry for bad english)
    So i decided to slick my hair back and saw that big receding hair line only on the left side
    My this is because i always combed my hair from left do right and
    Maybe because i cutted some irregular hair there by myself and had bad results
    Pics: http://imgur.com/a/JaHMB
    Yes, you remind me of Bruce Willis.

Comment

• jamesst11
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Hubris
      Yes, you remind me of Bruce Willis.
      No reason to be sarcastic. At 18, thinning is a major concern. It's hard to tell brother. Do you have any pics of your hair wet, under better lighting? Do you have any comparison pics of you a couple years back? It is really hard to tell you based on these pics.

Comment

• Frankthetank
        • May 2015

it's tough to tell. either way, enjoy yourself now while you've got it to be honest. You wouldn't really want to start a medication like fin for another couple years anyways (in my opinion).

Comment

• Occulus
          • Dec 2013

Without pictures of your hairline at age 13 or 15 it's hard to be certain, but it would appear that yes, you are experiencing loss at the temples. Get on finasteride and minodoxdil if you can.

Comment

• Follisket
            • Aug 2014

Welcome to the party. Here's the good news: nothing else will ever seem like a real problem in comparison.
            YAY.

Comment

• Hubris
              • Jul 2015

Originally posted by jamesst11
              No reason to be sarcastic. At 18, thinning is a major concern. It's hard to tell brother. Do you have any pics of your hair wet, under better lighting? Do you have any comparison pics of you a couple years back? It is really hard to tell you based on these pics.
              A little humor in this world is OK, jamesst11. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't employ sarcasm. Frankly though, there is no indication of recession what so ever. OP even states that he cut some irregular hairs at the parietal ridge with admittedly bad results.

Comment

• Hairmore
                • Oct 2015

Well, it is hard to say if really don't have some MPB from this pic. So far I would say no you have no problem with MPB and that you should not worry about your hair too much. Do you have any other reason why you are worrying? Do you remember having a different hairline or do you have problems with hair loss in your close family?

Comment

• valiattims
                  • Aug 2015

http://imgur.com/a/G5A0S <--- pics of my wet hair

Comment

• valiattims
                    • Aug 2015

The brother (the only one) of my mother is bald and 4 of the 5 brothers of my mother's side grandmother are bald BUT both of my grandfathers died with full head of hair and my father has very good amount of hair at 50 (he started losing a little at ~45)
                    The thing that worries me is that my cousins (sons of my mother's brother) have some serious receded hairline at 21 and 18

Comment

• Occulus
                      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by valiattims
                      The brother (the only one) of my mother is bald and 4 of the 5 brothers of my mother's side grandmother are bald BUT both of my grandfathers died with full head of hair and my father has very good amount of hair at 50 (he started losing a little at ~45)
                      The thing that worries me is that my cousins (sons of my mother's brother) have some serious receded hairline at 21 and 18
                      All of that is meaningless; it doesn't matter if your father and grandfathers and cousins have full heads of hair - you can still go bald. Conversely, every male on both side of your family could be bald, and you could keep your hair. There is no 1-to-1 relationship with genetic baldness and family history.

Yes, it looks like you are in the early stages of hair loss. You have recession at the temples in a classic NW1.5 pattern. Go see a dermatologist, then get a prescription for finasteride. If minoxodil is available over-the-counter, get on that, too. The earlier you catch it, the more hair you'll keep. Luckily for you, it looks like some good therapies will be available in the 5-10 year timeframe, so even if you lose a lot of hair, you'll probably be able to get it back by the time you're in your late 20's.

Comment

• valiattims
                        • Aug 2015

And there are some short hair falling (~3cm)

Comment

• Thinning87
                          • Dec 2012

When it's wet, it seems to me that there might be some very early stage thinning on your temples, which would mean you will lose your hair throughout your 20's. It's most likely the pattern of someone who has somewhat slow loss, and will look like he has a full head of hair until around age 24. Then the thinning will become observable at around 25-26 on your temples, and you will have to start wearing your hair short after 27.

I could be wrong, you need to go see a dermatologist. Only a professional will be able to tell you, definitely don't take anyone's word on a forum.
                          Lucky for you, if you are in fact losing your hair, our recent news confirm that there are 2-3 companies out there with products that have amazing potential, and if you will be able to afford them, by the time you are 24 there will be something out there and it'll be like you don't have hair loss.

Comment

• Hairmore
                            • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Occulus
                            All of that is meaningless; it doesn't matter if your father and grandfathers and cousins have full heads of hair - you can still go bald. Conversely, every male on both side of your family could be bald, and you could keep your hair. There is no 1-to-1 relationship with genetic baldness and family history.
                            There may not be a 1 to 1 relationship between the hair status of your relatives and you, but there certainly is some sort of relationship. I do not want to quote any scientific papers here but the relationship is apparent when I look at my relatives and some of my friends. I have never see a guy going bald with his parents and brothers still with a full head of hair. My bros also have mpb.

Comment

• Hubris
                              • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Hairmore
                              There may not be a 1 to 1 relationship between the hair status of your relatives and you, but there certainly is some sort of relationship. I do not want to quote any scientific papers here but the relationship is apparent when I look at my relatives and some of my friends. I have never see a guy going bald with his parents and brothers still with a full head of hair. My bros also have mpb.
                              I agree with you, but I must say that there is only one person in my family who lost his hair around the same time as me (17 onwards) and that would be my uncle on my father's side. My grandfather is 74 and only started diffuse thinning about 2 years ago, and my father is in his 50's and only has the slightest recession now.

Comment

Working...