Went for a consultation yesterday. What a joke.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Very Plastic
    • Oct 2015

Went for a consultation yesterday. What a joke.

Seems like a complete waste of time, money and energy.

I have a congenital NW2 (NW2A?), so please don't suggest any hair restoration "treatments." Nothing (outside of HT) will help regrow hair in an area that never had hair to begin with. Hairline has otherwise remained stable.

Maybe I need to consult with a better HT surgeon, but the one I saw yesterday (who happens to be one of the best in my city!) informed me that I would require two sessions (around 1,000 grafts each). The first one would get me to around 25% of my existing hair density, and the second one (to be performed in one years' time), would get me to no more than 50%.

What kind of a joke is that? Is there anything else I can do? Or is that what most HT surgeons will tell me can be done?

• BaldingEagle
    • Oct 2015

Are you expecting a transplant to make you nw0? That's just not going to happen.

Comment

• Very Plastic
      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by BaldingEagle
      Are you expecting a transplant to make you nw0? That's just not going to happen.
      No, but to fill in the receded area and give me a fuller-looking hairline. Is that too much to ask?

But am I going to pay $9,000 to achieve 50% density in the temple area? That would just look awful when contrasted with my thick, dense hair, and make it look like I'm suffering from MPB/thinning.

Is there seriously no HT surgeon in the world that can match (or "almost" match) the existing density of my hair? Just LOL @ 50%.

----
      A note to everyone else:

If you're some "doctor" from Mumbai, or the administrative capital of Pararavahvavhahasha in India, please don't bother posting in my thread. I don't want to hear it. But this will most likely fall on deaf ears since you're a bot.

Comment

• fred970
        • Nov 2009

Your hair is fine, and you suffer from BDD. No surgeon in his right mind will operate on you.

Comment

• jamesst11
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by fred970
          Your hair is fine, and you suffer from BDD. No surgeon in his right mind will operate on you.
          This is accurate... but, actually yes, certain unethical butchers will operate on you. A hair transplant at your stage is a horrible idea. You should consider yourself very very lucky to have such hair. I would pay 100k for hair like that.

Comment

• fred970
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by jamesst11
            This is accurate... but, actually yes, certain unethical butchers will operate on you. A hair transplant at your stage is a horrible idea. You should consider yourself very very lucky to have such hair. I would pay 100k for hair like that.
            Where would the surgeon even put the grafts? On his forehead?!

It's sad when you think that indeed, an unethical surgeon will do it, and OP will dive into without thinking.

Don't make that mistake.

Comment

• jamesst11
              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by fred970
              Where would the surgeon even put the grafts? On his forehead?!

It's sad when you think that indeed, an unethical surgeon will do it, and OP will dive into without thinking.

Don't make that mistake.
              hahaha... true true... but trust me, the surgeon that did mine wouldn't think twice to ruin this young mans life for a few bucks. Trust me on that one, she did it to me. It is f*cking SAD. PLEASE, listen to me and Fred and DON'T DO IT. You will ruin your life like I did. You are very lucky to have joined this forum and to have come across people who have been through what you're considering. I will say it once more - IF you come across a surgeon that will operate on you, DO NOT F*CKING DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• BaldingEagle
                • Oct 2015

Too much to ask to BY HAND place enough grafts as tightly as 100% full hair density? Yes it is.

You seem very ignorant to what hair transplantation really is, and no ethical doctor in their right mind would operate on someone with full hair and a naturally high hairline.

If you're always this condescending about things, I'd be more worried about being a likable person.

Comment

• PayDay
                  • Nov 2008

If you find a surgeon who will actually say they can do what you're asking for, the "joke" will be on you my friend. You've been given some very good advice. Take it!

Comment

• DAVE52
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Very Plastic
                    No, but to fill in the receded area and give me a fuller-looking hairline. Is that too much to ask?

But am I going to pay $9,000 to achieve 50% density in the temple area? That would just look awful when contrasted with my thick, dense hair, and make it look like I'm suffering from MPB/thinning.

Is there seriously no HT surgeon in the world that can match (or "almost" match) the existing density of my hair? Just LOL @ 50%.

Nothing wrong with your hair as it is .
                    You need to do more research into HT's
                    No one is going to give you the density YOU want .
                    HT's will only give the illusion of a full head of hair
                    You would be doing more harm than good by filling in your temples

Comment

• JoeTillman
                      • Jul 2014

This is an interesting case. I'd like to address two issues that are brought up.

First, the consultation. What you need to realize is that the very reason why you feel you are a good candidate for surgery is exactly what precludes you from being the ideal candidate for surgery. Your hair is the same as it was even 15 years ago as a ten year old. This means that the hair you have now is at the highest native density you've ever had because it most likely has not diminished. This is the very defintion of someone in your position, having a congenitally high hairline and deep temples. It does not mean there is loss nor is there recession because recession means it has receded from where it once was. Yours has not. But the density you have now in the hairline is not easy to match. When building a hairline however the native density does not need to be matched as anything over a certain percentage is wasted hair. Why? Because once a certain density is achieved you gain a visual equilibrium to the hair you have now. It may not make sense but it's true. The rule of thumb is that once 50% density is achieved then it is indistinguishable from native density. This is, in my opinion, not true especially for patientsl like you that have dark fine hair on pale fair skin. You need a higher density but nowhere near 100%. To get what you want there are few doctors that can pull it off in one session but in my opinion AND experience it is best to approach cases like yours in two passes. What's more, and this is never discussed online, even in the hands of someone that could get the right density in one pass doens't mean it is possible for you. Why? Scalp tissue integrity. This refers to how your scalp tissue holds up to the dense packing of the tiny incisions made in your scalp. In some patients the skin will literally dissolve in between incisions if they are too close so a case that was being addressed with a plan for ultra density has to be modified by reducing the density to a level that the skin can accept. It happens more than people realize.

The second issue I'd like to address is your candidacy overall. Hair transplant surgery is a risk for anyone and everyone that goes through it. No guarantee is worth the paper it is printed on or the breath it is carried on because no one has full control over your result. What CAN be guaranteed is support IF the result is not what is expected. But what I see in your case is not exactly something that would scream "don't do it". I know why this bothers you because I've dealth with similar patients before. I think the recommendation you were given is not far off the mark and I do see areas where surgery may help you to feel better about your appearance. Bringing you in line with what a true NW2 should be is not out of the question and I don't think that anyone that decides to accept you as a patient is a butcher (by this qualifier alone that is). As long as it is approached with care and by experienced and ethical hands you might be ok. That is assuming you are being truthful about your family history which, as you stated, shows a history with zero actual hair loss.

I am not endorsing your position and I would encourage you to take a step back and think about what everyone is telling you. You do have a beautiful head of hair that everyone here is envious of. However, I have a feeling you're going to do something anyway so in a case like yours I think guidance and education is the best way to help you. FUE only, stay as far away from FUSS if possible, and go conservative and find someone that has a truly excellent track record of consistency. Then, ask yourself what you'd do if the result didn't grow well. What will you do if the density is not what is promised and you have a completely see through hairline that is thin and wispy. What will you do if you have recipient site scarring that is visible through the thin and wispy growth that did match your expectations? How will you "fix" the issue? Are you prepared to go through multiple surgeries to chase the ever elusive and impossible to achieve look of a virgin scalp? Once you are cut you are cut and there is no going back. These are real questions that you should answer before you have no choice.

I would like to see your photos in a larger format with higher resolution, if you don't mind. Click the link below to find my contact information .
                      Joe Tillman
                      The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
                      See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Comment

Working...