+ Reply to Thread

Default Outside Opinions Please! Weird hairline (of course!)

Hello everyone,

It's my first time posting here, so bear with me. I'm unable to see a dermatologist for 8 weeks, so I figured this was my next best bet.

First off, I'm 20. I'm posting because I really would like some outside opinions on what's going on with my hairline. The only hair loss I'm experiencing is at the hairline, from the very center and to the left. The right half of my hairline hasn't moved or changed at all.

The very first sign of hair loss I ever noticed was 4 years ago, at 16. I noticed the faintest amount of hair loss at the very middle/center of my hairline, right in the twirl of a cowlick. Until recently I'd pretty much forgot about it.

I've wondered if it's from running my hand through my hair since that's where it parts, but am unsure. There is some MPB in my family, but all of which has started at late ages (50+). The hair loss is only occurring on the left side of the hairline, and from what I can tell it's not receding back, but up. It also seems somewhat diffused, but that could just be me.

I've also been prescribed Adderall recently and I've considered that this is messing with my androgen levels a bit, or perhaps other hormones imbalances or vitamin imbalances. However, I typically only take it once or twice a week. Other than that, my health is great.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(Sorry for the crapping pictures, working with the only camera I have!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Center.jpg

Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	43198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Center2.jpg

Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	43199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left1.jpg

Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	43200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left2.jpg

Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	43201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left3.jpg

Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	43202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right1.jpg

Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	43203  

Well. I don't know what to say, really. I am currently like 16, turned last week and have a worse condition that you.

Your hairline looks fine man. I don't see anything wrong with it .. maybe a bit receding on the sides but that's just about it.

Inactive

Your hair looks absolutely fine to me. Your hairline is most likely just maturing, and at worst, a slight recession. The density of the most perfect hairline shouldn't be 100%, so the fact that you don't have as much hair at the hairline as you do further back is normal and natural. It'd look weird if it wasn't that way.

There's no way to tell for sure without a consultation (which you have scheduled - so good for you for being proactive), but either way - you seem to be in great shape. I have a feeling it looks a lot worse in your mind than it does in reality - and then of course the more you think about it and obsess about it, the worse it seems to look to you.

In the meantime, try to relax and not focus on it at all until your dermatologist appointment. I know that's easier said than done, but you'll be happier for it.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Thanks for the inputs guys! It really is much appreciated.

It is most definitely worse in my mind, undoubtedly. Regardless, it just seems like weird hair loss; somewhat atypical of any of the various cases of MPB that I've seen. Lacking the general recession part of it, instead going up inwards, instead of back.

I considered a mature hairline as the culprit, but due to all the various opinions I've read online about whether or not a mature hairline is even a thing, or what it is if it is a thing, I feel I lack the proper knowledge.

I'm, like many people I'd assume, reluctant to deem it MPB.

Hey James,

Are you attempting any regimen?

Hey pkipling,

Can you give me a bit more info regarding mature hairlines? I've read so much contradicting information from various sources, it'd be nice to get some directly from someone.

One of the main things I don't understand about it: is it considered early MPB to have a mature hairline; or are they separate things, where a mature hairline would just be a bit of recession but not MPB...?

Thanks in advance.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by tjnucci View Post
    Hey pkipling,

Can you give me a bit more info regarding mature hairlines? I've read so much contradicting information from various sources, it'd be nice to get some directly from someone.

One of the main things I don't understand about it: is it considered early MPB to have a mature hairline; or are they separate things, where a mature hairline would just be a bit of recession but not MPB...?

Thanks in advance.
    A quick google search confirmed why this topic is so confusing. A lot of contradicting information out there.

The way I understand it is this: I definitely think there is a difference between a mature hairline and MPB - so I don't think the people that argue that there's essentially no such thing as a mature hairline are necessarily right. It's quite common for boys to have a lower hairline than they ultimately end up with as men - and I'm talking about men who we would look at and never for a second think "Oh.... they're going bald."

The way I differentiate it is based on the density at the hairline itself. Generally, when I see someone with what I consider to be a more mature hairline, they still have great density at the actual hairline and it has stabilized. If someone is going bald, not only is the density poor at the hairline, but it continues getting weaker the further back the hair goes. This is how my hair was before my HT. This doesn't mean that guys with a mature hairline couldn't eventually lose more hair and develop MPB, but I don't think having one is akin to having the other.

Not sure if that makes sense. Ultimately, this all hinges on whether or not you're of the camp that believes that there is indeed such a thing as a mature hairline in the first place. I also wonder if the guys that say "No such thing. It's just another name for MPB" aren't just trying to make themselves feel better about their own state... Misery does indeed love company, so the more people we can paint with the broad stroke of "He's going bald just like me", the better we feel.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.