+ Reply to Thread

Default Losing 5aR1 may promote insulin resistance and fatty liver (dut)

So according to this article, "5αR1 deficiency induces insulin resistance and hepatic steatosis, consistent with the intrahepatic accumulation of glucocorticoids, and predisposes to hepatic fibrosis"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25239636

I personally didn't have good result taking dutasteride, but responds relatively well with finasteride. Or probably that's because when I took dut, I took both dut and fin at the same time. I currently only take fin now, but keep thinking about trying fin daily with taking dut only once a week.

But as I research more, I keep finding something bad about dut, and the fact that dut has never been approved by FDA for hair loss and giving up finally seems they are hiding something.

I wouldnt be that surprised in the coming years if we find new connections between these enzymes and other stuff like this. Its never been a great idea to inhibit these, but there has never been any real alternative. Still going to be years before any alternative to systemic hormone treatments. You definately want to inhibit the least amount possible to still get results. Like using fin instead of dut if possible, but sometimes you have to do what you have do. Dut does work better.

There are two types, type 1 and type 2; from what I understand, it's only losing type 1 that promotes insulin resistance. Finasteride doesn't inhibit type 1, only type 2; and fin has been around for a really long time, so fin should be relatively safe.

Actually it's 3 types, finasteride blocks type 2 and 3

Quote Originally Posted by BaldingHelpMe View Post
    There are two types, type 1 and type 2; from what I understand, it's only losing type 1 that promotes insulin resistance. Finasteride doesn't inhibit type 1, only type 2; and fin has been around for a really long time, so fin should be relatively safe.
    True this study is just relevant to dut, but this assumes we know all there is to know about these enzymes. I dont think we do which is why inhibiting them in general was never a great idea, but its the only option still. Yeah fin blocks type 2 and 3, and they never knew a type 3 even existed back then when they studied it. Again new things pop up they never knew about it

I think it's already been proven that typed 2 can be safely inhibited long term without health issues, it's type 1 that we aren't sure.

OP I'm like you, I tried dut twice, each time at least 8 months I believe. It seemed like long term my hair did worse on dut. I can't say with exact certainty but I believe dut didn't work for me. It makes me suspicious GSK didn't pursue full on fda phase 3 approval and didn't even renew their patent and now generic dut is out on the market.

I wish there were long term studies in dut for hair like we have for fin.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMPB View Post
    OP I'm like you, I tried dut twice, each time at least 8 months I believe. It seemed like long term my hair did worse on dut. I can't say with exact certainty but I believe dut didn't work for me. It makes me suspicious GSK didn't pursue full on fda phase 3 approval and didn't even renew their patent and now generic dut is out on the market.
    Were you just taking dut? Or along with fin? I took both, but I suspect even if I just took dut, I would have still lost so much hair. I was losing hair because of dut.

I'm on fin only right now, and my hair shed a lot less. I'm losing very few hair right now, but those hair that lost I'm still waiting for them to come back.

First time I took both daily. This last time I took dut 4x a week and fin 3-4x a week

To treat insulin resistance helps low carb diet.