+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 29 Yr old male

Default 29 Yr old male

Hello All,

Long time reader, first time caller. I have been reading this forum for a few years and must say it is comforting to have a place where you can research information through doctors and patients about such a sensitive topic.

About me: I am a 29 yr old male and have been thinning since I was about 21. I had been using both finasteride and rogaine for years, but discontinued the finasteride because I was having some sexual side effects and it was causing alot of acne on my forehead for some reason. I have stuck with rogaine, but continue to see the thinning on the crown of my head which I almost find more bothersome than the thinning in the front. I have begun brushing my hair certain ways to hide the thinness and am extremely insecure when its messy because in my opinion you can really see how thin it is.

When I was around 25, I visited a Bosely center in Midtown, but got the impression that the associate I met with was more of a salesman and less of a doctor, which ultimately turned me off by the whole process.

I am clueless when it comes to doctors, which is why I am posting here. Of course I know the Dr. Bernstein's group, but other than that I would love some suggestions.

I am worried of course that if and when I had the procedure, would my hairline look really fake because my hair is soo fine and straight? I don't think I would have unrealistic expectations, but I would certainly want to choose a doctor who has dealt with my hair type and see his results prior to any surgery. I only have basic knowledge of thee strip and FUE surgery. I realize the FUE is more expensive, but for something like this I think I would be willing to extend myself.

I have attached a few photos. Any advice or suggestion is greatly appreciated

Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-02-11 10.45.37.jpg

Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	3841

Name:	2010-02-11 10.46.43.jpg

Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	3842

Name:	2010-02-11 10.47.09.jpg

Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	3843

Name:	2010-02-11 10.49.09.jpg

Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	3844

Name:	2010-02-11 10.49.55.jpg

Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	3845

Name:	2010-02-11 10.51.36.jpg

Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	3846

Name:	2010-02-11 10.50.35.jpg

Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	3847

Your not in too bad of shape, and just from the looks of things, would probably be a good candidate for a hair transplant. My only problem with your post is that you stopped propecia. I would highly recommend starting it again, perhaps trying half a dose a day. I know you had side effects, but a hair transplant at your age will be tough, because you will likely experience future hair loss. Propecia would protect against this better than rogaine.

It's a good thing you went with your instincts and nixed the Bosley transplant.

Your hair characteristics are no obstacle to a good transplant result. Being fine and straight, you'd be best off planning for density at the higher end of the scale to ensure good coverage and a natural look, but your characteristics are far from uncommon and any highly regarded doctor is going to have experience with hair like yours.

My advice would be to carry on researching and make sure you know what you will be undertaking; be aware of the potential risks and settle on a doctor based on his reputation, his results (as in does he deliver the type of aesthetics that appeal to you) and secondary to that his location and price.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Here a few things to think about. It is generally easier for a hair restoration physician to create a natural hairline with fine hair. However, it is more difficult and takes more work to create good density compared to patients who have coarse hair. It appears from your photos that you have good donor hair and if your expectations are realistic than you would most likely be a good candidate for hair transplant surgery.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

I really appreciate all the advice.

Can anyone recommend some surgeons that I could set up consultations to further my research. I am located about 30 miles north of NYC and would also be willing to travel for a procedure.

Again thank you.

The highly respected Dr Feller is located in New York.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    The highly respected Dr Feller is located in New York.
    I actually used to live about 10 minutes from his office prior to moving 6 months ago. Thank you very much

How can one research other reputable doctors, especially considering I do not know anyone personally that has undergone this procedure?

Doctor Representative Limmer HTC's Avatar

Default response

Dan:

I fully agree with what Dr. Charles noted above. One of my biggest concerns for you is that future hair loss is going to happen as you cannot take a DHT blocker. Not if, but when this occurs you must realize you will be faced with addition transplantation.
    Have you seen Dr. Bernstein? If not, I believe you could get a lot of your questions answer by him or Robin Unger in NYC.

Brad Limmer, MD/jac
    Tracy Mills
    HT Coordinator
    Limmer HTC

www.limmerhtc.com
    limmerhtc@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Limmer HTC View Post
    Dan:

I fully agree with what Dr. Charles noted above. One of my biggest concerns for you is that future hair loss is going to happen as you cannot take a DHT blocker. Not if, but when this occurs you must realize you will be faced with addition transplantation.
    Have you seen Dr. Bernstein? If not, I believe you could get a lot of your questions answer by him or Robin Unger in NYC.

Brad Limmer, MD/jac

Dr. Limmer,

I have not consulted any physicians other than my dermatologist who had initially prescribed me propecia. Based on that experience, I would much rather stay away from propecia because of the noted side effects and that I have read some very negative things about after I noticed my minor issues.

I am very familiar with the area where Dr. Feller is located, but if some here feel as if Dr. Bernstein or Dr. Unger are better suited for consultation purposes, please let me know. I feel as if I have been at a stalemate for a few years and am at the very least ready to speak with a physician/surgeon.

Believe me this is not something I will blindly jump into without doing my due diligence. Again, I appreciate any support and advice given. Thank you

Doctor Representative Limmer HTC's Avatar

Default Dr. Feller

rlucas:
    I'm sure Dr. Feller can take care of all your needs and answer all your questions. I just have never met him, while Dr. Bernstein and Dr. Unger are MDs I've known for quite a long time. Good luck pursuing your answers and don't be afraid to meet with a couple of physicians.
    Brad Limmer, MD/jac
    Tracy Mills
    HT Coordinator
    Limmer HTC

www.limmerhtc.com
    limmerhtc@yahoo.com